Milspec6

Jun 22, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought i would take a moment to introduce myself.

I live out in a series of small towns in Eastern Nebraska and spent most of my life in this area. I have never been involved in metal detecting, but have recently become very interested in giving it a try out of extreme curiosity for what is on my property as well as the property I grew up on. See, my current home was built by the railroad in 1860, some 12 years before it ever became a town. I have been here nearly 20 years now and have discovered items just from gardening as well when installing some fence posts, so it makes me wonder just what might be below the ground on what is just shy of 2 acres. The childhood home was actually an old country school house from 1882 that my family added onto back in the mid-'60's. I know where the outhouses were and the location of all the playground equipment, so that place also intrigues me.

Anyway, that is my immediate motivations that lead me here....to learn what I can and get started.

I have already spent the past week reading everything I could about much of the equipment on the market and like the Fisher units as well as the Simplex at this point. I am trying to keep my gear costs down below $500 so I am being cautious, but like I learned when I took up playing guitar 10 years ago....you should buy the best equipment that you can afford starting out. That normally results in the fastest learning and success. So, I have been looking at the Fisher F44, F75 (used of course), and the Simplex units. I have bypassed all the Garretts (ACE 300 and 400) simply due to a bias...they just felt cheap to me and not really well balanced. That is not a very scientific reason to exclude them as they seem to be a great pricepoint, but it just left me a little cold.

Anyway, have to get back to work, just wanted to introduce myself and will hopefully more to add once I start gathering gear.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet. I use to live in Lincoln and Nebraska City.

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from San Jose, CA! Good luck and happy hunting!

OP
OP
M

Milspec6

Jun 22, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you are the one that got away?

Thanks....looking forward to giving things a go.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! Looks like you are doing the right this on detector selection. It will take time, if you can try out (like the ACE) a detector before use that would be ideal.

There are many detectors to purchase, some in your price range. Please note that a "good" Pin Pointer ($ 109 - $ 140 dollars), quality digging tools and finds pouch ($50 - $ 120 dollars). For a first time detector within your price range; leaving you money for the accessories is the Simplex. For the money the Simplex wireless is not bad. I purchased one for a keep in car detector and have done very well with it in farm fields, play areas and ball fields. With the new updates it's a better machine. You can purchase it for around $ 300 dollars shipped to your door. If you grow in the hobby, like most of us, you will in the future purchase other higher value machines.

Good Luck on your search and hunting!

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Mid-Missouri!

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the Professor. Start out with a decent machine like the Simplex that doesn't have a big learning curve and get used to it. You can always sell it an upgrade in the future if you choose to. I know it is out of your price range but just about everyone who owns a Minelab Equinox 800 highly praises them. If I didn't have an XP Deus I would get the 800.

OP
OP
M

Milspec6

Jun 22, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i appreciate the advice and it is all logical, but I worry that i would make the same mistake that I made with guitar a decade ago. Starting out with a low end instrument just made learning harder and didn't really inspire me much. It wasn't until I purchased my first quality instrument that my enjoyment of the hobby took shape and i made great progress from that point onward. I also learned that it never stops with just one, just as you really need multiple instruments, you likely end up with multiple detectors to fit all your needs....hobbies always seem to get expensive.

I like the specs on that Simplex and I have watched a ton of videos of it in operation. Seems pretty darn good for such a low price, but I also saw a couple of things that I didn't like. Mainly that lower shaft being plastic and that it bends if fully extended. I am 6'4" so having it fully extended is quite likely for me and the thought of the coil bending with each pass worries me. It also seems to do an amazing job of detecting everything even down real deep, but not so great at identifying the hit so I would likely end up digging on every hit to find out. Probably a fantastic beach machine and still amazing for the money, but I think the lower shaft would be a big issue for me.

Besides, i would have to re-learn each upgrade machine anyway down the road, so might as well find a machine with all the features I think I might need and learn it from the start. At least that is what i am thinking right now....with my brain, that is subject to change on an hourly basis and with every viewing of my budget.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Take a look at the Minelab Equinox 600. Since you're not likely to hit many saltwater beaches in Nebraska, the 600 might just be the ticket! A great machine for the price.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to one of the FINER forums on the internet. If you need help i can come out and give you a hand LOL. Do not be affraid to ask questions

OP
OP
M

Milspec6

Jun 22, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A quick update.....I just ordered a Simplex with pinpointer.

I just came to the conclusion that I need to get moving instead of paralyzing myself with reading reviews and trying to decide on a detector. I was telling a buddy that I wanted to get a Fisher F75, but then a Simplex for the wet stuff. Then it hit me that it would be a sound investment to just start out with the Simplex and look for the F75 down the road a little. I will end up in the same place while I get some time out in the field while I wait. Besides, I couldn't really pass up the deal on the Simplex while supplies still exist. Not sure I am going to love the pinpointer of these instead of the Garrett, but it was in the package deal so again...hard to pass up.

I didn't go with the wireless headphones though. I might end up regretting that, but I really hate dual cup headphones and they aren't waterproof either. I figure that since they include an adapter to allow any 1/4 plug to attach, i could look for a headphone set that I like if desired later. I really don't mind a corded headphone over Bluetooth.

So, there we go. Sometime soon I will be off to the races. Curious though, does anyone make a replacement lower shaft that would fit the Simplex? That is still my biggest concern with the detector by the reports of the plastic lower shaft. I am not worried much about any ergonomic issues (i keep reading some complaints on balance and lack of padding) since there is nothing in my life that has ever been ergonomic. I carried a .50 cal for years all over the Desert and I carry a 40 lb mail satchal over one shoulder all day as a letter carrier....my body doesn't know what to do with ergonmics.

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .:hello:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum from the Blue Mountains of northeastern Oregon! Looks like you're doing your homework and are well on your way!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum and the hobby. I also agree with the Professor. Good advice to follow.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Milspec6,

I am 6'4" myself and the Simplex works fine. I recently heard they have fixed the older "wobbly shaft" issue with a plastic insert. Also, they are manufacturing a longer lower shaft for us tall people with the plastic insert installed. About having to many machines, most of us have multiple machines for different detecting situations. IMHO: there is no single machine that solves all detecting conditions. If you would like to any clarification please PM me.

Doc

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Milspec6,

I am 6'4" myself and the Simplex works fine. I recently heard they have fixed the older "wobbly shaft" issue with a plastic insert. Also, they are manufacturing a longer lower shaft for us tall people with the plastic insert installed. About having to many machines, most of us have multiple machines for different detecting situations. IMHO: there is no single machine that solves all detecting conditions. If you would like to any clarification please PM me.

Doc

OP
OP
M

Milspec6

Jun 22, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that post...it puts my mind at ease now. UPS has the detector and with luck I will see it very soon.

I also appreciate the offer to answer any questions...will be in touch if needed.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome buddy. I have used the Simplex for a few months now and it's a good unit. I just came off long term use with a Garrett ATP, and the Simplex definitely has decent depth. I would say that the Simplex could trade punches with the AT Pro and still be standing when it's over. Which is incredible considering the price. Go look at my post about a deep spill I found with Simplex. Being the genius that I am, it took me a while to learn this machine, and start setting it up to my needs/interests. It definitely hits well above it's price category. Best of luck to you.

OP
OP
M

Milspec6

Jun 22, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that, I have mine assembled and charging as I write this post.

Over-all, seems quite impressive for something so light and inexpensive. The only experience I have with metal detectors was a heavy boat anchor of a thing my Grandfather had back in the mid-'70's....definately not the same animal. I do wish they would have padded the arm cuff, doesn't seem like it would be all that costly. I plan to add some this week to correct that part.

One question though...what is the deal with the charging requirements? The manual tells you to only use the proper charging adapter, but doesn't actually include it with the accessories? It also notes that you can operate with a powerbank, but doesn't specify which ones would be acceptable. I am just charging it off my desktop USB port, but it would be nice to be able to use a portable charger for out in the field.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread