PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for some clear informative points. I guess my "everything" was a bit strong but was made in reference to points mentioned in this thread (that I could remember).

The fact that two have perished looking for it would have been a really good reason to bring it to a close, before more follow.
If nothing ever gets sold or ends up on the secondary market, might be a clincher on this having ended as a lot of people suggest.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for some clear informative points. I guess my "everything" was a bit strong but was made in reference to points mentioned in this thread (that I could remember).

The fact that two have perished looking for it would have been a really good reason to bring it to a close, before more follow.
If nothing ever gets sold or ends up on the secondary market, might be a clincher on this having ended as a lot of people suggest.

Those were only the most recent two deaths. I think the final tally is six or seven deaths. Law enforcement was urging him to end it long before the last two died.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen please end it now.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gentlemen please end it now.

???

What's wrong TH? I've read and contributed to the thread. I really don't see anything here that requires you to step in. Unless of course you've removed the offending posts, in which case I'll just go back to my corner and lurk.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
???

What's wrong TH? I've read and contributed to the thread. I really don't see anything here that requires you to step in. Unless of course you've removed the offending posts, in which case I'll just go back to my corner and lurk.

Doubter, posts were deleted.

Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll bet the IRS is following this closely. No way will they let some unknown from "out east" walk away with $1M in gold without paying the 38% tax. Gary

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bet the IRS is following this closely. No way will they let some unknown from "out east" walk away with $1M in gold without paying the 38% tax. Gary

Yup, he'll have to pay up even if he doesn't sell the loot. One of the more sleazy and unethical things the IRS pulls. You shouldn't have to pay taxes on found treasure until you actually sell it. That law forces people to sell part of their treasure just to pay the ridiculous taxes on it. But it's okay for companies like eBay to shelter billions in offshore accounts and never have to pay taxes on the money...

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IRS will want what is due in taxes, so if the finder is a hoax, there's gonna be a whole lot of explaining to be done. IRS can get those that the law can't.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, he'll have to pay up even if he doesn't sell the loot. One of the more sleazy and unethical things the IRS pulls. You shouldn't have to pay taxes on found treasure until you actually sell it. That law forces people to sell part of their treasure just to pay the ridiculous taxes on it. But it's okay for companies like eBay to shelter billions in offshore accounts and never have to pay taxes on the money...

I think most treasure hunters would ethically want to do the right thing and report big finds but the ridiculous taxes are what makes people second guess or choose not to report. I hate taxes.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankly, I never did care about the whole thing, would never look for it even if I thought it was than a mile from my house, and am not believing or caring much about the whole thing. Call me negative. You know the whole thing is taxable to the IRS this year, right?
Right I am my friend. As a accountant, I info all of you to pay federal and state income taxes on all legal and illegal incomes or off to jail you should go. I am proud of you.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IRS demanded state and federal income taxes pay on all legal and illegal income or off to jail you should go.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think most treasure hunters would ethically want to do the right thing and report big finds but the ridiculous taxes are what makes people second guess or choose not to report. I hate taxes.
But IRS and congress just love them to death.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, they want to tax you on found treasure, even if you don't sell it. But companies like eBay stash billions in off shore accounts and are never taxed or tossed in jail.

Sorry, but if I find treasure, the IRS will never know about it. Go after the billion dollar companies skirting tax laws and we'll have plenty of money to pay all the government's bills. Stop ripping off the little fish and go after the whales, IRS.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I think too much is being made of the stick. If he was in the woods, digging, it stands to reason. Assuming it's real, can you imagine the adrenaline running through your body? You're not even thinking about a stick in the picture....probably don't even notice it. I believe just about every person here would keep it a secret. Unless you seek fame, I can't really think of why you would make it public. As for me, I guess I just slightly lean towards it being real. I sure don't believe Fenn buried it at his own house to weather it. Truth is, we'll probably never know. Best chance is probably upon the passing of Fenn or the finder.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread