What is a professional metal detectorist, do you no any

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Local court house has one :metaldetector:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Court has one what? A metal detector or a professional detectorist on the payroll?

I thought long and hard about that same question when I was younger back in the 1980's. Glad I kept at the career I'm in and tectin's still a fun hobby!

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah they have a walk threw detector then the guy "detectorist" waves his Garrett detector over ya, they always find stuff and get paid for it..... I know thats not what hes talking about:tongue3:

MKW

Feb 3, 2020
Coastal SC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 600
ML Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That dude on Oak Island.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A professional is one who goes into a place and extracts hundreds of coins with a probe.
Tap, tap, pop.....out comes the coin with no damage to ground unlike the amateurs who dig plugs for frickin' surface clad.

When the plugs get sucked up by the mower or turn yellow, looking like a mine field and the maintenance worker comes over to kick me out, I refuse to leave and tell him that I'm a professional and will not have my hobby ruined by others.

I invite them to watch me in action and soon after they leave me to my detecting.
There's several places that I'm allowed to stay and everyone else gets kicked out because I earned the right to be there based on my retrieval skill.

Probably not going to be a popular post in a sea of lesche worshippers, especially when you see it all over youtube but I'm not looking to be a detecting "celebrity."

Reminds me of the hipster with many subscribers who searches a historic river bank in Amsterdam.
He didn't find anything good but had the usual drama and crap that most nauseating videos have.
Anyway, at the end there's a snipet of a local man who had come up to him to show him this large 17th century silver coin he had found on the same river bank.
The fellow looked like he was from an old rock band like Golden Earring (gray ponytail) but wasn't on youtube or anything but has been at it for years and was up to 40 gold coins in his career.

The real professionals aren't stated as such on some stupid reality show or is a youtube personality.
They're mostly unheard of and stay quiet under the radar.

Just like a real gangster is silent. He doesn't run at the mouth telling everyone how badass he is.
Take one look at him and you know. You don't need to watch some music video with him rhyming about it.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A professional is one who goes into a place and extracts hundreds of coins with a probe.
Tap, tap, pop.....out comes the coin with no damage to ground unlike the amateurs who dig plugs for frickin' surface clad.

When the plugs get sucked up by the mower or turn yellow, looking like a mine field and the maintenance worker comes over to kick me out, I refuse to leave and tell him that I'm a professional and will not have my hobby ruined by others.

I invite them to watch me in action and soon after they leave me to my detecting.
There's several places that I'm allowed to stay and everyone else gets kicked out because I earned the right to be there based on my retrieval skill.

Probably not going to be a popular post in a sea of lesche worshippers, especially when you see it all over youtube but I'm not looking to be a detecting "celebrity."

Reminds me of the hipster with many subscribers who searches a historic river bank in Amsterdam.
He didn't find anything good but had the usual drama and crap that most nauseating videos have.
Anyway, at the end there's a snipet of a local man who had come up to him to show him this large 17th century silver coin he had found on the same river bank.
The fellow looked like he was from an old rock band like Golden Earring (gray ponytail) but wasn't on youtube or anything but has been at it for years and was up to 40 gold coins in his career.

The real professionals aren't stated as such on some stupid reality show or is a youtube personality.

Just like a real gangster is silent. He doesn't run at the mouth telling everyone how badass he is.
Take one look at him and you know. You don't need to watch some music video with him rhyming about it.

lol that is awesome...

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was always told a professional was someone who gets paid for what they do
or makes money for what you do
you paint at home and its a hobby - you start selling those paintings and get paid
to me you are a professional
ie found and sold over $100,000 in gold and silver over the yrs detecting
I consider myself a professional been doing this since 1975 age 12
I have cards though i have never taken a thing for a return - but could have
https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/6831831903/

XtreasureX

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the professional detectorist would operate under the umbrella of "treasure hunter". To get paid every "treasure hunting professional" has two or three different hustles. The true professional will be incognito and never disclose how he gets his pay. I can assure you that there is more "treasure" in the cities than in the hills. Look for a guy that operates in both arenas.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

Take one look at him and you know.
Very true words in these statements.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine is what I call a professional detectorist. Not only has he worked for companies like Compass, Garret, Whites and Tesoro he currently uses his skills as an underground Locator for construction and development sites. He gets compensated for his skills I'd say.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the professional detectorist would operate under the umbrella of "treasure hunter". To get paid every "treasure hunting professional" has two or three different hustles. The true professional will be incognito and never disclose how he gets his pay. I can assure you that there is more "treasure" in the cities than in the hills. Look for a guy that operates in both arenas.
101517774_3140771596017894_4225589740079939584_n.jpg

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Mel Fisher wasnt a professional?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The pro's that I know own metal detector dealerships, and they all hunt gold nuggets in Arizona, California, and Alaska. I supported my habit running a gold prospecting school in Congress, AZ, for over a decade. Sure there are pro's, but as stated before they tend to "blend in.":skullflag:

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Rusty.JPG
    Rusty.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • prescotminelabCT.jpg
    prescotminelabCT.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 29
  • prescotminelabRT2cu.jpg
    prescotminelabRT2cu.jpg