Another beginner advice thread

TroveRyan

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2020
Westminster, MD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey there, so Ive read quite a few threads here and I'm sure these questions have been asked before. But there is SO much info out there I want to get my feet wet on this forum anyway so I'll go ahead post this.

I am brand new to metal detecting and the first step is to get a machine. It seems like the Simplex would be a good beginner choice. I live in Maryland and will be coin and relic hunting locally, but also want to be able to hit the beach from time to time and maybe some shallow water areas, so I like the waterproof feature of the Simplex.

My questions are: Is the Simplex my best bet, or should I hold out for this new Garrett Apex I'm reading about? How much difference will multi-frequency make for a beginner? Accessories recommended? Headphones or no?

Also, any suggestion on best vendor to purchase from? Any deals out there?

Thanks all!!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ryan, all pro hunters use headphones although some use earbuds when it is hot. Phones increase your ability to hear the softer faint tones of deeper targets. Deeper sometimes equals older. They also help me stay in "the zone" where I am totally concentrated on the hunt and undisturbed by surrounding noise. I would go with a multi frequency VLF machine, they have sort of made single frequency VLFs outdated since they can hunt more effectively in salt environments and highly mineralized soil. The detector market is changing rapidly with more and more waterproof multi frequency machines coming out all the time, single frequency non-waterpproof detectors are becoming obsolete for much hunting although there are exceptions. I have several modern machines, have never bought a new one in forty years. There are a lot of hardly used machines on the market with a lot of factory warranty left, I have gotten two from craigslist and two from ebay. There are a lot of folks who get a detector and find they just don't have the necessary patience to use it and sell them for great deals. Most of what we all find is trash and some just don't understand that when they try detecting. If you go to the bottom of the forums here you will find the supporting dealer section. You have to call these dealers up, they often give better prices over the phone than they are allowed to openly advertise due to their dealer agreements with the manufacturers. Don't be afraid to call a bunch of them looking for the best price, there will be differences from dealer to dealer. Some dealers also broker used machines with warranty, don't be afraid to ask. There IS a learning curve for sure and often the multis are harder to learn than the more simple single frequency machines but the benefits of multi are well worth it. Your state is one of the first and there are many great targets in the ground just waiting for somebody to find them. I hope this helps a little and that you learn whatever machine you get well and find some great stuff!!

For accessories, a good pinpointer helps speed up target recovery and a "finds pouch" and digging tool are necessary. A digging tool can be a simple cheap hunting knife or trowel which will do for starters. A pouch is needed for all the junk one digs, never put junk back into the ground or leave it strewn around. When you get your machine it is best to practice on your own property or that of relatives until you get adept at making plugs and holes and hone your pinpointing skills to where you don't need to make a huge hole for a small target. This pastime is great fun for all of us here and one of the few pastimes that can actually pay off if you are patient and/or just plain lucky.

Last edited:

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gunsil has given you some great advice. Don't know if I'd go on Ebay to get a used machine. The want ad section on this forum (and others) has a number of good used machines for sale. I'd start there first. I addition to the points Gunsil brought up, you'll also need a digger. Lesche has a number of good ones, so you should check out dealers who sell them. I own a Simplex and LOVE it! The Garret Apex won't be released until next month and is almost $200 more expensive. Whatever you decide, welcome and happy hunting!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apex is not a waterproof machine and Ryan says he'd like to do a little water hunting. I think many here will agree that the best bang for the bucks in a true waterproof multi frequency machine right now is the Minelab Equinox 600 or 800. 800 retails at $900 but I got mine locally on craigslist for $750 only used for a month. Previous owner was a long time Etrac user who just preferred his Etrac and wasn't in need of a waterproof machine. I got my Safari used from a Minelab dealer on ebay who used it in Guatemala for two weeks and sold it for $200 less than new with a full warranty, these deals are out there. Several of our supporting dealers also sell lightly used machines with near full warranty for great deals, it is a good way to go to save money. $100-$200 hundred off for a machine with only one or two months of warranty used up and the rest still good just makes sense to me. An old cheap hunting knife still works as good as any Lesche trowel, I used one for forty years before I invested fifty bucks for a modern digger trowel. Shovels are only good for the woods, should not be used in public lawns. I see no need for a beginner to go all out with fancy diggers or pouches when it is better to put that money towards a better machine. I still have my first pouch made from a blue jeans leg sewn closed at one end with a drawstring on top which can easily be looped to one's belt. Works just as well as any $50 pouch in reality. good coins and jewelry just went in the watch pocket in my jeans, junk in the pouch. Sometimes simple is better especially for one just getting started.

OP
OP
T

TroveRyan

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2020
Westminster, MD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Gunsil and CalReg for the advice! I decided to play it safe (cheap?) and go with the Simplex through Big Boys Hobbies. Not multi frequency but I read some reviews where it worked reasonably well on the beach. And for the price, decided to just grab a new one. Can always upgrade in the future.

Can't wait to share some pics of all the bottle caps and pull tabs I find! :tongue3:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All single frequency VLFs work on the beach as long as you stay in dry sand. None of them work well in the wet salt sand or in the saltwater no matter what ANYBODY says, just a fact of detecting life. Enjoy your Simplex, it will serve you well and work fine in freshwater lakes and streams, and dry ocean sand, everywhere but in the wet salt. Go out and find yourself some gold, sell it and get a multi!! Most of all have fun!! If you are like most of us EVERY time the machine goes beep we get excited hoping for a great find. The main thing is to practice a lot and really learn what the machine is telling you. A hunter with an entry level machine who really knows their detector will usually outhunt somebody with the top of the line machine who doesn't know their machine well. Also remember there is no substitute for luck, you gotta get the coil over a good target before you can dig one. Also keep in mind that all aluminum pulltabs and lead sinkers sound just like gold to any detector made so you can't discriminate out those pesky signals or you will miss gold rings. "He who digs the most holes finds the most good stuff!!" Whooeee!, you're gonna have some fun!!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread