Two Of My Gilt Mercantile Flat Button Finds To Be Featured In A Scholastic Reference

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A researcher I'm in contact with is soon publishing a reference book on plain gilt and plated buttons found in North America to assist historians, archaeologists, collectors, and metal detectorists catalog and date their finds. Although he owns and has studied an extensive collection of buttons, the Townsend - Titus & Co. gilt button I recently discovered (pictured here) is the only known example he is aware of. They were a Dry Goods firm based in New York operating 1821-1829. He does own an example of the Hallock & Moore button but curiously with a different Pearl St., NYC address. They were also Dry Goods dealers in business 1829-1835. It's interesting to note that these buttons reflect the expected growth of wealth generated by nearby Sag Harbor's whaling industry (which lasted until 1847), its designation as a US Port of Entry, and site of a US Customs House. These ships had to be outfitted for very long voyages.

Although American entrepreneurs were manufacturing buttons during this time frame, both of these examples are of British manufacture. They were made by order with the names of the stores embossed. New York and Philadelphia were the leaders in domestic production, NY by far.

In the upcoming book my finds will be properly cited. More importantly, I have two experts willing to help me ID future finds. The author offered to buy these two examples from me but I donated them for history's sake. Metal Detectorists can and do make meaningful contributions to the historical record. As a return gesture he going to gift me some New York State Civil War buttons.

I also reached out to Robert Silverstein who created the excellent GW Inaugural Button website. I recently sent him a picture of my GW button detector find which I took the moment when I unearthed its rebirth into the modern world. He responded: "That is one nice GW button you dug. Nice color out of the ground to boot." This probably more than ever made me feel like a member of the GW Club.

TT2.jpg tres59.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for sharing! :occasion14:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations all the way around!