Getting permission to MD

madmantrapper

Sep 1, 2018
Carroll County, Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have any of you folks ever researched maps and property data bases to find places to detect? I came across a few places within 20 miles that were built in the 1860's. I found phone numbers for the owners and was thinking of calling them to ask permission. Then I thought maybe it would be better to just go knock on the door. What do you all do?

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't go wrong by knocking on the door. The worst they can do is say "NO!"

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whichever way is easiest for you. Just make sure you get an answer one way or the other...

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't even answer the phone if I don't recognize the number , too many scammers out there. others may feel the same about talking to a total stranger
I would write a nice letter explaining who I am , my phone number and what it is I'm asking to do.

then I'd go knock on the door to ask. if they don't answer the door for the stranger on the other side leave the letter on the door as they are sure to look at it.
then the ball is in there court.

good luck to you.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's worth detecting, it's worth the drive to ask permission. Would you give someone you don't know access to your property over the phone or would you rather meet them to judge what kind of person they might be. I have tried it both ways and found out it is really easy for a landowner to deny permission over the phone. I have had much greater success knocking on their doors.

OP
OP
madmantrapper

madmantrapper

Sep 1, 2018
Carroll County, Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's worth detecting, it's worth the drive to ask permission. Would you give someone you don't know access to your property over the phone or would you rather meet them to judge what kind of person they might be. I have tried it both ways and found out it is really easy for a landowner to deny permission over the phone. I have had much greater success knocking on their doors.

Very good point!

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Madmantrapper,

You may not want to take your two foxes with you. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I find if I can catch them out in the yard and asking then instead of knocking and possibly bothering them....it works for me. GOOD LUCK!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread