Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://www.foxnews.com/science/tanzanian-miner-finds-gems-becomes-millionaire

A small-scale miner from Tanzania become an overnight millionaire on Wednesday after he sold two rough tanzanite gemstones said to be the largest ever found in the country.

Saniniu Laizer, 52, announced he would slaughter one of his 2,000 cows and build a school to celebrate. The two dark violet-blue gemstones weighed a total of 33 pounds. He sold them for 7.74 billion Tanzanian shillings ($3.4 million U.S. dollars).

“There will be a big party tomorrow,” Laizer, from the Manyara region, told the BBC. “I want to build a shopping mall and a school. I want to build this school near my home. There are many poor people around here who can’t afford to take their children to school.”

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The article says he has more than 30 children..maybe he shouldn't
quit his day job just yet..:laughing7:

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well heck, no wonder he needs a school. Even still-!

Edit: does the article really say more than 30? Like they couldn't get an exact count or he doesn't know how many he has? XD

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yikes, reminds me of a quote that Grouch Marx said to a woman on his show that had 22 kids!

grouch.png

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the first tanzanite boom my buddy was on a hunting safari there. His guide kept trying to sell him 2 large pieces of tanzanite. One was cut in the shape of a heart and one was uncut. On the last day the guide finally said give me 1500$ and have them appraised when you get back to the states. He said if you like them send me another 1500$ or if not send them back and he would refund the original 1500$. Well we never got a real appraisal but the jewler offerd 12000$ for the cut piece.....the guide got his additional 1500 $ and my buddies wife got the most insane large tanzanite heart pendant.....he still has the uncut piece....its got to be a 40 carat + piece.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread