50 cal bullets

OldSean

Jan 6, 2012
York, PA
Detector(s) used
White M6, White 6000di
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a lot of spent 50 cal bullets from WW2 on the beach I detect. They pump sand from the bat to replenish the beach and there was a WW2 base near by. I also find tons of broken shell casings. What dot you all do with these? Recycle? Shell casings look to be copper but bullet look to be an alloy. Any help would be appreciated.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shell casings are brass and would probably sell as brass scrap. The bullets are copper jacketed with a lead core. Probably no market for those. I'd like to have a nickel for every .50 cal. round fired in WW2. Gary

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would drill a hole through the center and make a fishing weight out of some of the bullets . the rest into my scrap bucket.

OP
OP
O

OldSean

Jan 6, 2012
York, PA
Detector(s) used
White M6, White 6000di
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help

Aug 18, 2019
South Padre Island Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro SideWinder, CZ20, Whites XLT, Tesoro StingRay II, Whites PI Pro w/950 Dive Coil, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab EQ 600, Fisher CZ3D, Whites TDI SL, Sov. GT. Minelab GXP-4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bullets after removing the copper make a great punch.
You might want to check the law of possession of a armor piercing round. or not!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bullets after removing the copper make a great punch.
You might want to check the law of possession of a armor piercing round. or not!

???? What are you talking about? There are no laws about possession of spent bullets, AP or not.

Aug 18, 2019
South Padre Island Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro SideWinder, CZ20, Whites XLT, Tesoro StingRay II, Whites PI Pro w/950 Dive Coil, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab EQ 600, Fisher CZ3D, Whites TDI SL, Sov. GT. Minelab GXP-4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Large Caliber Ammunition: DC prohibits the sale or possession of ammunition for a 50 caliber rifle.103 Connecticut bans distribution, transportation or importation into the state, keeping or offering for sale, or giving away of any incendiary 50 caliber bullet, defined as a 50 caliber bullet designed for or generally recognized as having a specialized capability to ignite upon impact.104 California prohibits any person, firm, or corporation from selling, offering for sale, possessing, or knowingly transporting any fixed ammunition greater than 60 caliber.105 For more information about large caliber firearms, see our summary on Machine Guns & 50 Caliber.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are talking about live ammo, not spent AP slugs. In Ct it is legal to fire .50 BMG at ranges, at least I did so ten years or so ago. Incediaries are different but that is not what the OP found. One can own all the .60 and up spent or inert shells they like, plenty of inert shells available at gun shows. Plenty of 20mm cannon spent rounds found near training and bombing sites, not illegal to own the spent solid slugs.

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep them and sell them on eBay as a lot! What might be plentiful in Europe or the South Pacific are rare in the US. Given the historical significance of the war and the shells, plenty of people here in the states would probably pay a buck or two to have a shell. I know I think the idea is kinda neat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread