Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! A protester sneaker tree! I haven't heard that happen before. Normally its the one you're cutting that gets you.

Glad you're still with us.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Happy you still alive. Next time, hire an expert.

Thanks Honest Samuel.. I am happy to be alive, too. As far as "experts" go, I have been cutting trees up and down most of my life, starting when I was a young kid on our farm in Maryland. Back then, I used a Wright's Reciprocating saw because they thought a chainsaw was too dangerous for a kid. I also have my own sawmill and kiln. On the ground, I probably have as much experience as an "expert" although I don't do any climbing...never have and never will .. That I will leave to the experts.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 6.50.20 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 6.50.20 PM.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks all .. I got lucky this time. I believe I did have the Man Upstairs looking out for me.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Honest Samuel.. I am happy to be alive, too. As far as "experts" go, I have been cutting trees up and down most of my life, starting when I was a young kid on our farm in Maryland. Back then, I used a Wright's Reciprocating saw because they thought a chainsaw was too dangerous for a kid. I also have my own sawmill and kiln. On the ground, I probably have as much experience as an "expert" although I don't do any climbing...never have and never will .. That I will leave to the experts.

Fancy that! I built my own sawmill. Have been working all day with a wood fired kiln I built. Presently making baseboards for my buddy I'm helping build his house and my daughter is redoing her floors and have baseboards cooking for her too. Have about 500 running feet of 1/2x4" pine in the kiln right now along with 6 window sill boards. I'm no expert either but have been cutting wood for over 50 years. The guy that just purchased the land around me just logged it off and told me I could have anything that was not hauled after it was cut and they left alot. I've been snagging logs with my loader and bringing them home to cut up for my neighbors.

Attachments

• 102_0489.JPG
    102_0489.JPG
    365.1 KB · Views: 41

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to hear you only suffered minimum damage. Those sneakers that get you from behind are nasties!

Paulo

Oct 13, 2019
West Toast
Detector(s) used
HF-9, X-Ray Vision (1st gen), LDDS-1x (lawn dart dowsing system)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whew! Close call...Your title had me thinking that you were threatening to quit the forum or something.

Oh, and glad to hear you thwarted that homicidal tree's attempt on your life too.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you are OK. I had two vertebrae fused in my neck about 4 years ago so the only thing I do now is saw logs all night long!:laughing7:

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is some scary stuff! You are lucky to be able to tell the story!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What Ticndig said - get a helmet and face shield (and protect your hearing with muffs or earplugs).

I've been chainsawing 40 years and TRY and be careful and scope out the fall and potential hazards. Watch for a sideways kick from the trunk, keep the chain sharp and make sure if it bucks or kicks-back no part of me is there.

Twice I've been caught. The first was one of my first attempts and using a borrowed chainsaw. I got through the felling (a tree beside our house) and all the logs cut; but I was clearing the branches and small bits. I was using a little 14" Homelight and had the bright idea of running the saw one-handed to lop the little 1" & smaller bits into kindling. Saw caught and I ran it right across the second knuckles of my left hand and did a 1/4" deep trough through the first two fingers. Ow, ow, ow. It was a year before I could make a fist (LOTS of sweat-beading squeezing off balled socks, stress balls and eventually tennis balls later I got 100% use back). Dumb and lucky.

#2 was a dead tree that I felled and as it was falling the top 1/3 broke and doubled back towards me after a "deflection" by a standing tree beside it. I was able to remedy that with a $10 replacement safety helmet and tossed the cracked one but moved the muffs and face-shield over. WELL worth it.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
What Ticndig said - get a helmet and face shield (and protect your hearing with muffs or earplugs).

I've been chainsawing 40 years and TRY and be careful and scope out the fall and potential hazards. Watch for a sideways kick from the trunk, keep the chain sharp and make sure if it bucks or kicks-back no part of me is there.

Twice I've been caught. The first was one of my first attempts and using a borrowed chainsaw. I got through the felling (a tree beside our house) and all the logs cut; but I was clearing the branches and small bits. I was using a little 14" Homelight and had the bright idea of running the saw one-handed to lop the little 1" & smaller bits into kindling. Saw caught and I ran it right across the second knuckles of my left hand and did a 1/4" deep trough through the first two fingers. Ow, ow, ow. It was a year before I could make a fist (LOTS of sweat-beading squeezing off balled socks, stress balls and eventually tennis balls later I got 100% use back). Dumb and lucky.

#2 was a dead tree that I felled and as it was falling the top 1/3 broke and doubled back towards me after a "deflection" by a standing tree beside it. I was able to remedy that with a $10 replacement safety helmet and tossed the cracked one but moved the muffs and face-shield over. WELL worth it.

The tree that was down was no more dangerous than a tree falling in your yard. It was down already with no threats. Ordinarily, if I am cutting a tree down, I do wear a forestry helmet. However, I also live in 31 acres of forrest, and if I had to look for hazards every time I walked out my back door, I would never see the ground in front of me. The fluke that hit me was totally unrelated to anything I was doing, or to the downed tree I was moving out of the road.

At any rate, I do have a torn rotator among other things in my left arm and shoulder. I weighing my options at the moment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread