Tried to Auction My GW Inaugural Button
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Tried to Auction My GW Inaugural Button

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2020
    367 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Tried to Auction My GW Inaugural Button

Listed my GW button that I found with my metal detector a month or so ago on Ebay. I put a two grand even starting bid with no takers on a one week listing. Had 21 watchers and two 1300 offers. I guess that gives me and others a good idea of actual street value.
    A2coins, gunsil and xcopperstax like this.

Mar 2016
    4483 times
    If your in a hurry to sell...
    Otherwise those watchers are going to watch for you to lower your price because they just don't want it that bad.

Someone else later might really need that to complete their collection.
    A2coins and Eastender like this.
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

us
    Can you dig it.

Dec 2016
    NH
    Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT------- Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
    1435 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastender View Post
    Listed my GW button that I found with my metal detector a month or so ago on Ebay. I put a two grand even starting bid with no takers on a one week listing. Had 21 watchers and two 1300 offers. I guess that gives me and others a good idea of actual street value.
    What made you set the starting bid at $2000?
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    29669 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I paid $1100 for mine, about 2 years ago in about the same condition. As more and more are being found, the prices are NOT going up.

Looks like it sold for $ 1300?
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

us
    Can you dig it.

Dec 2016
    NH
    1435 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    A month ago was smack dab in the middle of the pandemic, people out of work, wondering how to feed their families. I'm not surprised you didnt yank $2000 for it. Id display it for awhile til things settle down. Maybe dig another in the mean time at the same spot? They came in sets of 4 I think i read.

us
    Can you dig it.

Dec 2016
    NH
    1435 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by creskol View Post
    Looks like it sold for $ 1300?
    Youre right. Patina matches ebay listing with patina on TNet post from 4/30. The GWI sold today....right before this thread...

Name:  0N5L2zW.gif
Views: 351
Size:  885.6 KB
    Eastender likes this.

Mar 2020
    367 times
    I relisted right after writing this with a buy it now matching two offers I had received. It quickly sold. And I really like the buyer, a fellow detectorist. He got the full history and location. What people are willing to pay determines actual market value. I have a feeling i will find another.

Mar 2020
    367 times
    I think certain memorabilia and Americana will sell to the people who do have money. Some people are unaffected by the pandemic or are managing to make more money off of it. I have been tracking Spanish colonial gold coin sales and they are moving like hot cakes.

Mar 2020
    367 times
    I think many Ebay watchers are people who own one and want to know what the market is giving and ready to sell if the price is right. I've been watching the one listed for almost 5 grand for over a month now and it also has over 20 watchers. When I relisted with the 1300 buy it now it quickly pulled in offers of 800 and 600. So yes people are watching for their price point. One collector urged me to take the offers. If you look at that fancy website of the guy who cataloged a beautiful collection of these, you will notice that he puts down detector finds preferring family hand-down heirlooms instead. I'm posting this as an informational thread, wish I had known the market better before I listed. I'm planning on selling some of my finds to purchase new detecting equipment. It's easier for me to let go of stuff that way.

Mar 2020
    367 times
    I wanted to test demand. Didn't want to undercut myself, allow it to go up if need be, while fielding offers. And because i didn't find a thread like this.

Mar 2020
    367 times
    I think some people are misunderstanding what I wrote. I found the GW on 4-5-20 (of course the detailed posting is here). I listed it on Ebay for one week ending tonight May 18, 2020 , 6:50 PM. In contemplation of how to proceed I started this thread at 7:10 PM. Not wanting to lose a week's momentum, immediately after at 7:17 PM I relisted with buy it now. By 8:36 it was sold after an email interchange between buyer and seller. All up front, squeaky clean, with no need to pull Shatner out of retirement. Buyer and seller satisfied, those interested apprised of real market conditions.
    RustyGold and ToddsPoint like this.

Dec 2004
    East Central Kentucky
    2100 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    I paid $1100 for mine, about 2 years ago in about the same condition. As more and more are being found, the prices are NOT going up.
    I apologize for going a little off topic, "more are being found" is very relevant to the post as well as it should shed some light as to why these buttons no longer make the banner.

Quote Originally Posted by 1320 View Post
    I apologize for going a little off topic, "more are being found" is very relevant to the post as well as it should shed some light as to why these buttons no longer make the banner.
    Even the more rare ones don't make the banner these days, but they are all banner finds in my book.
    gunsil and 1320 like this.
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

Mar 2016
    4483 times
    Popularity has a lot to do with what antiques and collectibles go for.
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links