What is a professional metal detectorist, do you no any
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What is a professional metal detectorist, do you no any

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sales

Aug 2013
    Steel city
    Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
    569 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

What is a professional metal detectorist, do you no any

Curiosity you try to operate as a finder or recover lost items in hope of getting compensated for it. Is it possible and what form of detecting is considered such a title. Does anyone no of a professional metal detectorist and what do they do, thankyou

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2018
    6050 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Local court house has one
    I'll sleep when I'm dead

us
    Sep 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
    4353 times
    Court has one what? A metal detector or a professional detectorist on the payroll?

I thought long and hard about that same question when I was younger back in the 1980's. Glad I kept at the career I'm in and tectin's still a fun hobby!

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2018
    6050 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    yeah they have a walk threw detector then the guy "detectorist" waves his Garrett detector over ya, they always find stuff and get paid for it..... I know thats not what hes talking about
    I'll sleep when I'm dead

MKW

Feb 2020
    Coastal SC
    ML Vanquish 540
    236 times
    That dude on Oak Island.
    1637 and Ammoman like this.

ca
    Upper Fort Garry

Jul 2012
    In da bush
    Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
    1884 times
    Living for the hunt!
    A professional is one who goes into a place and extracts hundreds of coins with a probe.
    Tap, tap, pop.....out comes the coin with no damage to ground unlike the amateurs who dig plugs for frickin' surface clad.

When the plugs get sucked up by the mower or turn yellow, looking like a mine field and the maintenance worker comes over to kick me out, I refuse to leave and tell him that I'm a professional and will not have my hobby ruined by others.

I invite them to watch me in action and soon after they leave me to my detecting.
    There's several places that I'm allowed to stay and everyone else gets kicked out because I earned the right to be there based on my retrieval skill.

Probably not going to be a popular post in a sea of lesche worshippers, especially when you see it all over youtube but I'm not looking to be a detecting "celebrity."

Reminds me of the hipster with many subscribers who searches a historic river bank in Amsterdam.
    He didn't find anything good but had the usual drama and crap that most nauseating videos have.
    Anyway, at the end there's a snipet of a local man who had come up to him to show him this large 17th century silver coin he had found on the same river bank.
    The fellow looked like he was from an old rock band like Golden Earring (gray ponytail) but wasn't on youtube or anything but has been at it for years and was up to 40 gold coins in his career.

The real professionals aren't stated as such on some stupid reality show or is a youtube personality.
    They're mostly unheard of and stay quiet under the radar.

Just like a real gangster is silent. He doesn't run at the mouth telling everyone how badass he is.
    Take one look at him and you know. You don't need to watch some music video with him rhyming about it.
    Toecutter, ticndig, Keppy and 1 others like this.
    A metal detector can only do so much..........
    It's up to you to do the rest!

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2018
    6050 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddyhandz View Post
    A professional is one who goes into a place and extracts hundreds of coins with a probe.
    Tap, tap, pop.....out comes the coin with no damage to ground unlike the amateurs who dig plugs for frickin' surface clad.

When the plugs get sucked up by the mower or turn yellow, looking like a mine field and the maintenance worker comes over to kick me out, I refuse to leave and tell him that I'm a professional and will not have my hobby ruined by others.

I invite them to watch me in action and soon after they leave me to my detecting.
    There's several places that I'm allowed to stay and everyone else gets kicked out because I earned the right to be there based on my retrieval skill.

Probably not going to be a popular post in a sea of lesche worshippers, especially when you see it all over youtube but I'm not looking to be a detecting "celebrity."

Reminds me of the hipster with many subscribers who searches a historic river bank in Amsterdam.
    He didn't find anything good but had the usual drama and crap that most nauseating videos have.
    Anyway, at the end there's a snipet of a local man who had come up to him to show him this large 17th century silver coin he had found on the same river bank.
    The fellow looked like he was from an old rock band like Golden Earring (gray ponytail) but wasn't on youtube or anything but has been at it for years and was up to 40 gold coins in his career.

The real professionals aren't stated as such on some stupid reality show or is a youtube personality.

Just like a real gangster is silent. He doesn't run at the mouth telling everyone how badass he is.
    Take one look at him and you know. You don't need to watch some music video with him rhyming about it.
    lol that is awesome...
    I'll sleep when I'm dead

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    17004 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    I was always told a professional was someone who gets paid for what they do
    or makes money for what you do
    you paint at home and its a hobby - you start selling those paintings and get paid
    to me you are a professional
    ie found and sold over $100,000 in gold and silver over the yrs detecting
    I consider myself a professional been doing this since 1975 age 12
    I have cards though i have never taken a thing for a return - but could have
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/6831831903/

Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

Mar 2015
    140 times
    I believe the professional detectorist would operate under the umbrella of "treasure hunter". To get paid every "treasure hunting professional" has two or three different hustles. The true professional will be incognito and never disclose how he gets his pay. I can assure you that there is more "treasure" in the cities than in the hills. Look for a guy that operates in both arenas.

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
    2771 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET

Take one look at him and you know.
    Very true words in these statements.
    ".. Let no one know what , when , or where ..'

us
    Mar 2014
    Traveling US to work
    Current Equinox 600 Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000 Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
    1910 times
    A friend of mine is what I call a professional detectorist. Not only has he worked for companies like Compass, Garret, Whites and Tesoro he currently uses his skills as an underground Locator for construction and development sites. He gets compensated for his skills I'd say.
    Everyone Believes they have gold buried in the back yard... small wonder so few ever look for it.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    17004 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Quote Originally Posted by XtreasureX View Post
    I believe the professional detectorist would operate under the umbrella of "treasure hunter". To get paid every "treasure hunting professional" has two or three different hustles. The true professional will be incognito and never disclose how he gets his pay. I can assure you that there is more "treasure" in the cities than in the hills. Look for a guy that operates in both arenas.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101517774_3140771596017894_4225589740079939584_n.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	1850848

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    17004 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    So Mel Fisher wasnt a professional?

Charter Member
    us
    May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000 -- Equinox 600 -- Vanquish 540 -- Minelab Pro Find 35 // Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger // Bunk's Hermit Pick // Sponsored By Fort Bedford Metal Detectors
    24843 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    The pro's that I know own metal detector dealerships, and they all hunt gold nuggets in Arizona, California, and Alaska. I supported my habit running a gold prospecting school in Congress, AZ, for over a decade. Sure there are pro's, but as stated before they tend to "blend in."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	214.8 KB 
ID:	1850849   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rusty.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	1850850   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prescotminelabCT.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	542.8 KB 
ID:	1850851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prescotminelabRT2cu.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	1850852  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links