Have Permit and Starting Beach Hunting

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have my Suffolk County (eastern half of Long Island, NY) Metal Detecting Permit opening up literally miles of coastline for exploration. Today I began my self-guided training into beach and salt water metal detecting. And these mostly deserted stretches of rocky beaches have witnessed the very first boats coming over from the CT Puritan Colony via the north fork around Southold beginning in the 1650's, all the way through the great whaling ships which finally ceased their world-crossing hunts back in 1847 (Shelter Island in photo background). It's great to get away from the ticks in the forests as they seem to be peaking now. And I'm finally using my wireless headphones which also helped cut a biting and relentless NE wind.

My White's Spectra V3i has done very well in the surrounding forests but is not versatile enough for the wet ocean environment. The Saltwater Program is great. I was hitting depths of 10 -12" but not trusting the VDI's as these get quirky at depth even on land. The machine initially gives a solid hit with good reading, then after processing time with more swings gives the iron range. Many of these beaches are not swimming spots or places where people hang out. Largely deserted except for hikers. So not a lot of garbage to weed through, but chunks and pieces of nautical-related iron and steel. Don't want to waste my time on that. And this sand is rocky making scoops ineffective. So I still like the idea of discrimination and am looking to buy a CTX 3030. Weight doesn't bother me. I can't see myself going to just tone without visuals on a PI machine. Today I found three beautiful fishing lures and gave them to fishermen offering to trade me striped bass.

I know I have to learn how to read tidal washes and work storm surges. Any tips appreciated. tres61.jpg tres62.jpg

Last edited:

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
you mean you gave them the lures with no intention of anything in return, but they were gracious enough to send you with some striper, because bartering with sport caught game isnt legal. Good luck swinging those beaches, there is surely some very interesting finds waiting for you.

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one-year detecting permit was $35, general pass for the park system good for three years was $30. I have not as of yet paid for a year-round parking sticker which is $75. Might be necessary after Memorial Day. And I didn't accept any fish. I was dry fishing.

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I grew up in Suffolk County. Good for you, I’m sure that you will hit some excellent targets. Good luck!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good Luck on your beach adventures! :icon_thumleft:

Djreversal

Greenie
Jun 6, 2020
Long Island, New York
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am getting my detector this week to start wondering around looking for things.. will be getting my beach / park permits as well.. I am in bohemia.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you fit your CTX with the water adaption kit before getting it wet. A good set of waterproof headphones are a must.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend who is one of the most successful detectorists I know swings a CTX3030. It's heavy. He's got one of those harnesses that makes it so he can swing all day. Nothing escapes him!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread