Scummers got my wife and me! - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Scummers got my wife and me!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    The Creative Psychic

Dec 2019
    Gypsy
    *Still In research stages before purchase*
    537 times
    Metal Detecting
    These stories are so so sad. What a sick time we are living in.

us
    Mar 2010
    Southwest Georgia
    XP Deus, White's DFX
    7889 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I put the returns in my mailbox about 30 minutes before the mail truck ran.
    A2coins and cw0909 like this.
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel.

Jun 2020
    1 times
    that's awful
    A2coins likes this.

Jun 2007
    Minnesota
    Tiger Shark, Xterra 705
    3306 times
    I know that a lot of people don’t trust the internet and don’t do things like banking online. But even if you do feel that way you need to set up online accounts for everything- banks, credit cards , utilities etc. why? Because it is alarmingly easy to do for the first time and only required minimal information. So if you don’t do it, you leave the door open for scammers to do it and become you.

Set up every account with its own strong password, set up two factor authentication (you use not only a passcode but a code texted to your cell) to access an account and set up whatever alerts they allow so no one can change your personal information or your password without you being notified. For banking you can also set up alerts so that account activity over a certain amount results in an alert being sent to you. And finally check all of your accounts regularly, like once a week.

Lastly I would never use an online Tax filing system. Safer to purchase one that is installed on your PC and only sent electronically so your tax information is only stored with you. And file as early as you are able to beat a potential scammer.
    Last edited by SusanMN; Jun 10, 2020 at 09:08 PM.
    dsdigger and joetoilet like this.
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it”

Thomas Jefferson

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
    35056 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Sorry to hear.
    Trezurehunter likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    10403 times
    Metal Detecting
    That's a horrible thing! At least three others from the same preparer? I'd be looking at the preparer.
    newnan man likes this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

The Bald Eagle photo...he/she posed for me, gave me it's best American look. I felt privileged to get the shot.

us
    Mar 2010
    Southwest Georgia
    XP Deus, White's DFX
    7889 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    That's a horrible thing! At least three others from the same preparer? I'd be looking at the preparer.
    I trust my tax lady 100%. She works full time from her home and someone is always there because they have a disabled daughter to care for. The other three clients whose returns were faked had completely false returns filed using only their names and SSNs. My fake return had the income correct down to the dollar and even had the sources it came from! They even had an identity theft PIN!
    PetesPockets55 likes this.

us
    Mar 2010
    Southwest Georgia
    XP Deus, White's DFX
    7889 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanMN View Post
    I know that a lot of people don’t trust the internet and don’t do things like banking online. But even if you do feel that way you need to set up online accounts for everything- banks, credit cards , utilities etc. why? Because it is alarmingly easy to do for the first time and only required minimal information. So if you don’t do it, you leave the door open for scammers to do it and become you.

Set up every account with its own strong password, set up two factor authentication (you use not only a passcode but a code texted to your cell) to access an account and set up whatever alerts they allow so no one can change your personal information or your password without you being notified. For banking you can also set up alerts so that account activity over a certain amount results in an alert being sent to you. And finally check all of your accounts regularly, like once a week.

Lastly I would never use an online Tax filing system. Safer to purchase one that is installed on your PC and only sent electronically so your tax information is only stored with you. And file as early as you are able to beat a potential scammer.
    I do have online accounts set up and both banks I use have set certain amounts to notify me. I use one bank strictly for online bill paying and have received alerts on the few occasions when I used them for an outside purchase. The other bank I use for everyday expenses and only keep a few hundred dollars in checking. I will continue to use my tax lady but will have her file electronically next year.
    SeabeeRon likes this.

us
    Middle Schooler

Dec 2019
    Iowa
    Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet Predatortools
    508 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Yikes that’s terrible! These scammers are dirty rotten Dishonest people.
    Check out my YouTube Channel!-Coinboy Detecting and collecting! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCFLxG6yeF6ejxaAUp6vpaow
    Winner of February 2020 Vaughan Garret's Favorite Finds for my 1754 2 Reales!
    “Today’s the day!”- Mel Fisher
    “It’s so much fun!”- Kurt from the Hoover Boys

88 in 3 years of detecting

Sounds like a complete mess for you. I hope you can get it cleared up, and they catch the Scum who did this. Good luck.

Charter Member
    us
    Jeff

Jan 2017
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
    1183 times
    Wow, hope you get it taken care of soon. Know this kind of problem is devastating and pain in neck. Like SusanMN said, file electronically and make sure everything you do online has strong passwords. To make it even harder for someone to get your information, change passwords regularly. I keep a book with that info so I can check the password if I forget. My wife had an account hacked recently because of a weak password and took a bit of time to get everything frozen and changed, cards updated, etc., sure you are very aware of these issues. I no longer put mail in our mailbox but drop it off inside at the post office or in one of the big outside boxes. Good luck and hope your outcome is good and soon!

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2017
    Northern Virginia
    AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500,Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
    6088 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I had a buddy who's tax return was hijacked so the IRS gave him a code number he was supposed to put on the following years return so it couldn't be stolen again....well it was stolen again! Seems they actually didn't check to see if the return flagged for a code number actually had one God Bless the IRS!

us
    Mar 2010
    Southwest Georgia
    XP Deus, White's DFX
    7889 times
    I live in a small subdivision with two ways in and out. There is very little traffic. I use my mailbox because it's a good drive to the post office and when I mailed the returns the pandemic had everything pretty much locked down. We only have one credit card and use it sparingly. Hopefully all the thieves got was the tax refund and stimulus check. I haven't seen anything else come up. My credit score is still in the excellent range and with all the freezes and locks I put in place maybe nothing else will happen.

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
    10500 times
    Metal Detecting
    So sorry to hear this!

This happened to a buddy of mine a few years ago. Someone at his kid's school copied records with SSN's and sold them to be used for identity theft. Sadly, it took 5 years to get his money and they never caught the person...
    "It's a long time between drinks."
    Attributed to John Motley Morehead
    Governor - North Carolina - 1843

us
    Cat teaches man, not everything here serves him.

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
    8499 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    If you suspect it was taken from your mailbox,
    this may be a little too late, but,
    does any of the neighbors have that "Ring" doorbell
    that records front doors & street traffic?
    Idk how the recordings are kept, maybe in the "cloud", idk...
    but, if there is any recordings exists, maybe could help target in on a suspect?

Something else, that's good food for thought...
    Since the withholding taxes have been drastically dropped,
    many workers are not going to get back those "big checks",
    like we used to(I'm talking the average worker/filer) because,
    workers are getting more money in their paychecks every week.
    We (me & hubby) paid hundreds to our "tax man" this year,
    to only get back less than $100!
    THAT won't be happening NEXT year! (he even reduced his fee, cause we got so little back)
    I like getting more of our own money weekly, as I know how to manage it better,
    than does the irs, that's only holding & using it, tax/interest free!
    We'll partially fill out our returns, send to irs with our paperwork,
    let them complete it for free.
    Just something to think about(for those that it may apply to).
    Yesterday is history, tomorow a mystery. All we have is the here and now, it's a special gift. That's why we call it "The Present"

Pity the poor agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links