I hate yellow jackets! - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: I hate yellow jackets!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2009
    Cumberland Va
    T-2-SE
    2517 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Hey Creskol , I'm glad to hear you'll be alright. you can't catch a break can ya.
    when you get a moment research Plantain , it's a common weed that really helps with stings .
    it grows wild just about everywhere in Va.

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5302 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I've had a couple of mishaps with yellow jackets over the last few years. The worst part is they hate the sound my AT Pro makes and always sting the back of my left hand and arm! Nothing worse than multiple stings on your dominant hand! Fortunately, I'm not allergic to them, but they still hurt for days.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    30845 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Creskol, the defintion of what they said is that it is a local ALLERGIC reaction. A systemic reaction would continue with either a skin type, hives, rash, or vascular type, where throat constricts, BP drops drastically and you can literally fall over dead. Yes, most people do not die from bee stings, but 40-80 people die each year in the US from them. Many, many more are hospitalized. Many, many many many more have what you had. I had to go the hospital twice for stings. If I get stung (it's been years now), I'm super careful, I take 2 benadryl immediately.

Jun 2007
    Minnesota
    Tiger Shark, Xterra 705
    3142 times
    Not sure if your arm itches but when I get fly bites they itch/burn like crazy. Very hot compresses or soaking your arm in hot water for a few minutes will relieve the itch. Also along with the Benadryl I always take a pain killer like ibruprofen.
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it”

Thomas Jefferson

us
    Mar 2018
    Todds Point, IL
    4886 times
    Metal Detecting
    Benedryl gel for the itch. A bee suit for you for metal detecting! I hate bees. C'mon fall. Gary

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    5444 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ticndig View Post
    Hey Creskol , I'm glad to hear you'll be alright. you can't catch a break can ya.
    when you get a moment research Plantain , it's a common weed that really helps with stings .
    it grows wild just about everywhere in Va.
    this grows nearly nation wide I believe, and there is 2 varieties that I know of. I have not tried on bee stings, but works well to keep bug bites from itching

us
    Bryan

Jul 2012
    Mid-Missouri
    Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
    431 times
    Ugh! That looks bad. Did Benadryl work for ya? One heck of a Popeye arm from that stinging little bugger.
    Bryan in Mid-Missouri
    "MidMoTreasure" on Youtube

Ouch ! That is one swelled up arm. They are nothing to "blow off". A good friend of mine was stung about 10 years ago, and he died on his front porch. Took the dog out early in the morning and didn't think the bee's would be out yet, because his wife found his epi pen on the counter. He may not even have known he was stung until it was to late.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    30845 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I tried a bee suit one year after becoming allergic to bees. I used it to mow the lawn. With temps even in the low 80's, it was unbearable to wear it. Plus they are white so the bees won't "see" you and you look like Casper the Ghost out there. I finally hired someone to do the grass for me. I haven't been on a riding mower in over 10 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by MidMoTreasure View Post
    Ugh! That looks bad. Did Benadryl work for ya? One heck of a Popeye arm from that stinging little bugger.

It got me through the night, but my arm is still swollen this morning and itches like crazy! I finally put sports rub on it which burns like crazy, but I would rather have burning than itching.
    PetesPockets55 and AARC like this.
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

Charter Member
    us
    May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000 -- Equinox 600 -- Vanquish 540 -- Minelab Pro Find 35 // Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger // Bunk's Hermit Pick // Sponsored By Fort Bedford Metal Detectors
    24843 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by creskol View Post
    Thanks all.. I went to the local "doc-in-a-box" and they just gave me oral Benadryl and said it was just a local reaction. They didn't seemed to be too concerned. Guess it will eventually go away, but I haven't noticed that the Benadryl has had much effect yet.
    I recommend 75-ml of Jim Beam, every 20-minutes until you fall asleep. Feel Better!

Jun 2007
    Minnesota
    Tiger Shark, Xterra 705
    3142 times
    Quote Originally Posted by creskol View Post
    It got me through the night, but my arm is still swollen this morning and itches like crazy! I finally put sports rub on it which burns like crazy, but I would rather have burning than itching.
    Soak it in very hot water or just hold your arm under a faucet. It will itch worse for about five seconds but usually gives you a couple hours of itch free time afterwards
    Mudflap likes this.
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it”

Thomas Jefferson

Mar 2020
    732 times
    Ouch. I received four yellow jacket stings today, three in the neck and one in the ribs. I've been stung dozens of times in my life but got out of the woods asap just in case I develop a severe reaction. The stings hurt for at least an hour but fortunately no swelling. Stings like this always make me feel spacey and slightly out of it for a day. I've seen the jackets pick up activity lately and I know to keep an eye out. I started cutting a target hole not realizing I was right on top of a ground nest after peeling the forest leaf floor up.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    4339 times
    We all hate yellow jackets, they are good for nothing. At least, bees make honey, good with tea.

us
    Jul 2010
    422 times
    That wasn't an American yellow jacket sting IMO.
    creskol likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links