Uncle Hugh Was Onto Something

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Aunt Mary always had a couple of cats wandering around the house, when I was a young child. Whenever my Uncle Hugh couldn't find something, he'd blame it on a cat. If he couldn't find his glasses, cigar cutter, lighter or maybe even his drink, it's cuz the cat took it. He's ask one of the cats where they put it, but they would never tell him.

I always thought he was kind of wacky.

But now I think he might have been on to something.

I can set something down, a tool, bolt, rake, drink, atomic bomb or most anything and two minutes later it's gone. It's not where I put it.

I don't have any cats, so the only thing I can figure is my dog hid it. I'll ask her where she put it, but it don't do no good, she won't tell me.

She's a dog and she ain't got no hands. But she still really does a good job hiding stuff from me.

How do she do it?

Does this happen to anybody else?

I'd really like to know how to solve this problem.
I spend more time lookin than doin.
Is there a face page or boob tube video that might help me?

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if your dog is like my dog Id check his poop in a day or 2 :laughing7:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some hand tools exist on the edge of another universe, appear and disappear. Screwdrivers, for example. 1/2 inch and 10mm sockets. And the little pry tool they gave you when you bought the paint. You know you have at least a dozen of them, but can you find one?

Drink/smoke can make things move around. Not the cats.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Things disappear , and sometimes reappear.
I find things that were "lost" when looking for something else that's lost more often than finding what was being looked for. (Wait , what was I looking for again?)

I'm not sure how much of what disappears is due to the dogs. Even they can disappear.
I count the dogs sometimes , and can usually find a/the missing one or two. But it does not seem to be due to the other dogs causing the disappearances.

I better study it closer....

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're looking at the wrong suspect. It's the WIFE. Even if you don't have one, someone's wife took it, moved it, hid it, "put it away". Even if you put it away, she put it away where it supposedly belongs. She won't tell you that she did it, she will wait until you look all over, then ask her.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No matter how hard you look for it and no matter who took it, you'll find it always in the last place you look!

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Uncle Hugh.
I don't lose things. I just put them in places where I know I'll need them 3 weeks later!

Me too! But since I lose track of time, that may explain why the stuff keeps hiding from me also.

Actually, whatever is missing is in that parallel universe with the missing sock you can't find!! (Those glasses weren't on head a minute ago.)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am missing my 16mm ratchet wrench... it has driven me crazy... I have been looking for it for 6 months...

Even magnet bar'd the yard a few times.

Not like I use that size often... but because it is part of that Blackhawk set... its a blank spot that drives me nuts.

Been off on a hunt for it 20 times it feels like... every time I open that set... I see is gone and off I go.

I am beginning to think my neighbor might be the "culprit" / "ghost".... for he "borrows" things from time to time and is not always good about putting it back.

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 440, E-Trac, Fisher F-Pulse pin-pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Fellow up above has it right. I (me) NEVER lose anything. My wife hides em...usually calls it 'house cleaning' or sometimes claims she's converting the "man cave" (our house) into a "she shed". I'm certain it's a right brain vs left brain thing.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just aren’t looking in the right places. Hammer missing? Check the freezer. Can’t find your keys? Maybe in with your toothbrush. Welcome to my world. Mysterious non animal related things start to happen as you get older.

And I am missing my Craftsman Robo Grip plier, so if I have mailed it to any of you, please return it.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know about hiding but cats are the mechanism of gravity (anything on anything must be pushed off) and dogs will take anything that smells good, bad, like Master handled it or is small enough to get in their mouth and take it to a comfy spot to chew. And if it is too runny or decomposed to be moved, roll in it.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things disappear every time i tidy up my workshop. No exception. I really cannot understand the Japanese 5S idea.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use to be when all we had were landlines I'd be working on equipment in the shop and the phone would ring and I'd drop everything and go catch the phone before they hung up, I'd come back to pickup the tool I was using and again start where I left off, but whatever tool I was using wasn't there where I was sure I'd left it. I'd look all over the shop and finally found something had moved it elsewhere. Now days with a cellphone I can stay put and keep my eyes on that tool and nothing will come and move it with me standing there watching it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Deep1

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some hand tools exist on the edge of another universe, appear and disappear. Screwdrivers, for example. 1/2 inch and 10mm sockets. And the little pry tool they gave you when you bought the paint. You know you have at least a dozen of them, but can you find one?

Drink/smoke can make things move around. Not the cats.

I thought is just me.
I have a couple of hundred 1/2 inch sockets somewhere in never never land.
I can never find one when I need it.
3/4 like to hide too.

I bet Raysun buried them.
Don't suggest I use my metal detector to find them.
She doesn't dig holes, she digs craters and then tunnels.
They're most likely 4 or 5 foot deep.
One of her craters took a yard of dirt to fill.

Wish I could teach her to dig my targets.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just like missing socks in the washing machine. :dontknow:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
And that is one of the biggest mysteries in this universe (unless the slipped over the edge into a different dimension)! :laughing7:

Mother socks warning the children to stay close together before entering lest someone get lost.

Single sock anemia.

Or...
images.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread