Bacon, how much is it in your neck of the woods?

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn’t make sense. Lean hogs are selling in the $.50 to $.60 range. Pork should be inexpensive off the shelf. Maybe they are having issues getting shelf product

Digger_O'Dell

May 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All meats in Wisconsin are insanely expensive now for some reason too. Quoted bacon price about the same here. Often see even almost white hamburger marked over $10/lb.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was almost $5.00 for half a pound here at the Subway/Gas station in town.
My Nephew just gave me about 5 lb of Deer Bacon recently.
So I'm working my way through that

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
price gouging at it's finest . it can rot on the shelf before I would pay $7.25 for a pound of pig fat.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Bought 16oz JIMMY DEAM bacon at Winn Dixie today for $4.95. same price as their store brand.
Those high prices must be for THE HOG OF THE FOESAKEN

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I switched to thinly fried Spam, fraction of the price and tastes similar to bacon, many different flavors and lasts forever.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Never eat the stuff, makes me sick. If I did, the price would make me sick.

Honestly, Samuel, you have forsaken bacon
For breakfast, friend, what are you making
Is it bland oatmeal that you crave
So you can start up the day
You're better off with a Burma Shave!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Honestly, Samuel, you have forsaken bacon
For breakfast, friend, what are you making
Is it bland oatmeal that you crave
So you can start up the day
You're better off with a Burma Shave!
YOU are obsessed...

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In case some of you haven't taken in much news the problem with meats is that many of the processing and packaging plants are having problems with the virus sickening many employees. Seems to have hit the pork plants the worst. Burger was up here for a while and seems to have returned to normal prices. Bacon must be cheap where many of you live, the best bacon I get is from a farmer's market in PA a hundred miles from me. Even in December it was between seven and nine dollars a pound for local smokehouse bacon. I don't care much for commercially packaged bacon in sealed plastic packages with all the preservatives. The local smokehouse bacon has none of those preservatives and will go bad in a couple weeks but freezes well so I buy eight pounds at a time and freeze it. Yes, I drive a hundred miles one way for good bacon. MMMMMMMM, BACON!!

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard or read somewhere, Bullets, Bacon and Beer. Gotta have them.

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s around $7-8 here in California, too. Can get it on sale for $4 or so sometimes. Beef prices are outrageous out here now! The stores rarely have sales now and when they do, it’s usually on ground 80/20 for $3.99/pound or so. Don’t even ask about steaks. Luckily, chicken and pork roasts are still fairly priced.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
In case some of you haven't taken in much news the problem with meats is that many of the processing and packaging plants are having problems with the virus sickening many employees. Seems to have hit the pork plants the worst. Burger was up here for a while and seems to have returned to normal prices. Bacon must be cheap where many of you live, the best bacon I get is from a farmer's market in PA a hundred miles from me. Even in December it was between seven and nine dollars a pound for local smokehouse bacon. I don't care much for commercially packaged bacon in sealed plastic packages with all the preservatives. The local smokehouse bacon has none of those preservatives and will go bad in a couple weeks but freezes well so I buy eight pounds at a time and freeze it. Yes, I drive a hundred miles one way for good bacon. MMMMMMMM, BACON!!
”Sick” may mean one employee testing positive and comes down with the sniffles. Or nothing. They shut the entire plant.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what it costs here. My wife and I share the Groceries. She buys them and I help her eat them!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard or read somewhere, Bullets, Bacon and Beer. Gotta have them.

I've switched from bacon or breakfast sausage to scrapple but it doesn't have that line's good alliteration. Old dog, new tricks...

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$7.99 a pound for the name brand.

Ouch. My scrapple is 2.99/lb regular price at Giant. Found on sale last week at Safeway for 2.50 and got 2. I get the Rapa turkey scrapple and cut the greyish loaf into 8 slices, so about 2oz each. I have one slice fried in the morning and usually spread on a bagel, english muffin or toast, or like this morning, mixed in with last night's leftover potatoes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread