Green Large Cent

thursdaythunder

Aug 13, 2019
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold / AT Pro / Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this little gem over the weekend. I scraped the dirt crust off after it dried, now here we are.
Just based on what you see in the pics would you go any further or leave it alone? It looks like there's good detail but the reverse looks kinda sketchy.
Please let me know what you think, and a simple method if you have one :icon_thumleft:

Berfore
FOTO_20200531_161227.jpg

After
FOTO_20200531_195230.jpg
FOTO_20200531_194954.jpg

richtink

Oct 28, 2016
atlanta
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know much about how to preserve the value, but that is a cool find. Could you get the date?

OP
OP
thursdaythunder

thursdaythunder

Aug 13, 2019
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately with the way it sits I cannot get a date. Hopefully with some insight & a cleaning method I will!

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes you can see in a rubbing with Sometimes you can see using charcoal on thin paper as a rubbing what you cannot with the naked eye.

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I personally would leave it alone. You have an ID and you can see the front pretty well. I know that I have damaged coins in the past trying to clean them further, and wished I had just left the coin as-is.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, congrats!

I find these old coppers all the time, many in this condition. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to make it right!

Never use water on old coppers. I have found that leaving a slight coating of dirt to add contrast sometimes shows more.

OP
OP
thursdaythunder

thursdaythunder

Aug 13, 2019
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'm going to leave the old girl alone. I've already got the ID which is better than most coppers I've dug.
I did experiment with some electrolysis on a few IHP's that ended in some 50/50 results. Also tried a couple other methods I didn't care for.

Thank you all for the replys & Happy Hunting!

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried to clean large cent's like this with Olive oil before and I have also used hot vinegar soak and neither works well usually just darkens the copper and you lose all details. Best is as is with a little dirt for contrast as Professor already stated.

If you have already worked it with a toothpick then that is as good as it will get. They make a special tool kit/pencils but I haven't got enough coins to justify the cost.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All up to you even if it was a key date it is eviornmentally damaged and in that condition would not be worth much. Coin collecters are extreamly picky even a hairline scratch and knock of 90 percent of the value. I collect for me thats an awesome coin

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I let my coppers sit in olive oil for a week or so. Some people on the forum do not approve of this, but I've never had a problem with the coin looking any worse, and in most cases it does bring out the detail and maybe even a date.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions