fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The title is spelled correctly. Scum stole our federal tax return and then filed a fraudulent one. They used all our information including income down to the dollar and the sources it came from. Then they filed a long form (We filed a short form) and added over $29,000.00 in mortgage interest, over $22,000.00 in cash contributions and over $2,500.00 in other deductions.
They got a return of over $6,000.00 (about $4,000.00 more than we were due) and had it direct deposited in an account. Then, they used that direct deposit information to get our $2,400 stimulus money!
So, they ended up with almost $9,000.00 and I haven't seen a dime!
Our tax lady said that scammers usually make up a completely fraudulent return using only the name and SSN. Since ours was correct to the dollar it had to have been stolen from the mail.
I have been on the phone and computer all day freezing credit and filing forms with the IRS.
I would love to meet the trash that did this to us and at least three other filers that use the same tax preparer we do.

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that sucks , sorry for your loss , hope the trail can be tracked and the Scum caught .

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hope they go to prison for a long time

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
We had a real interesting one happen. My wife was declared deceased and everything from bank accounts, credit cards, drivers license you name it was effected. To top it off the social security office said they cant release the source! Several trips to the social security office didn't get it cleared up and we had to contact a state Rep and send him a release of info to get the SS office to act. We were told around 17,000 people are declared deceased each year and most never know it.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm so sorry and hope this can get fixed soon.
I've also been hearing a lot of this happening, some here in S. Fl,
I even read about some of it, on the DOJ website, over the last few months.
Tax preparers doing bad things, or, (maybe in this case) the postman/woman. :dontknow:
Why don't your preparer file electronically?

I sure hope you got the federal authorities on this.
Good luck, too.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What got me was that they claimed over $29,000.00 in mortgage interest and over $22,000.00 in CASH contributions and that didn't throw up a red flag with the IRS? All those deductions would have left less than $30,000.00 to live on. How could that amount pay for a house that accrued over $29,000.00 in mortgage interest?

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm so sorry and hope this can get fixed soon.
I've also been hearing a lot of this happening, some here in S. Fl,
I even read about some of it, on the DOJ website, over the last few months.
Tax preparers doing bad things, or, (maybe in this case) the postman/woman. :dontknow:
Why don't your preparer file electronically?

I sure hope you got the federal authorities on this.
Good luck, too.

I have always filed a paper return and for the last 10 years it has been the short form. But, I will file next years electronically. They didn't bother my state return. I feel like it may have been done at the IRS due to the amounts and types of deductions. If you claimed $22,00.00+ CASH contributions would you expect your return to go unquestioned?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked for a big bank in their fraud department. The IRS has THOUSANDS of folks employed to help you out. First thing, FREEZE your and your wife's social security number with the three big credit bureaus.

That way, you won't accidentally own a few cars or a house in New York or wherever. I did mine a few years ago. It was free then.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked for a big bank in their fraud department. The IRS has THOUSANDS of folks employed to help you out. First thing, FREEZE your and your wife's social security number with the three big credit bureaus.

That way, you won't accidentally own a few cars or a house in New York or wherever. I did mine a few years ago. It was free then.

I spent all afternoon doing just that and then did it again with my wife after supper! Also filed a fraud report with the FTC and IRS. Tomorrow I will file one with the local police department. It is still free and, if you are a victim of fraud you can get free credit reports from the big 3. Our credit is frozen for a year but I have downloaded forms to fill out and mail to freeze it for 7 years. At 70 years of age I don't plan on opening any new credit! And I can always unfreeze it if I have to.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anyone have their home title stolen? They sell something called home title lock that’s supposed to monitor your title for that possibility. Man we live in a rotten society. ( with maybe the majority not and still by far the best one) makes you cynical for sure

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tree chipper and I mean right now! Sorry to hear that, it doesn't end.

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes you so angry, you want to ensure the scumbags are pissing teeth into a bag.

mnixon

Apr 2, 2010
Austin TX
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum, AT pro
String um up !!! gosh I hate being a victim of fraud .Hope it works out . Sounds like you got a good plan of getting thing headed in the right direction.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That truly sucks. Hope you get some recovery of it.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
if the mail was stolen from the tax preparers mail box, maybe they have
insurance to cover the damages to you from the theft, and maybe the refund
too,if you cant get the irs to get your correct refund

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put the returns in my mailbox about 30 minutes before the mail truck ran.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that a lot of people don’t trust the internet and don’t do things like banking online. But even if you do feel that way you need to set up online accounts for everything- banks, credit cards , utilities etc. why? Because it is alarmingly easy to do for the first time and only required minimal information. So if you don’t do it, you leave the door open for scammers to do it and become you.

Set up every account with its own strong password, set up two factor authentication (you use not only a passcode but a code texted to your cell) to access an account and set up whatever alerts they allow so no one can change your personal information or your password without you being notified. For banking you can also set up alerts so that account activity over a certain amount results in an alert being sent to you. And finally check all of your accounts regularly, like once a week.

Lastly I would never use an online Tax filing system. Safer to purchase one that is installed on your PC and only sent electronically so your tax information is only stored with you. And file as early as you are able to beat a potential scammer.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread