Spent too much on a knife

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Microtech UTX-85.... is my EDC so i can relate..

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have bought an auto if it was legal in my state ; (

BAB17AEF-9954-48A8-A350-6B2C824B2460.jpeg
3F44EA4F-C377-4154-B70A-503FA03D8E27.jpeg

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope. My work-day EDC is an eminently sensible G10 over stainless liner, S30V.

Weekends: carbon-fiber over S/S liner & AUS-8 blade (not fancy but also not pampered at all around the homestead).

But the other 67 knives I have lying around may feel underutilized. ;-)

If you enjoy it you didn't spend too much.

Unless you went out for a four-figure Brian Tighe or a Jena Anso . . . in which case it's artwork and probably won't ever see the inside of a deer or the outside of a building.

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope. My work-day EDC is an eminently sensible G10 over stainless liner, S30V.

Weekends: carbon-fiber over S/S liner & AUS-8 blade (not fancy but also not pampered at all around the homestead).

But the other 67 knives I have lying around may feel underutilized. ;-)

If you enjoy it you didn't spend too much.

Unless you went out for a four-figure Brian Tighe or a Jena Anso . . . in which case it's artwork and probably won't ever see the inside of a deer or the outside of a building.

I carry the Kershaw Launch 3 outside of work...Its a little more sensible...

Milspec6

Jun 22, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never saw the value in carrying a knife when you can carry a Leatherman Multi-tool instead. You can buy a nice "wave" for cheap and be ready for anything.

It would be different if buying a combat knife for use in....well, combat. In that case, you can never spend too much.

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never saw the value in carrying a knife when you can carry a Leatherman Multi-tool instead. You can buy a nice "wave" for cheap and be ready for anything.

It would be different if buying a combat knife for use in....well, combat. In that case, you can never spend too much.

I carry a well stocked toolbox in my truck.
Rather grab the right tool for the job.

I have carried a multi-tool in the past.
Never really stuck with me.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I carry a Gerber Multi-Plier 600 on the weekends. But it's not much use for self-defense; as the version I have doesn't have a blade. But If I am fast enough to get a jaw in each of your nostrils I'm in charge.

Anything that's designed to do a lot doesn't do any one thing the best.

Since I can't carry a concealed pistol at work I have a defensive knife in my pocket (right now a Benchmade 940-2 front and a Victorinox SAK Camper beside my wallet at the rear). Just one blade, rugged, and fast opening. It's better than harsh language - but only just.

Milspec6

Jun 22, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Until some jack-wagon steals that tool box. Happened to me twice in 5 years.

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely 'Tacticool".
The S35VN steel sure is more attractive than the SV30.
Takes a nice polish.

I'll be interested to see how easily it is sharpened and holds an edge.

With a previous knife, I was disappointed with the Benchmade SV30 steel. It didn't seem to hold a polished edge very well. Looking closely, I could see chips. Benchmade's factory edge is a coarse grind maybe that's what it needs?

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know alot about steel but the Microtech steel is American made CTS-204P

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely 'Tacticool".
The S35VN steel sure is more attractive than the SV30.
Takes a nice polish.

I'll be interested to see how easily it is sharpened and holds an edge.

With a previous knife, I was disappointed with the Benchmade SV30 steel. It didn't seem to hold a polished edge very well. Looking closely, I could see chips. Benchmade's factory edge is a coarse grind maybe that's what it needs?

CMP S35VN has a finer grain than S30V. Both are Crucible steel (big foundry right beside the NYS Fairgrounds - now closed down) but the S35VN polishes up better. If you want a shiny knife. They have similar qualities, including edge retention, though S30V is harder to machine. So they added 0.5% niobium in place of that much vanadium to S30V and it becomes S35VN.

https://www.knifeart.com/s30vvss35vn.html

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CMP S35VN has a finer grain than S30V. Both are Crucible steel (big foundry right beside the NYS Fairgrounds - now closed down) but the S35VN polishes up better. If you want a shiny knife. They have similar qualities, including edge retention, though S30V is harder to machine. So they added 0.5% niobium in place of that much vanadium to S30V and it becomes S35VN.

https://www.knifeart.com/s30vvss35vn.html

Well I hope it resists chipping enough to overcome that issue.
Truthfully I'd take old fashion Buck steel over the Benchmade SV30.
Maybe I just need to learn it better.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go for it.

With the dozens of different steels there is a lot of overlap; and some folks don't mind spending a few minutes restoring an edge. Some even find it satisfying. And some are happy with D2 - that takes a mediocre edge and holds it forever. We all have different needs and expectations from our knives.

Two of my favorite knives are a forged 1085 steel 4.5" skinner made from an old plow coulter, and the other a forged 10" "Rifleman's" knife from 5160 off a Ford truck leaf spring. Have to watch out for rust but the edge retention is astonishing and they will "pop" hair off your arm when fresh.

And both VERY much made in the USA. ;-)

Haversack and Poll Axe.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for it.

With the dozens of different steels there is a lot of overlap; and some folks don't mind spending a few minutes restoring an edge. Some even find it satisfying. And some are happy with D2 - that takes a mediocre edge and holds it forever. We all have different needs and expectations from our knives.

Two of my favorite knives are a forged 1085 steel 5" skinner made from an old plow coulter, and the other a forged 10" "Rifleman's" knife from 5160 off a Ford truck leaf spring. Have to watch out for rust but the edge retention is astonishing and they will "pop" hair off your arm when fresh.

Yes, I’m not big on paper studies (ya it’s a pun)...I’ve seen some very old useful professional butcher knives that would sharpen to to a useful edge in seconds and could be quickly touched up during butchering. Not hair splitting razor sharp edge, which is not very useful butchering, but a good cutting edge.

Personally, I like to use a set of Smith ceramic rods to bring my knives back to very sharp. 20 seconds and the softer steel is shaving again if you don’t abuse it. Might not hold it extremely long, but easy to fix.

Whatever Oldtimer used was easy to sharpen, but the Buck steel was the best compromise between easy to sharpen and lasting a reasonable time.

Well I’ve got a blade now that’s considered by many
to be one of the best modern blade steels today. I’m excited to see how it works once the factory edge is used up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for it.

Two of my favorite knives are a forged 1085 steel 4.5" skinner made from an old plow coulter, and the other a forged 10" "Rifleman's" knife from 5160 off a Ford truck leaf spring. Have to watch out for rust but the edge retention is astonishing and they will "pop" hair off your arm when fresh.

View attachment 1844316

Pics? Please. Thank you.

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie, I was the youngest among a half dozen old timers at buck camp. Me ->12. Them - > old enough that they wanted to hunt pigeons along the road instead of packing bucks out along the dusty trail.

One of the guys (AL) was kind of an artist/craftsman. Every year the older men would have an axe throwing contest. This was something learned in fire camps during their youth. There was an old tree in camp that had long ago been killed by annual contests throwing double bit and boys axes. I had put in a couple years at camp and felt accepted as a man if you will. When it came time to throw axes...AL brought out these hand forged axes, with hand shaped handles....long story short, first throw, I snapped that glossy handle in half.

He gathered up his toys and put them away. I think that was the last year they ever threw axes.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie, I was the youngest among a half dozen old timers at buck camp. Me ->12. Them - > old enough that they wanted to hunt pigeons along the road instead of packing bucks out along the dusty trail.

One of the guys (AL) was kind of an artist/craftsman. Every year the older men would have an axe throwing contest. This was something learned in fire camps during their youth. There was an old tree in camp that had long ago been killed by annual contests throwing double bit and boys axes. I had put in a couple years at camp and felt accepted as a man if you will. When it came time to throw axes...AL brought out these hand forged axes, with hand shaped handles....long story short, first throw, I snapped that glossy handle in half.

He gathered up his toys and put them away. I think that was the last year they ever threw axes.

Lmao... damn kids..

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been selling and making knives since I was 20-years old. Here is a Ken Richardson knife made from an old leaf-spring, and a couple of my favorite Gerber models. Can't give the full link to my store TerrysKnifeStore but I can special order anything and everything.:skullflag:

Attachments

• IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0126.jpg
    IMG_0126.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 42
  • P1070349a.jpg
    P1070349a.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
  • P1070343a.jpg
    P1070343a.jpg