Scrambles the Wonder Chicken is seriously ill

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
She's still quite ill. She can't walk or stand, and is living in a bunny cage in the dining room. Vet says it doesn't look too good, but we will hear more today. She is eating some on her own.

The vet ask about diet and mineral and vitamin history?
Mareks the vet would have checked for early on.
Most other leg stuff is evident in chicks...Though ghosts can haunt I guess.

You have a a vet.
And prescription(s).
If isolated and no resources were at hand , I'd recommend studying tumeric at a teaspoon or less per ten pounds of bird weight per day.
And vitamin and mineral requirements , just in case something is being missed..

A week is a long time for a hen to be down.
Tough old girl she is...

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relevantchair, she has had two hazmat baths complete with drip dry, paper towels and toweling. And a blow drier. Its hazmat.

Still waiting for vet to call back and I am losing it at this point.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Relevantchair, she has had two hazmat baths complete with drip dry, paper towels and toweling. And a blow drier. Its hazmat.

Still waiting for vet to call back and I am losing it at this point.

Hang in there.
Vet is busy , or researching maybe. Or a vet ducking communication.

Part of living with critters , is one of us treading water sometimes while the other tries to offer what they can for empathy. Come what may.
They can pick up on our stress sometimes. So be calm but tough for now...It's not always easy to do.

Saw a picture a while back of a chicken in a sling. Seemed weight was on breast/keel. Holes cut for wing butts to fit through.(Slots there might be easier to fit/put on , vs a wing through a hole each side) Material each side above butts was where it (bird) was supported from.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They figured it out. An infection in her fallopian tube. No tumor. Going to the vet to get another antibiotic specific to this kind of infection in about 10 minutes, they open at 8:30 and it's almost an hour over there and they said 3 days and we will know. They also said ducks and chickens are some of the toughest animals in the world!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi , Haven't had chickens for years , attracts rodents and the snakes are not far behind. Foxes got a few .County got limits these days hygiene and birdflu .TP
Sweet! Can never have too many snakes, non-venomous kinds. Have had hens for 20 years, so far no rodent problems (as long as you have snakes around!)

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, after spending a fortune and two vet visits, and multiple medicines, xrays and blood work, the Dear Lord decided He needed Scrambles with Him. She died yesterday at 12:20 pm. I was sitting outside taking apart some deck boards in hope some of my buddies will come today and repair the deck, heard one squak and noise and it was over. I had actually called the vet about putting her down, he called later and said there absolutely was nothing else I could have done.

Anyway, I'm going to try to find a new hen house for the remaining two hens today within 50 miles or so. They seem to be in short supply. Buttercup and Big Red are the two girls left. Big Red is oblivious and is trying to hatch some straw.

Buttercup managed to actually clean up Scrambles the day before she died. She was very concerned. Scrambles fought hard to live. I buried her next to her sister in the "pet cemetery" I have going in the lawn.

IMG_0894.jpg

Last edited:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My condolences..

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just a chicken, but I do try to take care of all my pets. Thanks all. Buttercup is still looking for her. Big Red, the Rhode Island Red hen is trying to hatch some straw. Bird brain!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its natural for us to second-guess our actions when we lose a pet. What if I'd done this or that for the pet(s) in our care? But in this case, I can't imagine that you should have any second thoughts about your own actions when Scrambles became ill. You went above and beyond what I think most people would have done. I understand the sense of personal responsibility completely. When my beloved cat Squint was bitten by a copperhead, I think I set a new land speed record in my old pickup truck and there was no question about getting him the best care (despite what others said). Your pets are certainly lucky to have you. My condolences.

My first post after my, ahem, let's say vacation...

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I spent over $800 on a CHICKEN! And it wasn't a big barbecue! Bad joke. Unfortunately, all my animals are old now, as am I.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! Can never have too many snakes, non-venomous kinds. Have had hens for 20 years, so far no rodent problems (as long as you have snakes around!)

My latest favorite snake species is the King Snake. Here is a pic of a juvenile king snake in my lattice taken a couple of weeks ago. King snakes are immune to the venom of venomous snakes and are known to eat copperheads when small mammals are scarce. This little fellow is still around and treated me a few days ago to a wonderful impression of a rattlesnake with his tail.

IMG_1642.jpg

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I spent over $800 on a CHICKEN! And it wasn't a big barbecue! Bad joke. Unfortunately, all my animals are old now, as am I.

We're the same age (well I'm a few months older...). I expect to feel every year when I return from today's hike along the fossil cliffs. Notice that I've taken to calling it a hike rather than a fossil hunt because that way, it will be a success. The journey is our reward, regardless of what we find on the way.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two new spots. One SHOULD produce Confederate items, the other is for fossils. Waiting for the contractor to come and fix my deck first.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She died yesterday at 12:20 pm.

Buttercup managed to actually clean up Scrambles the day before she died. She was very concerned. Scrambles fought hard to live. I buried her next to her sister in the "pet cemetery" I have going in the lawn.

That's a bummer after all you did to get her better. :BangHead:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the vet said, there was nothing else I could have done. She was the last of the hens to lay eggs and that's what eventually got her. The contractor came over and took a look and sort of screamed, after some coughing (he smokes like a smokestack), and is bringing other tools and is coming back tomorrow.

I may need to take a road trip...to tay out of the way.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some critter tried to dig up dead chicken. I hope it gets sick and dies. I put more rocks out there.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Family near by that just got into chickens....
I stopped and asked if chicken was for dinner.
Father there (a friend) looked at me and said not yet. But we could have.
One of the pullets expired.
None are laying yet ,but the one just expired.
The Mrs. there got it out of sight of the little children and hustled over to her Dads for a replacement.
Thing was , it was a bigger bird!

It's their business how they choose (and when) to explain such losses to their kids.
I am curious however if any of them noticed one of the chickens suddenly had a growth spurt?

Never a dull moment. If there is , somethings up!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread