metal detecting school yards

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here in Connecticut a number of towns have in fact closed the schoolyards. There are fences that are locked and there are many that have signs saying that NO ONE is allowed on the fields and even a few that have policemen sitting in patrol cars at the entrance to the school. I live near the Massachusetts border and some of the towns there are doing the same thing. I've hunted schoolyards for 38 years and never before has this happened. Hunt them while you can......

Last edited:

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last school yard I hunted " many years ago" I was told to leave by the cops within 15 mins. advised I was trespassing. but I can bring a dog there to crap on the grass and that's ok. people all over the property doing what they enjoy except I had one of those dang Geiger counter things.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hit a few tot lots the past 2 weekends, even though they were either locked or had the caution tape around the swings and other items. Never had an issue.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last school yard I hunted " many years ago" I was told to leave by the cops within 15 mins. advised I was trespassing. but I can bring a dog there to crap on the grass and that's ok. pe ople all over the property doing what they enjoy except I had one of those dang Geiger counter things.
I hear ya the Dogs poop and pee and dig holes but thats ok. We pick up trash and Guess who pays for all the Schools the Taxpayers US!!!!!!!!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hunt school yard that is not physically blocked and of course leave no trace! :occasion14:

A few weeks ago I was working a large school yard and the police showed up. They watched me for over an hour, never said a word, then left. They have seen me before and probably think " there is that crazy fool digging again". Oh yes, found a lot of jewelry and coins since nobody is detecting, but me. :icon_thumleft:

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunt school yard that is not physically blocked and of course leave no trace! :occasion14:

A few weeks ago I was working a large school yard and the police showed up. They watched me for over an hour, never said a word, then left. They have seen me before and probably think " there is that crazy fool digging again". Oh yes, found a lot of jewelry and coins since nobody is detecting, but me. :icon_thumleft:

The schools here have 24''x 36'' No Trespassing signs and security cameras everywhere. no digging on any county owned property .

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never had any problem in school yards where I'm at. By the same token, I don't give them any reason either. Cover all of your holes and don't leave a mess. If asked to leave, then do so.

richtink

Oct 28, 2016
atlanta
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Other
In Georgia you can hunt the school yard, if you have written permission from the principal.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My logic is try anywhere that’s not expressly forbidden and always have a backup plan. Mostly though I go in secluded wooded areas or open fields. Rarely a schoolyard

richtink

Oct 28, 2016
atlanta
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Other
So, why bother to live in a place that’s so stranglehold?

I was born and raised in Michigan until I was old enough to escape. I was stationed in Georgia and fell in love with the southern life style. I can metal detect and prospect year around here. I bet that is difficult to do in the far north.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I was born and raised in Michigan until I was old enough to escape. I was stationed in Georgia and fell in love with the southern life style. I can metal detect and prospect year around here. I bet that is difficult to do in the far north.
My detecting season is March to May then October till freeze. I can’t deal with the Michigan heat, it’s bad!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread