possible clay pottery fragment

dogfish

Greenie
May 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I am new to this forum and only found it while trying to identify a piece of clay "something" in the same spot I found lots of arrowhead fragments and knapping stone so I think it is native american but would love to know for sure. I do not know anything about clay pottery so any info will help. The piece has a burgundy brownish paint like surface on one side and more of a glazed surface on the other side. I found it in west TN and from what I have read it is most likely chickasaw if it is even pottery. Thanks in advance for any help. IMG_6507.PNG IMG_6508.PNG

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like part of a clay something. I hope someone can ID it! :occasion14:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's glazed it's not Indian. They never did that.(at least not where I live) Looks like a piece of field tile. Gary

OP
OP
D

dogfish

Greenie
May 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is definitely clay and I'm 99.9% sure its man made, the "paint" on one side has a chip and it appears to have what looks like uneven brush marks. This was found on my family farm next to a creek a mile from any home sites and among many point pieces. IMG_6509.PNG

OP
OP
D

dogfish

Greenie
May 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was found very close to the same spot IMG_6510.PNG

OP
OP
D

dogfish

Greenie
May 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don't know anything about pottery but I did read that there was glazing being used pretty far back made from natural materials but not sure about this area.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would post it in the Native American section of the Artifacts forum. It’s sort of near the bottom of the list of forums.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread