Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Creskol , I'm glad to hear you'll be alright. you can't catch a break can ya.
when you get a moment research Plantain , it's a common weed that really helps with stings .
it grows wild just about everywhere in Va.
f233bdf2037b8a416caab46a28b35e7c.jpg

this grows nearly nation wide I believe, and there is 2 varieties that I know of. I have not tried on bee stings, but works well to keep bug bites from itching

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ugh! That looks bad. Did Benadryl work for ya? One heck of a Popeye arm from that stinging little bugger.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch ! That is one swelled up arm. They are nothing to "blow off". A good friend of mine was stung about 10 years ago, and he died on his front porch. Took the dog out early in the morning and didn't think the bee's would be out yet, because his wife found his epi pen on the counter. He may not even have known he was stung until it was to late.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried a bee suit one year after becoming allergic to bees. I used it to mow the lawn. With temps even in the low 80's, it was unbearable to wear it. Plus they are white so the bees won't "see" you and you look like Casper the Ghost out there. I finally hired someone to do the grass for me. I haven't been on a riding mower in over 10 years now.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Ugh! That looks bad. Did Benadryl work for ya? One heck of a Popeye arm from that stinging little bugger.

It got me through the night, but my arm is still swollen this morning and itches like crazy! I finally put sports rub on it which burns like crazy, but I would rather have burning than itching.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all.. I went to the local "doc-in-a-box" and they just gave me oral Benadryl and said it was just a local reaction. They didn't seemed to be too concerned. Guess it will eventually go away, but I haven't noticed that the Benadryl has had much effect yet.

I recommend 75-ml of Jim Beam, every 20-minutes until you fall asleep. Feel Better!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It got me through the night, but my arm is still swollen this morning and itches like crazy! I finally put sports rub on it which burns like crazy, but I would rather have burning than itching.

Soak it in very hot water or just hold your arm under a faucet. It will itch worse for about five seconds but usually gives you a couple hours of itch free time afterwards

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch. I received four yellow jacket stings today, three in the neck and one in the ribs. I've been stung dozens of times in my life but got out of the woods asap just in case I develop a severe reaction. The stings hurt for at least an hour but fortunately no swelling. Stings like this always make me feel spacey and slightly out of it for a day. I've seen the jackets pick up activity lately and I know to keep an eye out. I started cutting a target hole not realizing I was right on top of a ground nest after peeling the forest leaf floor up.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all hate yellow jackets, they are good for nothing. At least, bees make honey, good with tea.

Apr 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got stung mowing the yard, those little pests! Took Tylenol, and Benadryl just on the safe side. Those wasps really did her my feelings! LOL

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch! That is one painful looking sting. Glad it's doing better.

A couple of months ago I almost walked into a large fist-sized ball of 30-40 wasp about 1" long. My hand was about 12" from pushing the branch out of my way when I saw them. That instantly sent a quick chill up my spine as I jerked away from them.
It wasn't chilly or early in the day, so I'm not sure why they were all balled up like that. Maybe they were cooling the nest since it was in the open and exposed to the sun at midday.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup...Benadryl should be in your vehicle and medicine cabinet. If not for you, for someone else.

Doctors will not prescribe an EpiPen for a localized reaction. It’s easy to say to just carry an EpiPen around with you....actually doing it while maintaining acceptable temperatures is a different matter. Lots of people carrying around EpiPens that have sat in the car in the summer (gotten over 85 deg. F) and are probably not very effective any more.

Other than Benadryl, there is not much doctors can do other than put in a endotracheal tube if your airway closes. Knowing that, my plan is to take Benadryl and sit in the parking lot of the hospital if I think I’m having a reaction. Cautiously monitor my reaction. That’s what the doctors suggested when my daughter got stung and had hives on her chest.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imaudigger. For the throat closure its an EPI Pen AND a 911 call. Epis' don't always work. I found my throat getting a little tight on a couple occasions from DENTIST visits, there is something I am allergic to in their shots. Now I take a full dose of Benadryl before I go to the dentist or for any immunization and ice water helped the throat. In an emergency do NOT count on ice water.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Benadryl will also some times make ya very sleepy too.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Benadryl has no sleepy effect on me whatsoever, but if you're out and alone, might be best to call someone to get you or call 911. My one neighbor was so bad he only could take 1 or 2 steps before he passed out from a bee sting.

I keep the epi and benadryl on me when I'm out digging. Except in January.

kray

Mar 21, 2010
SW Ct. Formerly N Va.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
E Trac
AT Pro
Nautilus 11Ba
MXT
M6
6000 DiPro
Omega
Bounty hunter TR550
Heathkit homemade
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever happened to putting a slab of steak on the sting, or using meat tenderizer. My mother in law has done this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread