New WOT for my Minelab is on its way!! Does anyone own one?

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Hi all,

I have a new WOT coming in tomorrow for my Explorer ll. I'm just excited about it and thought I'd let you all know. I sold enough of my little xmas ornaments to allow me to buy an early Christmas present ;D I'll be hunting the beach in the winter so I thought the extra depth and coverage would be great. I hunt lots of fields too so same goes there. I can't wait to hit all the fields that I already visited. Does anyone else own a WOT??

rayray3

Jan 17, 2006
Northern WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab EX2, Ace 250, Garrett pinpointer
I want one for my EXII as well. Please let us know how it works out. I also want a 5" coil for it. I hear the sunray 5" is the way to go. Any thoughts there fellow detectorists?

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Yes and it is a great coil. You will love it but unless you have arms like a gorilla think swingy-thingy so you can hunt all day ;D

OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
rayray3 said:
I want one for my EXII as well. Please let us know how it works out. I also want a 5" coil for it. I hear the suray 5" is the way to go. Any thoughts there fellow detectorists?
[/qnuote]

Hi Sunray,

I have been using a 5" Exceleator coil for years and I absolutely love it on my Minelab Exll. I have been able to hunt in very iron infested areas. For me, it seems that depth is not as good as the stock 10" coil. I have picked IH pennys at 5" but would have been masked by iron with the 10" coil. I can't say enough good about a small coil on the Minelab. It pin points like a charm too, no need for a pinpointer with the 5" coil. I know that Sunray has a great reputation so you may be fine there. I was lucky and got mine used off of the forum for $75.00 and it has been great. Just make sure that you get one that specifically says that it will work on the Minelab. I had a friend buy one for his whites and it would not work on his whites but worked fine on my EXll. Good luck and I hope you get the 5" coil.

Ed-

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wot is a WOT and woy wod I wont won? ???

DCMatt

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
A WOT is a 15 inch orange DD coil made by coilteck

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an old field report for the WOT. I have one on my Sovereign GT and it is great at the beach or anywhere where you have a lot of area to cover.

Many dealers, here is a Link to one dealer for WOT http://www.tcmetaldetectors.com/coiltek.htm

COILTEK 15 INCH WOT SEARCHCOIL
By Andy Sabisch

From page 52 of the November issue of Lost Treasure magazine.
Copyright © 2000, 2000 Lost Treasure, Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minelab is a brand of metal detectors that has only been around since the mid-1980s; however, in that short period of time they have developed a line of detectors with features found on no other brand. As with most of the detector companies, Minelab’s focus on metal detector technology has left the door open for other companies to develop accessories to further enhance the performance of the detectors they build. Coiltek is one of those companies. Coiltek opened their doors in 1988 initially producing coils for Minelab itself. As Minelab grew and began to build their coils in-house, Coiltek started to design optional coils for the Minelab line that provided users with enhanced detection capabilities. Initially their efforts were focused on the line of gold detectors since much of the detecting in Australia was electronic prospecting. With the rise in popularity of the Sovereign and Excalibur for coin and relic hunting worldwide, Coiltek worked on developing a coil for those models as well. The result is the 15 inch Double-D coil affectionately called the Wonderful Orange Thing or ‘WOT’ for short and can be used on either the Sovereign or Excalibur (with the use of a special waterproofing kit). Having been an avid Minelab user for more than 10 years, I was anxious to see how the WOT performed in the field.

Features

The biggest difference between the WOT and the large coils available for other brands is the coil design itself. Most coils on the market today are concentric coils; i.e., two coils, one slightly smaller and placed inside the other. The coil sends out a cone-shaped pattern that gets smaller the deeper the signal penetrates. What this means is that at a depth of 7-8 inches, an 8 inch coil is only “looking” at a 2-3 inch area resulting in much unsearched ground. Unless you overlap each sweep by 50 percent or more, you will wind up missing many deeper targets. The coils used by Minelab on most of their detectors are Double-D coils; i.e., two coils in the shape of a large V that overlap in a narrow strip down the center of the coil. This results in a pattern that is only 1-2 inches wide but the entire length of the coil. It also detects as deeply at the front of the coil as it does at the back requiring no overlap to avoid missing deeply buried targets. By it’s inherent characteristics, the Double-D coil retains a high degree of sensitivity to smaller targets even with larger coil sizes something that does not happen with concentric coils.

Coiltek spent a considerable amount of time and money developing the WOT to ensure it would actually provide enhanced performance over what was currently on the market. Not wanting to simply re-package existing technology, they tested the new design in areas around the world. The final product is the WOT and it is touted as a coil for coin hunters, beach hunters, relic hunters and cache hunters.

The WOT is 15 inches in diameter; however, the open design and materials used in it’s construction make it extremely light for the size. Combine the coil’s light weight with the center mounting point, one can use the WOT for extended periods without being worn out.

There are no adjustments or re-calibrations required when installing the WOT on a Sovereign other than the slight adjustment you typically make on the digital meter. To install the WOT on an Excalibur requires that you cut the cable going between the control housing and the standard coil and then install a special connector provided by Coiltek. A waterproof cover completes the process and Coiltek assures you that no water will get into the connection. Based on feedback from people that have made the conversion, it works as advertised; however, realize that cutting the cable will void your warranty.

Field Test

The first site I took the Sovereign / WOT combination to was a Civil War skirmish site that was being cleared for a new development just north of Atlanta. The area had been hunted for more than 25 years and I knew that the relics that remained would more than likely be quite deep. Since the area was fairly trash-free, I opted to search in the All-Metal mode and check any signals in discriminate. Walking up a slope that had been recently cleared; I received a solid signal that checked good in Discriminate. Using a mattock, I started to dig in the hard red Georgia clay. I re-checked the hole several times and finally, at more than 10 inches, I saw a Williams Cleaner bullet partially exposed in the hole. Pleased with my initial success, I continued up towards the top of the hill where some trenches were still evident. On the way, I recovered four more bullets at similar depths. It was interesting to note that there were signs of recent digging by other relic hunters in the same area and they had obviously missed the bullets I had found. The trenches were a little more difficult to search than the open slope due to the size of the coil and the confined nature of the trenches.

After some trial-and-error, I found that standing in the middle of the trench and sweeping the coil along the sides parallel to the center worked the best. The deep leaf cover made it difficult to accurately determine the depth of targets I recovered but they ranged from 4 to more than 12 inches underneath the leaves themselves. In addition to several shotgun shells and other modern trash, I did find three more bullets and an infantry cast I button. On the way back to the truck I took a shortcut through the woods; however, I found that the thick undergrowth made it extremely difficult to sweep the WOT.

The next site I visited was an area on the south side of Atlanta where some of the Confederate trench works from the defense of the city still remained. Some of the area was part of a park and was covered with grass. This made searching with the larger WOT almost effortless compared to hunting in the heavy underbrush at the previous site I had been at. As with most sites here in the south, this one had been heavily hunted before but I was optimistic about the capabilities of the WOT in detecting some of the deeper targets that might still be present. Opting for the All-metal mode for maximum depth, I started searching along the tree line. Less than five minutes went by before I received a clear signal. It turned out to be a round musket ball at just under 10 inches. Nearby a .58 caliber bullet was recovered at nearly 12 inches. Over the next two hours I recovered 14 bullets including one carved into a dice piece. As a point of comparison, my hunting partner searching the same area with his Sovereign equipped with a 10 inch coil found 3 bullets. On several occasions he came over to check my signals and was unable to pick them up even at maximum sensitivity and using the All-Metal mode.

My job transferred me to central Pennsylvania and brought most of my detectors and accessories along with me including the WOT. I was interested to see how well it faired when used for coin hunting. There was one old abandoned school nearby that I along with dozens of other treasure hunters had searched many times over the years. I know that no place is ever truly worked out but a good day was one or two clad coins any more. I put the WOT on my Sovereign and decided to spend an hour or two at the old school. Starting out in All-Metal I was quite surprised at the number of signals that I was picking up. A check in Discriminate showed that they were mostly ferrous trash so I opted to use the discriminate mode as my search mode. I hunted this site several times over the next week and found 43 coins including 5 silver dimes and 12 wheats, a silver ring, token and other trinkets. Many had been deeper than I had ever found coins in this area before — 8 inches or more!

I have talked with beach hunters on both the East and West coasts that have had phenomenal success with the WOT in areas where they were not finding anything with the 10 inch Minelab coils. Coins at depths approaching two feet in the wet salt sand and larger items such as watches or pendants even deeper. The one complaint that I did hear was that it was tiring digging that deep for targets — I guess one could have worse problems!

Summary

If you own a Minelab Sovereign or Excalibur and you want to reach targets that are beyond the reach of the 800 or 1000 Minelab coils, then the Coiltek WOT is something you should seriously think about adding to your equipment arsenal. It provides a significant increase in detection depth and unlike larger concentric coils used on other brands, it does not loose any sensitivity to smaller targets with the increased depth. My experience as well as that of others I talked to showed that many targets the WOT detected were beyond the depth of standard coils.

The WOT is ideal for searching open areas such as grassy parks or sandy beaches. Wooded areas pose a challenge in terms of being able to sweep a large coil but in most cases, you should be able to work it around most obstructions!

The Coiltek WOT sells for $349 and comes with a one-year “no-questions-asked” warranty. An introductory special brings the cost down under $200 which makes this a real bargain in terms of the additional performance it provides. The model that fits on the Excalibur sells for $60 more.

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
I read somewhere that a minelab with a wot on could perform to the depths of a pi machine I hope this is right as Im getting a sov gt and am plannibg on hitting the beach

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is another artice I found and forgot about.

http://groups.msn.com/MinelabExplorerXSusers/wotcoiltips.msnw

Deep Target WOT Hunting Tips & Tricks
If you are reading this you are probably thinking about buying a WOT coil for the Minelab Explorer. Will it really go deeper than the stock coil? Can you really use it on land in a city park? Or maybe you already own a WOT and you are not having much luck with the coil so you are looking for some tips. Well I probably have a few hundred hours on my WOT coil and I think the following will help answer some questions and assist you in getting the most out of this great coil. Note I'm not associated with Doc or Coiltek, I'm just a metal detecting junky like you. After I bumped into half a dozen people who were struggling with this coil and the Explorer I contacted Doc and offered to contribute some tips and tricks. Anyway here is my WOT story...

I took up metal detecting just a little over 2 years ago now and the Minelab Explorer was my first detector. Soon after I got the itch to buy a second coil and figured that since I live in a very historic area most parks around here have been hunted to death in the 1-6 inch deep range, I thought buy a big coil and go deep. All the folks on the detecting forum said no, they said you can't use a big coil like that in a park and suggested that I buy a smaller coil instead to pick through the trash. They meant well of course but I decided to try the big coil anyway and purchased a WOT against all advice. Now as a newby I took a lot of ribbing for swinging the WOT but that started to quiet down after I started posting mercs and barbers from the hunted out parks five nights a week. It went dead silent after I started posting seated dimes, half dimes, and gobs of IH's, half dollars, a bust dime, 3 cent piece, 1700 colonials, 1700's large cents, well you get the picture. Here's some newbie thats only been detecting for a few months digging up all manner of finds from hunted to death parks.

Folks the WOT coil is a KILLER coil that has demonstrated its ability in the field. In these two years I have found over 400 silver coins alone and most of the best were with the WOT, at least 200 silvers, several hundred IH's, and all my 1700's colonials and pre 1800 large cents. Yeah but wouldn't the stock coil have gotten a good signal on those coins to? Not the deep ones, not the ones on edge. Sure if the coin were lying flat at 7 inches the stock coil would pick it up but you are going to read about some targets that ID'd good using the WOT that the stock coil ID'd as a rock solid iron signal.

First tip, plan to hunt deep with the WOT thats what its designed to do and hunting deep is different than hunting 1-7 inch good signals with the stock coil. Deep targets behave and sound different and if you are like me you will walk right over them until you learn to recognize them. Case in point, I have a site which is not too large, maybe two football fields in size. I hunted it hard 4 times when I first purchased the WOT and found absolutely nothing but clad in the 1-7 inch range. I got outhunted more than once by that other top brand detector of all things which at least picked up a couple of rosies and a Washington quarter. I was all over that field because in 1860 it was a town square and I had heard there were some old coins found there yet I was going home empty handed time after time.

Then one day I decided to open up the Explorer iron mask to -16 which is zero discrimination, and I decided to dig every signal 8 inches or deeper. That day was like turning on a light switch, at first indian head cents started popping up all over the place. Then a barber dime, teen mercs, more barber dimes, then seated dimes back to 1840's, then a bust dime, seated half dimes, a half dollar, 3 cent piece, two cent pieces, barber quarters, SL quarters, and gobs more indian head cents, silver rings, silver religious medals, gold rings, and other jewelry items. My new other brand swinging detecting buddy who showed me this site was now having a cow. To date I have dug at least 150 silver coins from this site and over 200 Indian Head cents.

So what was I doing wrong those first several hunts? Well this site as it turns out is a sink hole and the coins are very deep, you find beaver tales 7 inches down and the good coins were all 8-12. 150+ years of grass growing over the top of them plus this place is a swamp each spring. I just happened to luck upon the perfect site to learn how to use the WOT and Explorer on deep coins. After I finished with this site I took what I learned over to the two big parks in town where I had also been skunked many a day and stripped them of several hundred more coins. Are you getting excited about the WOT yet?

Next tip, deep coins don't ID perfectly on the screen and just grow fainter as they get deeper until the go silent, oh no they don't behave like that at all. With the stock coil a silver dime or Indian Head cent at the edge of its detection depth can ID and sound very much like iron in the iron mask -14 area, yes top left. Its the ground mineralization, the Explorer can see a little silver and copper down that deep with the stock coil but mostly it sees a bunch of iron mineralization in the soil and at some point in depth that pulls the signal way over to the iron side. Heres where the WOT comes in, lets say an Indian Head cent is ID'ing rock solid iron using the stock coil, the added depth the WOT gets will pull that signal back over to the coin area. It won't be textbook coin but the sound/behave like a coin and the screen ID will improve enough that you will dig it.

Not convinced? Well we have checked many signals in the field before the target was dug that ID'd iron using the stock coil but ID'd coin using the WOT. I have dug large cents and silver quarters at 12+ that ID rock solid iron on the other top brand detector but textbook with the WOT. I dug my best 1786 colonial while teaching someone else to use the Explorer, it ID'd 100% textbook with the WOT but gave a mostly iron signal with the stock coil. Trust me, the WOT will improve the signal enough on the deep ones to pull that coin back to the good side of the screen and decrease your chance of missing it. By the way since learning that coins can ID as iron with the stock coil I have learned to dig iron signals that are trying to behave like a coin with the stock coil and found many a coin that way.

So how far off can a deep coin ID? The answer is WAY off, with the stock coil I have dug IH's which hit top left near iron mask -14 and bottom right near rusty crowncaps and pull tab pieces. I have dug silver coins which ID'd middle of the screen, near nickels, right in the rusty crowncap area, even top left not quite to the nail area. The WOT helps pull the coins back up to the coin area which is a big help. The WOT also loves silver and hits hardest on silver coins. Once you dig a few silvers with the WOT you will recognize them right away.

So what is this round/coin shaped tone? Coins, especially deep coins with Fast=OFF and Deep=ON give a nice robust signal which is wide as you sweep across it. Your average nail or trash item might give a signal 2-4 inches across as you sweep it but a deep coin will give you a good 4-6, this is what I mean by a target behaving like a coin and I have dug many a coin that sounded like crap and ID in wierdsville on the screen simply based on the shape of the sound, wide, robust and fluty. The BEST way to learn this is to simply pick a depth, 8 inches, 7 inches, and spend a couple of hours digging every single signal that deep or deeper. You will quickly learn how small shallow trash falsely ID'ing deeper than it really is sounds, it may ID deep but as you sweep it its short and chopped off. Rusty bottlecaps trying to fake you out and sound like silver are flat and monotoned not fluty and they tend to pop as you complete your sweep. I have dug some big silver directly under rusty bottlecaps that ID'd in the textbook rusty bottlecap area for no other reason than they were giving off fluty silver tones and should not be.

WOT in Trash? You bet, I dug a silver half once at 8 inches, I cut a 6 inch plug and in doing so I cut one bottlecap in half and there was another stuck in the plug above the coin...go with those fluty tones. You have to go very slow and pick at the trash, expect to finds some coins and you will, work different angles, overlap your swings and sneak up on them. I have dug a few which only hit on the front of the coil, any further forward and they were masked by iron or nearby shallow trash. Now obviously if the trash is insane put the WOT away and go with a smaller coil.

WOT in iron? Yes, in my area rusty nails are everywhere, I don't think you could take a swing in many of our parks and not hear a rusty nail but the WOT loves silver remember and I have dug silver that was fused to rusty nails and many coins stained by iron they were so close.

PinPointing? First remember the WOT is a hot coil, it will pick up shallow near surface trash several inches off the front of the coil so the first thing I do is check a coil sized area around my target to see if I'm not picking up some shallow coin out in front. Then to pinpoint I use the center 5 inches of the coil, the WOT hits hardest in the center and so you can use that to zero in. Get centered as best you can then turn 90 degrees and narrow it down further. But remember deep targets won't pinpoint on a dime you so better cut a larger plug unless you want to gouge the crap out of a nice CC mintmark seated dime like ahem some people did. In fact I gouged, bent, sliced, and otherwise mutilated many a silver coin until I purchased the Sunray X1 probe. I have rarely done so since.

Coins on Edge? People let me tell you, nothing loves a coin on edge like the WOT, I have dug so many that I'm convinced the geometry of the magnetic field lines the WOT coil gives off must intersect those on edge coins better, its a coin on edge killer. Now you may not get as robust/wide a signal when they are straight up so keep a watch out but generally the WOT will get your attention by giving you a few fluty tones. My 1833 bust dime was straight up and down 7 inches down and that area had been pounded by all sorts of machines. Uh...second base on a trash laden ball diamond by the way.

Sensitivity & Machine Stability - First off forget semi-auto mode, adjust your sens manually because semi-auto overcompensates. Second crank the sens up folks, now if the screen cursor is jumping all over the place and the machine is going nuts back off but I'll put up with a little jumpy behavior if I can run the sens at 26-28, I never go higher than 28 with the WOT. Many people say don't run your sens too high and maybe there are times that might degrade a good signal but I have tested tough signals in the field that were iffy at sens 28 and simply not there at all at 22. I hunted around a statue in Portland, OR in super black sand like ground at 26 manual and could find nothing with the stock coil...I got mad, ripped the coil cover off, cranked it to 32 and what do you know out popped several wheats and a couple mercs, sens = depth.

I run my volume on High, max limits, max variability, max sens, etc. I run my gain at 7, its best with both the stock and WOT coils. With these settings don't waste time straining to hear a faint signal, most will give you a good medium loud to loud response. Every once in a while I get a faint signal thats a bit fluty, maybe 1/3 as fluty as dime sitting flat and those are generally deep severely on edge coins. Flat mono-tone i.e. non-fluty high tones that are faint and read deep will be rusty nails.

Iron Mask - hey hunt using a reasonable amount of discrimination if you want to but set your iron mask screen to -16, wide open all metal, then when you think you got a good signal switch to iron mask mode and sweep it again, notice that with nothing discriminated out you get a full clear signal unlike the chopped up discrimination signal. Also notice that discrimination of nearby iron and trash can pull the coin signal off center when pinpointing, with nothing disc'd out its MUCH easier to pinpoint both the WOT and stock coil. I'd bet money this jump to iron mask trick will help you avoid digging some of the iron and trash, and you will also be amazed how much better a coin can sound with no disc.

Last tip, buy a "SwingyThingy" for the WOT, with it I can detect all day verses maybe 2 hours without. Get that coil right on the ground too, as little air space between it and the ground as possible.

Well thats about it, the WOT is a proven coil that will perform. Best of luck hunting the deep ones.

Charles"

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful posts Treasure_Hunter!!!!!!

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
I didn't see any increase with depth with the 15in WOT over the stock coil on the EXPII. It was rather disappointing. It does cover alot of ground though. Good luck with yours

OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Thanks for all your replies. I used my WOT a few times in the woods before the ground froze up for winter. I did not find anything at great depth but I'm not discouraged just because nothing was under my coil at that time ;D I like it so far. I don't find it much heavier than the stock coil. It pinpoints like a charm!!

One odd thing I noticed is that in the woods when I scan over granite rocks I get a ton of high tones as in the typical minelab high pitch signals that we sometimes get when running ferrous sounds. Usually those tones are accompanied by a cross hair buried in the lower right indicating corroded iron. This tone with the WOT is higher than silver and the cross hair target is buried in top right. I know it is probably just hot rocks but man this coil is super sensitive to that. I've tried lowering sensitivity, gain, changing audio noise, tried conduct sounds and still no change. As long as I'm not near granite things seem to be OK.

I plan on taking it to the beach for the winter hunting season. If depth does not pan out, the coverage I get sure does. I'll keep you all posted and hopefully post a really nice gold ring from the beach this winter ;D

Ed-

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The WOT is a hot coil, don't have to be over a target to get a response, just close. If there are multiple targets under it, it gives you lots of tones all at once. When it has happen to me I start pinpointing from different directions, sorta like sneaking up on the targets. I found a spot in a playground where there was lots of coins in about a 6 foot or less circle, Sov went nuts at first and I wondered what was going on till I started digging the targets I pinpointed , I found it was full of coins, unfortunately all clad.

Just some observations from a newbie....Good luck and good hunting... ;)

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
I've been saving for an Excal, the WOT is alot cheaper. Now I'm all confused. I've got till late winter to decide.
What's with the waterproofing kit? Do they make a coil worth owning that isn't waterproof? Does the iron mask work somewhat reliably with the WOT? I don't want to dig square nails 12 inches down.
How about pinpointing? Do you have to dig a 12 inch diameter hole 12 inches deep?
You know there's alot of good machines out there that will go 8 inches deep. If one of these things can go up to 4 inches more,,,,,,,, I guess I need one. Afterall there aren't alot of "virgin" sites out there anymore.
Man, I hope Santa is reading this.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get confused, the WOT is just a coil, not a detector. I have one on my Minelab Sovereign GT. It is a DD coil and a hot coil at that. It is the only coil I use on my Sov when I am hunting the salt water beaches. In the water I use one of my Excal 1000s, but if I am not in the water deeper then mid calf I strictly use the Sov with the WOT. It is my "beach vaccum" ;D

The water proofing kits we talk about is so you do not have to use a coil cover. The coil covers trap in sand, sometimes it is black sand and it gives you false signals and will drive you and your detector nuts. I was going to use the epoxy I have but after reading another thread, I am looking into the Rhino coating you but on pickup trucks beds.

With my WOT I can cover more area faster, go deeper, and you don't have to overlap as far, plus the WOT does not have to be over the target to get a signal, mine gives me a signal when i am close to target, before the coil goes over it. I don't know if all WOT's do this, I know mine does and I have read others do.

Don't misunderstand my meaning, the WOT is a good coil, but it is not magic, you still have to follow all the rules of good detecting, but the WOT is a great addition to a detector on the beach.

You will not have a problem with square nails with the Excal, it nulls out iron, but if your going to have a WOT on it you will have to modify it, Excal's comes with 8 " or 10" coil hard wired into electronics.

Boththe Sovereign and the Excal are easy to pinpoint with, even with the WOT on my Sov I have no problem pinpointing with it or my Excals On the beach and in the water you will want a good scoop, the bigger the basket the better.

Just a little advice from someone who learned the hard way, do yourself a big favor, don't try to buy a cheap scoop, you will only break it and end up buying another one. Save the money your going to waste on a $40-$60 scoop and just buy good one to begin with. Once a target is located you want to recover it as fast as possible so you can move on to next target. You do not want to be wasting time digging with a small scoop when your in the water trying to recover the target in between waves rolling in. I have an old "beach brute", bought it used for $100, 6" wide basket, handle is 5 foot long and it is literally a backhoe.

Even on the beach you will want a big scoop if your in wet sand. Holes are easy to cover up on the beach, it's not like digging in the dirt. Please always cover your holes, even on the beach. Kids can digs pits, no one will say anything, but if we leave holes there will be complaints and we could end up losing a hunting area.

Do not mean to imply your not familiar with any of this.

Good luck.........

detectoraddict

Aug 3, 2004
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, DFX, F-75
I've had a couple WOT coils and never could get use to the weight. I switched to the Excelerator 10x14 which has a much better balance and feel to it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange, I do not even feel a difference in weight between the stock 10" and the WOT on my Sovereign GT, but I also use the harness so I don't really feel much weight anyway and that may be why.

I have hunted for 5+ hours with the WOT many times and never had sore arms, sore legs from walking the beaches, but never my arms. I will not hunt with out the harness, it is just too comfortable with it and it allows me to let go of the detector and hangs at my side. I carry 2 harnesses all the time, one I am using and one as a backup in case I lose one.

SilverSleuth

Oct 5, 2007
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does WOT mean?

I have a 16 1/2" Excelerator 2 coil on my SE and I'm pretty happy with it.

bbbb006.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread