Am I Stingy, or just Have A Positive Outlook?

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I once read that if Bill Gates stopped to pick up a $100 bill he'd lose money...

I no longer pick up pennies unless I'm metal detecting or if is is shiny and tails up.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you airborne! I still pick up pennies off the ground (or wherever). I'm almost 74 now and have been doing it since I was very young!

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'm willing to dig 6" for one, I'm certainly going to pick up a freebie by just bending over.

OP
OP
airborne1092

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL that's why I pick them all up! trying to get to that point of loosing money if I pick any up!

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's an age thing . I'd bet those who pick them up " me included " are from the same generation.
when I worked for the state hwy dept I found lots of change where the gravel tends to gather in intersections.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I used to dig all zinc and copper cent signals for years.
I still dig the copper ones because they could be old or some kind of jewelry but sometimes I just pass by the zinc ones if I am very tired.
Here is just one 3lb can of different cents I dug in the past and there were a few more of them besides this one.

photostudio_1591306211451.jpg
After tumbling and cleaning them I took them all to a Coinstar and cashed them in.
Despite losing about 10% they still bought me and the wife a couple of very nice dinners so they do add up...eventually.

I still always dig low zinc signals every time especially if they are solid because, well, every one of these came in at very low zinc just past where tabs end and zinc begins.

photostudio_1591307004311.jpg

Also I still dig regular zinc cent signals here and there especially if they are solid.
This treasure I dug years ago is why and always in the back of my mind when I get a zinc signal.
I hit the clasp on this thick and heavy silver man's bracelet once, it was the same exact number and behavior as a common zinc cent but this time it was not a zinc cent...it was shockingly better.

photostudio_1591306856227.jpg

Last edited:

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I've read (and have to agree) that your chances over time of pulling your back out or ripping you pants while picking up a penny makes the proposition unwise. Think about it. You may have to bend over 100 times to get enough pennies to make a dollar.

Me? I'm always subconsciously looking for round shapes on the ground and usually will pick whatever I see up.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do it ti embarass my Daughters lol

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I always look for and often find pennies on the ground. Quick Trip and Racetrack gas stations used to be the best 10 years ago. I could easily get on an average a dollars worth of change. Then the car ignition key fobs took over and guys don't reach into their pockets anymore for car keys.

The park near my home is still pretty good due to lots of immigrants driving older cars.

Grocery stores are pretty good especially the coinstar return cup. If you really wish to clean up on change go to drive in windows at fast food joints after they close or before they open. Easy to get .25 - .75 cents at each one.

The very best place is parking lots of bars early on sat and sun morning and look for paper money. Watch for chain link fences, and shrubs or anything else that will trap a paper bill blowing in the wind. $20 bills are common. Not as good as it used to be for the same reasons of the use of key fob key chains and auto wireless car door opening.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bending down to pick up cents is still cheaper than going a gym. Just no mirrors to see how "pretty" your buff muscles is.

I pick 'em up. Always have.

Anymore they don't last outdoors no how so you have to get them fresh.

Rad1sh

Sep 22, 2019
Olympia, Washington
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex White Coinmaster ( Burghandy)
Garret Ace 250 Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pick up even pennies on the ground.

I know, it's just a penny but it's 1 cent more than I had 5 minutes ago!

I do it! I turned it into a game with my kids. We see who can find the most coins when we go places.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once read that if Bill Gates stopped to pick up a $100 bill he'd lose money...

I no longer pick up pennies unless I'm metal detecting or if is is shiny and tails up.

I thought it was heads up for good luck. heh

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pick them up just because of the hobby. It's habit now, and I just like to check the dates and such. I have actually picked up Wheat pennies from the ground and even found an Indian Head penny at an airport. Nice to pick up coins like that. They all add up.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A coin is a coin, whether I dig or find it.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread