Scummers got my wife and me! - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Scummers got my wife and me!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    We Build, We Fight!

Aug 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA.
    ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
    1325 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
    I do have online accounts set up and both banks I use have set certain amounts to notify me. I use one bank strictly for online bill paying and have received alerts on the few occasions when I used them for an outside purchase. The other bank I use for everyday expenses and only keep a few hundred dollars in checking. I will continue to use my tax lady but will have her file electronically next year.
    Wish there were more resources available to go after this type of criminal!

It must be some organized group doing this rather than just some loner!
    Honest Samuel likes this.
    SeabeeRon Santa Cruz,CA.

us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
    8183 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    My Lord I'm sorry to hear that and yes it p*sses me off. I almost hope you can track them down. After that, whoever is left standing can go to prison.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

us
    Treasure every day!

Aug 2005
    Beautiful Florida
    2710 times
    Relic Hunting
    Sorry to hear that but don't give the tax preparer a pass yet. She may be perfectly honest but if she works from home you have no idea who may be in there from time to time stealing peoples info.
    Don't believe anything you hear and only 1/2 of what you see!

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    3682 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Our account was e-filed and hacked in the turbo tax data breach. Fortunately, we owed (Iíve never received a refund).
    Sorry to hear about your case.

Oct 2016
    1463 times
    Researching Treasure Stories Author
    While back I wasn't getting my medicine from the VA and it ended up on the news that it was a mail worker at a hub taking lots of folks VA meds.

Dec 2006
    2661 times
    I put the returns in my mailbox about 30 minutes before the mail truck ran.
    maybe some of the neighbors has a doorbell cam or some kind of cam
    fyrffytr1 likes this.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    4568 times
    I feel sorry for all people here and else where in our country who lost income.

Aug 2016
    MI
    E-TRAC
    6078 times
    The title is spelled correctly. Scum stole our federal tax return and then filed a fraudulent one. They used all our information including income down to the dollar and the sources it came from. Then they filed a long form (We filed a short form) and added over $29,000.00 in mortgage interest, over $22,000.00 in cash contributions and over $2,500.00 in other deductions.
    They got a return of over $6,000.00 (about $4,000.00 more than we were due) and had it direct deposited in an account. Then, they used that direct deposit information to get our $2,400 stimulus money!
    So, they ended up with almost $9,000.00 and I haven't seen a dime!
    Our tax lady said that scammers usually make up a completely fraudulent return using only the name and SSN. Since ours was correct to the dollar it had to have been stolen from the mail.
    I have been on the phone and computer all day freezing credit and filing forms with the IRS.
    I would love to meet the trash that did this to us and at least three other filers that use the same tax preparer we do.
    I was always under the impression that when I filed my taxes by mail, I had to provide documents confirming the income, interest and deductions I claimed on the forms. The fact that the POS added over $50K in deductions without any proof, just shows that the IRS didn't look at the return, but just mailed out a check! Good job!

us
    Mar 2010
    Southwest Georgia
    XP Deus, White's DFX
    7889 times
    I sent the paperwork to the IRS and they received it Monday. I hope to hear from them, the sooner the better. I never thought I would say that! I mailed the original return in early April but I don't think it was taken from my mail box unless the mail person did it. Whenever I mail something important I always wait to put it in the box just a little bit before the mail runs. I don't know anyone in my neighborhood that has a camera. I am fortunate to live in a very low crime rated area. I guess no through traffic helps that.
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel.

May 2003
    Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia
    58 times
    That would make me madder than a "She bich Wolf,with Nine Suck'em Pups, dragging a #No4 Trap,uphill in a Snow Storm,
    with a Face full of Porcupine Quills!
    stoneshirt.
    Last edited by stoneshirt; Jul 04, 2020 at 04:23 PM. Reason: natzi sensors
    SD51 and fyrffytr1 like this.

us
    Mar 2010
    Southwest Georgia
    XP Deus, White's DFX
    7889 times
    I called the fraud 800 number at the IRS today and got a recorded message saying that I should wait 180 days before checking on my case! When I went to my IRS account the 2019 return was no longer accessible so I think they are working on it.
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel.

us
    Jan 2011
    838 times
    Sorry for what you are going thru BUT lesson to be learned here. Go to a tax preparer who uses E file. It costs me $90.00 both state and federal. I drop my info off, he does my taxes, I stop by and sign and then he hits the send button. Refunds are auto deposit.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    3682 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Stewart View Post
    Sorry for what you are going thru BUT lesson to be learned here. Go to a tax preparer who uses E file. It costs me $90.00 both state and federal. I drop my info off, he does my taxes, I stop by and sign and then he hits the send button. Refunds are auto deposit.
    Lol my account was E filed and our account was hacked.

us
    Jun 2019
    Palos Park, IL
    Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
    712 times
    Quote Originally Posted by relicmeister View Post
    Anyone have their home title stolen? They sell something called home title lock thatís supposed to monitor your title for that possibility. Man we live in a rotten society. ( with maybe the majority not and still by far the best one) makes you cynical for sure
    I never make comments like this online because with my luck, the perps would end up in a tree chipper and I'd be the first guy they look at... And I wouldn't even have had the satisfaction of losing then slowly into it feet first

us
    Jan 2011
    838 times
    Your sentence written that your tax preparer thought the info was stolen from the mail threw me. I am guessing she/you was referring to your 10-99 forms that were mailed. But then if they were stolen how could your tax preparer use the info from them? If she has had 3 of her clients taxes compromised I would move on to someone else as it sounds as though he system has a problem.

I feel for you and your family but I know my guy has never had a problem. He is a CPA that does taxes after hours out of his house.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links