My new GTP 1350, and Civil War treasure!

wedjlok

Nov 3, 2007
Orange Park, FL
Detector(s) used
GTP 1350, ACE 250, Whites Bullseye 140mm
I got my new GTP 1350 yesterday. As promised by the people with whom I traded a bike to for it, it was new, still in the box, and apparently they were given it as a gift from someone who bought it from KellyCo, so it also came with a carrying case and the 50 States Treasure Hunting CD, and a trowel (which I will more than likely not be using the trowel).

It seems as though it had never even been taken out of the box, but the serial number shows that it is a model from a few months ago, so the chipset mod has already been put in it (Garrett started putting in the new chipsets for highly mineralized soil in 2006). I went online last night and submitted my warranty info and called Garrett today to inquire about getting a few replacement battery holders since these tend to crack after a while, and they said that they would send some out to me free of charge before I had any problems with them, just in case. Normally they would charge $1.50 for each of these, but they sometimes send them out free, so I got lucky to have some backups.

I haven't had the chance to take it out in the field yet, but my girlfriend's dad's family owns a large chunk of land along the river just south of me that has, over the years, produced large amounts of Civil War artifacts including buttons and buckles, as well as bottles. The land is quite expansive and right in an area where there were a lot of CW activity, as well as Seminole Indian and other military activity. This property will be my field test of this machine and my first time out with it. I used to Use a Whites machine almost exclusively for artifact hunting, and have recently been using an ACE 250 with superb results here in the sandy soil land of the sandbar state of Florida, so we'll see how well this new machine fares with the task.

I've heard nothing but good words from others locally who use them for relic hunting, even with the stock coil, so I'm pretty excited about getting into this area. My GF's dad would literally come out of there with pocketfuls of buttons and has found many buckles and old bottles, but there is still a lot of the land that has never been searched at all, and they've owned the land for a couple of generations, at least.

So wish me luck everyone, and may the Metal Detecting gods look kindly upon me this venture. The 1350 is a great machine, and now I have one and hopefully it will do what I'm hoping for it to do for me. I've liked the ones that I've used that belonged to other people, so this one should have no problem.

I'll be sure to update my finds and post some pics.

Aeryck

OP
OP
wedjlok

wedjlok

Nov 3, 2007
Orange Park, FL
Detector(s) used
GTP 1350, ACE 250, Whites Bullseye 140mm
So I've done some of my initial hunting this area and have found lots of iron trash, etc. I did manage to pull out a 1901 IH penny that was in not so great shape around the edges, as well as a CW bullet fragment, and a lot of unidentified iron. I am putting some of the iron through electrolysis just to see what era some of it may be from.

I know that most people do not go through the trouble of digging or keeping the iron stuff, but I like to do that in order to help date some of the area, as well as there are some interesting iron relics that remain out there that other people like to just skip over. So we'll see.

I also found some rather small, crude endcaps of some sort, although I'm not quite sure what they are yet. Hopefully some of this will clean up nicely and then I'll post some pics, and then go get some more :)

Aeryck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread