Recommend a first detector?

halo71

Jun 4, 2020
Lincolnton, GA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New member here. Somewhat of a novice. I use to detect with my father-in-law (now ex father in law). He has several detectors, lime White's, Minelab and Garrett. And a few other brands I dont remember now. I always use his White's Spectrum XLT or a Garrett 2500.

I'm wanting to get back into detecting and need a machine. Interested in relic and coin hunting. Anyone got recommendations? Budget wise...not sure? Cheaper the better but still something half decent? Not sure it those words can really be used in the same sentence though. lol

Thanks!
Gary

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simplex would be a good choice. There are a number of other brands that would fit the bill too. Do your homework (internet sites, YouTube). Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simplex, hands down. You get a submersible, update-able deep seeking detector with some pretty advanced features.

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simplex is the model. Nokta Makro is the producer. The Garrett Apex does look cool, but won't be released until July. The Garrett ACE series looks like good beginner detectors (many great reviews on the ACE 250). Fisher also makes a great entry level detector, the F22. Can't forget Minelab either (Vanquish series)...

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any particular model? I must say the Garrett Apex looks like a winner as well.

There is only 1 simplex, options are wireless headphones or not.
Apex looks great on paper, no way to judge it until it is released.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For cheap money and good performance, I'd consider the Simplex with wireless headphones and purchase the pulsedive pin pointer. The sound from the pin pointer goes directly to your headphones phones. You can get machine and pin pointer for about $ 420 dollars.

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro’s are good with no frills. My first was the Silver umax. Not much to look at but gives a decent depth search at a cheap price.

MKW

Feb 3, 2020
Coastal SC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 600
ML Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab Vanquish

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread