AND I THOUGHT SKYDIVING WAS AN EXPENSIVE SPORT! NOW SCUBA CERTIFIED!

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this elderly woman in her 80's I was doing handyman work for on her house, horse pen, trimming trees on property, etc. for about a year. After getting to know each other and all the things she has done to include scuba diving many years ago and asking me about all the things I have done gold prospecting, metal detecting, paratrooper (HALO also), martial arts, and civilian skydiving, etc.

After mentioning always wanted to scuba dive but never had the time or chance I figured when I retired from the Army I would do it. She has a friend who's ex-husband is a Scuba Instructor and she had gotten me a Scuba Diving Open Water Course as a Christmas present last year. Well due the winter months and me being on Active Duty and especially with the Hoax going on with limited time on the weekends working 6 days a week and places being closed it was delayed. Finally a month and a half ago I was able to start the course and finish my Open Water Certification on July 11th!

During my course I have been buying diving gear, now all is left is BCD, tank, and weights! Maybe another thicker wetsuit! Water gets a little cold at 30ft and colder deeper down!

So now that I have that accomplished I am going to do the advanced diving course, then move on to the next steps!

Now at least I can go into rivers, lakes, and wherever and find all the iPhones, jewelry, and junk that people lost or tossed! :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: Just like metal detecting, I will have to pick up other peoples trash! ?????????

Of course I want to dive in some lakes, or places where I can also find some gold under water!

If anyone around the Austin, Texas area is also an Open Water Diver, give me a shout and lets go diving!

Last edited:

controlfreq

Dec 2, 2007
There should be some good scuba clubs in and around Austin. I cannot Express enough the value of hanging out with experienced divers especially as a beginner. Ask if they're blue water or swamp divers. Blue water do trips to exotic locations, swamp divers would dive a mud puddle if it's deep enough. As a detectorist your next step is an underwater detector. Your gear is only going to get more expensive and a lot more fun.

There's some good treasure diving I'm told around Austin and S.A. too. Couple of places I'm dying to get my underwater detector in.

controlfreq

Dec 2, 2007
... once you do advanced and get some bottom time, you need to get Rescue certified. I took a NAUI cert and it was by far the most fun scuba class I've had. Very interactive skill based with searches, in water recessatation, controlling a hysterical swimmer, etc. :)

OP
OP
TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... once you do advanced and get some bottom time, you need to get Rescue certified. I took a NAUI cert and it was by far the most fun scuba class I've had. Very interactive skill based with searches, in water recessatation, controlling a hysterical swimmer, etc. :)

That's going to be one I am going to get into as well. I will be 58 in 2 weeks, so as long as my health is good I am game for new adventures!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread