What beast would get over a 5' stock fence without any damage and kill ......

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, growing up I had a small flock of about ten white ducks and we ate duck eggs all the time. My sister and I raised the ducks from tiny chicks and they were like our pets. One night when they were a couple years old raccoons were able to open the simple latch on the duck house and they killed every one, carrying off two. Knew it was coons by their bloody little footprints all over. We got more ducks but three years later they were also all killed by coons and we gave up raising ducks for eggs.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coon, fishercat, bobcat are my guesses not knowing your location

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The fisher is a small, carnivorous mammal native to North America. It is a member of the mustelid family, and is in the monospecific genus Pekania. The fisher is closely related to, but larger than, the American marten.
B1665101-EE24-487E-A222-0845F640E557.jpeg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weasal, did I spell that right? Headache...

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wolverine, depending where you live. The others mentioned are the more likely suspects.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Coyote can easily jump over a six foot fence so they would be my first guess for the killing. Could be one or could be a couple, killing just for the fun of it.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Wolverine, depending where you live. The others mentioned are the more likely suspects.

I live in Central Virginia.. sorta at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
A Coyote can easily jump over a six foot fence so they would be my first guess for the killing. Could be one or could be a couple, killing just for the fun of it.

I know we have them here .. or had them here, but haven't seen or heard any for quite a while. Whatever it was left a nice hole in their heads!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 1.20.54 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 1.20.54 PM.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 1.22.25 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 1.22.25 PM.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Creskol, come to think of it a big Great Horned Owl can do that. They are HUGE, hunt primarily at night and one swooped down on my friend's pea hen some years ago and took its head right off. I'm thinking owl now. They have a thing for going for the head. I could think now my headache is gone. Weasals generally strangle critters. Had one do that to a couple chickens years ago.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Creskol, come to think of it a big Great Horned Owl can do that. They are HUGE, hunt primarily at night and one swooped down on my friend's pea hen some years ago and took its head right off. I'm thinking owl now. They have a thing for going for the head. I could think now my headache is gone. Weasals generally strangle critters. Had one do that to a couple chickens years ago.

I thought owl or eagle, too, but couldn't figure how they would kill 23 so quickly. I always figured they would swoop down and snatch one.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe they are just jerks...or got greedy and went for a bigger one. Around here I hear them in pairs or more squallering half the night.

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, larger cat(wild) most likely. You could call local animal control in your area and inquire. I just read foxes do this too.

Last edited:

Louie D

Nov 16, 2018
The Motor City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully it wasn't done by humans, when I hear about this kind of act, teenage vandalism usually comes to mind.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too live in central Va and raise poultry and fowl ,I feel it was a coon teaching young how to kill . taking a big goose over the fence eliminates birds of prey, mink and fishers.
leaving a mess eliminates a fox , they don't make a mess.dogs make a huge mess but not likely to take one over the fence.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I too live in central Va and raise poultry and fowl ,I feel it was a coon teaching young how to kill . taking a big goose over the fence eliminates birds of prey, mink and fishers.
leaving a mess eliminates a fox , they don't make a mess.dogs make a huge mess but not likely to take one over the fence.

You are just about an hour away from where I live!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread