OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I find it all odd. The picture of it that was supposedly taken “not long after it was found” has a stick in it. If it was real, why wouldn’t you take the stick out? I think they staged the stick to make it look more like it really was found in the wild. And what treasure hunter would find the chest then let Fenn have it back for a photo op? I was on the fence about this being a hoax or not but these pictures actually make me lean more toward it being bogus. I hope I’m wrong.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wanted to believe this was real, but after reading this I have major doubts. Strange how quickly and conveniently Mr. Fenn got photos of himself with the treasure. Also the thing that sounds most bogus is where he said it was up to the finder to reveal who he is and where it was found. Even if the finder truly was shy, why does he have control over revealing its location found? I now believe this whole thing was a publicity stunt. There's absolutely zero proof anything was ever dug or retrieved or even buried in the first place (actually it wasn't even buried. Mr. Fenn said he "left it on the ground.") There's an awful lot of dirt and mud along the rim, under the part the lid would have covered, for that part being so high off the ground if it was just left ON the ground.

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://dalneitzel.com/2020/06/16/important-found-7/

These are photos Fenn posted as proof. Proof enough or do people still think it was a hoax?

What about these photo's do you feel lend proof to a treasure hunter finding the treasure ? We have the exact same guy posting (some of) the exact same items he did 10 years ago? For me, the only additional evidence they provide (and that's assuming they are recent), is that Fenn still had access to the treasure and some of the items do look more weathered (easy to achieve). They don't provide any evidence to connect the treasure with an anonymous finder, so we are still in the exact same spot we were a week ago.

Edit, re-read your second post. I see you have your doubts too. Examine the contents too, there are additional and missing items between when it was "hidden" and when it was "found".

Last edited:

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually, I thought Fenn's treasure was real. Not anymore. As was mentioned already, where did the stick come from? The box was closed/sealed, right? The contents do look weathered but so what? Weathering can be faked. And besides, even if the weathering is real nothing would have stopped Fenn from leaving the treasure outside in a place that was inaccessible to the public for 10 years.

The pictures prove absolutely nothing. The finder conveniently requesting anonymity not only set off my crap detector, it bent the needle and caused it to burst into flames. I vote BS.

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at this picture he claims the finder sent him just after finding it, on the right side you can almost see to the bottom of the chest. Now compare it to the original photo he posted when he allegedly hid it. Were are approximately 6 carded/graded coins he has in the upper left of the original photo? Where is that huge tube sitting on the table with what looks like a rolled up paper in it and the white topped bottle in the original photo? Compare the big 6" plus diameter gold discs, not in the original photo's? Look at the what looks like gold wire loop holding like jewels or icons on it, look how smooth and clean the arc of it is and how it's kinked and rough in the other. How about the watch case like items in the original? It's clear in critical review that the "found" pictures don't match all the items in the originals. Sure, it doesn't mean it wasn't found, but it does take away credibility.

Picture Fenn claims the anonymous guy sent him when he found it:
image003.png

Fenn at the bank safety deposit box room examination table:
Treasure-Photo-.jpeg

Original picture when it was buried:
RYURbj2.jpg

Original picture when it was buried:
he-was-blown-away.jpg

Attachments

• 29717912-8432053-image-a-36_1592406270246.jpg
    29717912-8432053-image-a-36_1592406270246.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankly, I never did care about the whole thing, would never look for it even if I thought it was than a mile from my house, and am not believing or caring much about the whole thing. Call me negative. You know the whole thing is taxable to the IRS this year, right?

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankly, I never did care about the whole thing, would never look for it even if I thought it was than a mile from my house, and am not believing or caring much about the whole thing. Call me negative. You know the whole thing is taxable to the IRS this year, right?

I understand not caring much but if you really thought you knew where it was and that it was less than a mile from your house, you wouldn’t even go swing a detector once or twice to check?

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems kinda weird that the finder wants to remain annonomous but also meets up with and confides in Fenn.....

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess with the end of all this there's now a whole bunch of people in this world, who now know who in the hell Forest Fenn is. A brilliant publicity stunt I have to say.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does not pass the smell test with me.
But it's one great treasure box full of goodies that's for sure. :icon_thumleft:

I have a feeling Forrest himself recovered it just to end the search.

Last edited:

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anybody tried to do a GPS tracer on these photo's there used to be peoplr on here that could do that even
if the GPS mode was turned off on your camera-phone- device.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The real money will be in a reality show, imagine that a reality show where they actually find something!!!

s1 E1 stories from other searchers and how and why they came to their conclusion,
friday night at 8:00 pm, but the sunday before you could order ''The Binding'' and chapter one which includes
the show with some in depth thinking on the conclusion.

S1 E2 more searchers more stories, stories of people that had to be rescued, and stories of people that
lost their live's may god rest their sole's

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe Forrest just finally got tired of the whole deal and went out to his backyard and brought it inside for a few pics, said it was found, haha! I thought it was a real thing, and if I had found it I wouldn't want my identity revealed either. Too many people obsessed with that hunt. I might think twice about revealing where I found it too, cause some fool might pop up and try to sue me for using their 'blog' or whatever to locate it, and since they did all the work they should be entitled to at the very least a share.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I guess his book sales had tailed off to near zero so he went out to his yard and brought the box back in the house. Did you notice the weed whacker marks around the perimeter of the box? :laughing7:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stick in the box is what makes me think it's a hoax. Why on earth wouldn't you take that stupid stick out of the box when you took the picture? Is it suppose to give the "find" credibility? "Look, there's even a stick in the box, it must have been found in the woods!" Sorry, not buying it.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stick in the box is what makes me think it's a hoax....

Maybe, juuuust maybe, the finder wanted to give the conspiracy theorists something to feed on?
Skepticism can be a good thing but everything about the recovery and finders want for anonymity seem very realistic and plausible for so many reasons.

We'll probably only know for sure when the items are put up for auction or some reburied to "pay it forward" and keep people's "dreams and drive" engaged!!

BTW- If the finder is reading this thread they are ROFLTAO.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
everything about the recovery and finders want for anonymity seem very realistic and plausible for so many reasons.

"Everything" about the recovery seems realistic?

I disagree. It's ironic a previous poster sarcastically brought up profiling and going into LE, as i spent 11 years in LE. And just about everything about the find seems suspect to me. Most in LE will tell you, "there are no coincidences".

1. Fenn had been served a revised lawsuit shortly before the "discovery"

2. 2 men had died this spring searching for it, just shortly before the "discovery" (late march).

3. Law Enforcement called upon him to call off the search after the most recent deaths.

4. I can see reaching out, anonymously, to Fenn to let him know it's been found, but to go so far as to meet up on the other side of the country with Fenn and let him sort through the box? That's the anti thesis of someone wanting to remain anonymous. If the feds want to find you, you've left a paper and digital trail a mile long.

5. Look at the box critically. Look at the depth of the box in the "found" picture, it doesn't contain much based on it's depth. Also, look at the contents in his picture posted years ago (which, suspiciously was posted long after the treasure was "buried", with Fenn claiming he "forgot" had a photo of it on an old laptop) and compare it to what was "found" in the box. Look at the dirt on the rim of the open box when it was first "discovered", yet Fenn claims he didn't bury it, just hid it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread