fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a horrible thing! At least three others from the same preparer? I'd be looking at the preparer.

I trust my tax lady 100%. She works full time from her home and someone is always there because they have a disabled daughter to care for. The other three clients whose returns were faked had completely false returns filed using only their names and SSNs. My fake return had the income correct down to the dollar and even had the sources it came from! They even had an identity theft PIN!

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that a lot of people don’t trust the internet and don’t do things like banking online. But even if you do feel that way you need to set up online accounts for everything- banks, credit cards , utilities etc. why? Because it is alarmingly easy to do for the first time and only required minimal information. So if you don’t do it, you leave the door open for scammers to do it and become you.

Set up every account with its own strong password, set up two factor authentication (you use not only a passcode but a code texted to your cell) to access an account and set up whatever alerts they allow so no one can change your personal information or your password without you being notified. For banking you can also set up alerts so that account activity over a certain amount results in an alert being sent to you. And finally check all of your accounts regularly, like once a week.

Lastly I would never use an online Tax filing system. Safer to purchase one that is installed on your PC and only sent electronically so your tax information is only stored with you. And file as early as you are able to beat a potential scammer.

I do have online accounts set up and both banks I use have set certain amounts to notify me. I use one bank strictly for online bill paying and have received alerts on the few occasions when I used them for an outside purchase. The other bank I use for everyday expenses and only keep a few hundred dollars in checking. I will continue to use my tax lady but will have her file electronically next year.

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yikes that’s terrible! These scammers are dirty rotten Dishonest people.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a complete mess for you. I hope you can get it cleared up, and they catch the Scum who did this. Good luck.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, hope you get it taken care of soon. Know this kind of problem is devastating and pain in neck. Like SusanMN said, file electronically and make sure everything you do online has strong passwords. To make it even harder for someone to get your information, change passwords regularly. I keep a book with that info so I can check the password if I forget. My wife had an account hacked recently because of a weak password and took a bit of time to get everything frozen and changed, cards updated, etc., sure you are very aware of these issues. I no longer put mail in our mailbox but drop it off inside at the post office or in one of the big outside boxes. Good luck and hope your outcome is good and soon!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a buddy who's tax return was hijacked so the IRS gave him a code number he was supposed to put on the following years return so it couldn't be stolen again....well it was stolen again! Seems they actually didn't check to see if the return flagged for a code number actually had one :BangHead: God Bless the IRS!

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in a small subdivision with two ways in and out. There is very little traffic. I use my mailbox because it's a good drive to the post office and when I mailed the returns the pandemic had everything pretty much locked down. We only have one credit card and use it sparingly. Hopefully all the thieves got was the tax refund and stimulus check. I haven't seen anything else come up. My credit score is still in the excellent range and with all the freezes and locks I put in place maybe nothing else will happen.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So sorry to hear this!

This happened to a buddy of mine a few years ago. Someone at his kid's school copied records with SSN's and sold them to be used for identity theft. Sadly, it took 5 years to get his money and they never caught the person...

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you suspect it was taken from your mailbox,
this may be a little too late, but,
does any of the neighbors have that "Ring" doorbell
that records front doors & street traffic?
Idk how the recordings are kept, maybe in the "cloud", idk... :dontknow:
but, if there is any recordings exists, maybe could help target in on a suspect?

Something else, that's good food for thought... :icon_scratch:
Since the withholding taxes have been drastically dropped,
many workers are not going to get back those "big checks",
like we used to(I'm talking the average worker/filer) because,
workers are getting more money in their paychecks every week.
We (me & hubby) paid hundreds to our "tax man" this year,
to only get back less than $100! >:(
THAT won't be happening NEXT year! :notworthy: (he even reduced his fee, cause we got so little back)
I like getting more of our own money weekly, as I know how to manage it better,
than does the irs, that's only holding & using it, tax/interest free!
We'll partially fill out our returns, send to irs with our paperwork,
let them complete it for free.
Just something to think about(for those that it may apply to). :dontknow:

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do have online accounts set up and both banks I use have set certain amounts to notify me. I use one bank strictly for online bill paying and have received alerts on the few occasions when I used them for an outside purchase. The other bank I use for everyday expenses and only keep a few hundred dollars in checking. I will continue to use my tax lady but will have her file electronically next year.

Wish there were more resources available to go after this type of criminal! :BangHead:

It must be some organized group doing this rather than just some loner!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Lord I'm sorry to hear that and yes it p*sses me off. I almost hope you can track them down. After that, whoever is left standing can go to prison.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry to hear that but don't give the tax preparer a pass yet. She may be perfectly honest but if she works from home you have no idea who may be in there from time to time stealing peoples info.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Our account was e-filed and hacked in the turbo tax data breach. Fortunately, we owed (I’ve never received a refund).
Sorry to hear about your case.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
While back I wasn't getting my medicine from the VA and it ended up on the news that it was a mail worker at a hub taking lots of folks VA meds.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The title is spelled correctly. Scum stole our federal tax return and then filed a fraudulent one. They used all our information including income down to the dollar and the sources it came from. Then they filed a long form (We filed a short form) and added over $29,000.00 in mortgage interest, over $22,000.00 in cash contributions and over $2,500.00 in other deductions.
They got a return of over $6,000.00 (about $4,000.00 more than we were due) and had it direct deposited in an account. Then, they used that direct deposit information to get our $2,400 stimulus money!
So, they ended up with almost $9,000.00 and I haven't seen a dime!
Our tax lady said that scammers usually make up a completely fraudulent return using only the name and SSN. Since ours was correct to the dollar it had to have been stolen from the mail.
I have been on the phone and computer all day freezing credit and filing forms with the IRS.
I would love to meet the trash that did this to us and at least three other filers that use the same tax preparer we do.

I was always under the impression that when I filed my taxes by mail, I had to provide documents confirming the income, interest and deductions I claimed on the forms. The fact that the POS added over $50K in deductions without any proof, just shows that the IRS didn't look at the return, but just mailed out a check! Good job!

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent the paperwork to the IRS and they received it Monday. I hope to hear from them, the sooner the better. I never thought I would say that!:laughing7: I mailed the original return in early April but I don't think it was taken from my mail box unless the mail person did it. Whenever I mail something important I always wait to put it in the box just a little bit before the mail runs. I don't know anyone in my neighborhood that has a camera. I am fortunate to live in a very low crime rated area. I guess no through traffic helps that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread