Tried to Auction My GW Inaugural Button

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
There are also tons of fake GW's out there. In the early stage of my research, I stumbled upon this passage and I've kept it right at the top of my GW notes.
"In the late 1800s, reproductions of these buttons were made for the 1876 Centennial and the 100th anniversary of the first Inaugural. Other Washington reproductions were made in the 1940s and for the Bicentennial." [/quotes]

I found the article you quoted here: It was written by Michael J. McQuillen and posted on 11/2010 in the Southeastern Antiquing and Collecting Magazine.
I contacted Mr. McQuillen and asked him where he got the information. He said, although he had seem some at shows and exhibits that he thought were reproductions, there was no written documentation to back up his statement.

I don't put a whole lot of faith in that type of assertion that isn't backed by some sort of written documentation.

By your logic, one would need to have some sort of written documentation or assertion that reproductions and fakes do not exist.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By your logic, one would need to have some sort of written documentation or assertion that reproductions and fakes do not exist.

If only one person in this world is claiming there are fake GW's from the 1800's around, then it's up to him to show tangible evidence of that claim.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
If only one person in this world is claiming there are fake GW's from the 1800's around, then it's up to him to show tangible evidence of that claim.

If anyone would take the time to read.....Jesus. The passage that I quoted was the BEGINNING of my research. No one is claiming fakes from the 1800's...it's reproductions. The fakes came about in the 1970's, from China. I quote one source and ya'll get all up in arms, there's plenty of data out there (i.e., more than one person) but I understand that some just don't want their holy grail tarnished.

Conversely, if only one person in this world is claiming that there are NO fakes and/or reproductions, wouldn't it be up to "him" to show tangible evidence of that claim?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
If anyone would take the time to read.....Jesus. The passage that I quoted was the BEGINNING of my research. No one is claiming fakes from the 1800's...it's reproductions. The fakes came about in the 1970's, from China. I quote one source and ya'll get all up in arms, there's plenty of data out there (i.e., more than one person) but I understand that some just don't want their holy grail tarnished.

Conversely, if only one person in this world is claiming that there are NO fakes and/or reproductions, wouldn't it be up to "him" to show tangible evidence of that claim?

If there is plenty of data out there to support your claim, please provide your sources.

I am assuming that you don't read very well either. As I said pretty clearly in one of my previous posts:

Many have been reproduced .. many have not.

Fakery can be applied to MANY things posted in the banner .. gold coins are no exception. Should we do away with the banner altogether for fear that something legit has a remote possibility of being fake?

Also, can you state your source for the information you posted .. I would like to read it in its entirety.

Either you could not or would not state the source of my request, which is sad if you are going to use it to justify your claim that, "Fake GW's have been floating around since the 1970's and it's noteworthy that the Chinese reproductions are very, very good. And you thought the Chinese just faked coins LOL.

You made the claim.. not me.. so it is indeed up to you to provide your evidence.

While I am neither agreeing or disagreeing, I am always looking for reliable information for my reference library. The one you stated, even by the author's own admission, is not reliable information.

One the question.... You state that, "
GW's are flying around here like wheat pennies" .. In your own metal detecting career, what is the ratio of wheat pennies to GW buttons you have found?

Last edited:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
If there is plenty of data out there to support your claim, please provide your sources.

I am assuming that you don't read very well either. As I said pretty clearly in one of my previous posts:

Many have been reproduced .. many have not.

Fakery can be applied to MANY things posted in the banner .. gold coins are no exception. Should we do away with the banner altogether for fear that something legit has a remote possibility of being fake?

Also, can you state your source for the information you posted .. I would like to read it in its entirety.

Either you could not or would not state the source of my request, which is sad if you are going to use it to justify your claim that, "Fake GW's have been floating around since the 1970's and it's noteworthy that the Chinese reproductions are very, very good. And you thought the Chinese just faked coins LOL.

You made the claim.. not me.. so it is indeed up to you to provide your evidence.

While I am neither agreeing or disagreeing, I am always looking for reliable information for my reference library. The one you stated, even by the author's own admission, is not reliable information.

One the question.... You state that, "
GW's are flying around here like wheat pennies" .. In your own metal detecting career, what is the ratio of wheat pennies to GW buttons you have found?

A simple Google search can get you headed in the right direction. Your mind is made up, that's why you need me to produce the source(s) lmao! You'd probably shoot down any source as unreliable anyway.

The point of my initial post was honestly an attempt to get members to rethink why these aren't making the banner anymore. Some folks get downright mad when these don't make the banner. So let me ask you this.....In your opinion, why are GWI's not making the banner?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
A simple Google search can get you headed in the right direction. Your mind is made up, that's why you need me to produce the source(s) lmao!

Don't flatter yourself, hotrod!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"In the late 1800s, reproductions of these buttons were made for the 1876 Centennial and the 100th anniversary of the first Inaugural. Other Washington reproductions were made in the 1940s and for the Bicentennial."

That's the quote I was referring to in the post. I've never seen anyone claim GW's were "reproduced" in the 1800's. The 1970's fakes don't matter because they aren't being dug up. But to claim a dug up GW is fake because it was reproduced in the 1800's is wrong. Never happened, as far as I can tell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread