Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White‘s Sierra Madre
White‘s TM–600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Unfortunately the Romans used lead for their plumbing systems. Drinking water and lead was not a good combination !

OP
OP
gunsil

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately the Romans used lead for their plumbing systems. Drinking water and lead was not a good combination !

We used lead in our plumbing for years also and most pre-1970 or so homes here with copper pipes all have lead solder joints.

Dzrt1st

Jan 4, 2019
Western Washington
Detector(s) used
AT Pro,
Whites 4900 D/L Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy is probably half deaf after swinging over that huge chunk of lead. Awesome find.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
We used lead in our plumbing for years also and most pre-1970 or so homes here with copper pipes all have lead solder joints.

I had to show just how much I agreed with your post. I spent almost 50 years in the plumbing and mechanical piping industries - of course then I retired. Still walking this Earth, but most of my "old" friends are gone. Certainly couldn't have had such an issue with plumbing and mechanical systems could it = all that lead and all those toxins "we" absorbed?

Really, we as workers didn't know about that for "GENERATIONS". Payed far better bucks than working in the cotton mills for little over minimum wage.

I guess I'm pretty fortunate still typing on this worn out keyboard :)

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite some find. Although a small part if the inscription is missing at the beginning, it can easily be interpolated from what can be seen on the intact portion. In full it reads:

CAES ^ AVG ^ BR͡IT ^ X ṂAGVL ^ F̣VSVM ^ OP I͡N ^ P͡ROV ^ T͡R͡EB͡E͡L ^ MAXIMO ^ LEG ^ AVG.

The archaeologists interpreted this as:

[Neronis] Caes(aris) Aug(usti) (plumbum) Brit(annicum) (e)x Magul(…) fusum op(eribus) in prov(incia) Trebel(lio) Maximo leg(ato) Aug(usti)

And translated it as:

(Property) of Nero Caesar Augustus, British (lead) from Magul(…), smelted at the works in the province when Trebellius Maximus was imperial legate.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quite some find. Although a small part if the inscription is missing at the beginning, it can easily be interpolated from what can be seen on the intact portion. In full it reads:

CAES ^ AVG ^ BR͡IT ^ X ṂAGVL ^ F̣VSVM ^ OP I͡N ^ P͡ROV ^ T͡R͡EB͡E͡L ^ MAXIMO ^ LEG ^ AVG.

The archaeologists interpreted this as:

[Neronis] Caes(aris) Aug(usti) (plumbum) Brit(annicum) (e)x Magul(…) fusum op(eribus) in prov(incia) Trebel(lio) Maximo leg(ato) Aug(usti)

And translated it as:

(Property) of Nero Caesar Augustus, British (lead) from Magul(…), smelted at the works in the province when Trebellius Maximus was imperial legate.

Red-Coat, you need to come to the US and get on the Jeopardy game show. I think you would do well. Gary

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting! :icon_thumleft:

jane477

Jul 3, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wrexham museum has acquired the ingot and the Arts Council England/V&A Purchase Grant Fund, the Headley Trust and the Friends of Wrexham Museums provided support with the acquisition which otherwise would not have been possible. Its acquisition will allow the ingot to be displayed in the town nearest to the place where it was lost and rediscovered

And I think that in a matter of days after the quarantine measures will drop the place will be flooded with other searchers=).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions