Survival Tips for Treasure Hunters - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Survival Tips for Treasure Hunters

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2018
    Mountains of Western Colorado
    Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Crystal ball,Noggin
    2185 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    In Colorado if you have a fishing or hunting license and S+R has to come find you the cost is offset buy money going in to S+R fund. A helicopter ride can be expensive I personally know this so a $30.00 dollar license is good insurance.
    gunsil and Phil like this.
    The mountains have rules.They are harsh rules,but they are there,and if you keep to them you are safe.A mountain is not like men. A mountain is sincere. The weapons to conquer it exists inside you,inside your soul.

Dec 2012
    59 times
    Gunsil, "Boy Scout Water" (Lighter fluid or kerosene) and WD-40 are both highly flammable. The only difference is WD-40 comes in an aerosol can, whereas the other is put into a container that can leak and leave you with nothing to start a fire.

As for Bic lighters, I carry 6 lighters separated into three ziplock bags (2 per bag), and put each bag in different compartments in my daypack. If one fails, I have five more. If one breaks, I have five more. If I run out of fluid in one, I have five more. It two get wet, I have four more. If I lose one, I have five more. If I lose two, I have four more. They are very lightweight, do not require maintenance, and are readily available everywhere.

Are there better lighters? Absolutely! I have a junk drawer full of them, including a $100 plasma lighter that works in 100 mph winds unless the battery is dead. I also have a few zippos that ran out of lighter fluid, and one leaks. Ultimately, I chose lightweight redundancy over the other options because as I said, I can lose five cheap lighters and still start a fire. How many fires can you start if you lose your zippo? How many fires can you start if you forget to refill your zippo with lighter fluid? How many fires can a person start if the battery dies in a plasma lighter?

I have spent years running around the backcountry in all kinds of weather, as well as riding snowmobiles in the backcountry during the winter, and prefer redundancy with other critical gear such as two leatherman tools, two headlamps, spare batteries for headlamps (also separated into different ziplock bags), two cans of the small 3 ounce WD-40, two extra pairs of gloves in the winter, as well as six energy bars. It works for me.

As for East coast versus West coast, I obviously offended you, and for that I apologize. It was not my intent. Have a great day sir.
    Last edited by Phil; Jul 27, 2020 at 01:37 PM.

Jul 2020
    1 times
    Amazing advice. I like to keep a Life Straw, Mylar blanket, and a fire starter in my backpack too because they are so lightweight and don't take up much space.
    Phil likes this.

Aug 2016
    1503 times
    IM in good shape I watch Naked and afraid
    Phil likes this.

us
    The Creative Psychic

Dec 2019
    Gypsy
    *Still In research stages before purchase*
    371 times
    Metal Detecting
    What about the idea of carrying g a whistle or air horn to signal for help?
    Phil likes this.

Dec 2012
    59 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldieLocks View Post
    What about the idea of carrying g a whistle or air horn to signal for help?

I just yell BEAR and the wife screams louder than any whistle. LOL

She yells SNAKE and makes me scream louder than a girl.

It's not funny when she does it.
    Last edited by Phil; Jul 28, 2020 at 11:54 PM.

I always carry extra supplies in my truck for outings , and in case of road emergencies in the Winter. I also have day packs and a 20 year supply of emergency food in the basement in case of disaster close to home, like Tornadoes, power outages, riots, etc. There are some great suggestions on this thread.
    Phil likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    24633 times
    A friend was in trouble in the front of the boat.
    Clod rain and wind up North on a fishing trip out back of beyond.
    He said something about the cold ,and later said he didn't feel right when I asked him what was going on when he lost attention. We'd later learn he had a medical issue.
    Ran us downwind to a rock outcrop and he being a giant it was demanding getting him out of the boat.

The exertion of getting him on land helped.
    I told him to start hauling wood . At which point he looked at the forest and said what wood. (Yes , he was in the beginning stages of being too cold and his core temp getting lowered).
    I showed him a dead snag and to bring it to the outcrop.
    Again he was a giant , but at this point a weak one.
    While I was nabbing some lower spruce dead limb twigs a glance had him looking at the snag. Kick it down I told him.
    He did.
    Took him a while to haul it the short distance and I then showed him a birch and how to roll the loose bark off it stopping before it got tender/too new..

The twigs were laid on a quick crude stick lean too against the snag , and stuffed under it , with the opening upwind,towards the water. Bark under it's upwind edge against the fine twigs under the lean to..

A magnesium fireblock was in my wool jackshirt. But it was a Bic lighter used to ignite the bark. The wind drove it into the tinder and I started adding finger diameter branches from the spruce on top of the back of the leanto and hollered for more wood ,several times /whenever my friend returned with a stick. And telling him to keep moving.
    (He wanted to hug that little fire for sure...)
    When fire was assured and enough coals to keep drying more fuel I let him tend it while I went for more wood. Crutches on wet rock and thin saturated loam are a delicate act , more so dragging wood. Which is why he had been put to finding it earlier.
    With time now not an issue , all was getting more where we needed it to be.

I won't repeat what he said to me later. But he knew he was in trouble after , more than when he actually was in trouble.

In most my hunting coats is a baggie of laundry lint. Compresses compactly and paper or paper towel can be added in moderation.
    Always try to keep a tinder stash dry. And try not to use it unless a real emergency.
    Good tinder on the trail or spotted elsewhere is always worth nabbing a good sample of.

Each batch of lint needs tested as textile fibers vary. A load of cotton towels dried often yields a decent lint. Polyester melts. Lets not burn wool , but you're free to test it at your leisure. Suck experiments are valuable if they save you time later ,elsewhere ,or even never.
    I used it as a "cheat" around home instead of using up my charcloth for flint and steel fire starting.
    Those Bic lighters that are out of fuel? Still spark. (Try one testing laundry lint.) I don't tote my flint and steel kit. That was for shoots and such. I do tote that mag block. Still unused in emergency. Like a compass in the other pocket though , where my wool shirt goes ,they go. Separated from my pack (stranger things have happened) ,I've got fire and a method of wobbling a deliberate course.

Keep a new (but tested) Bic dry. And importantly in the cold , warm against a layer of fabric near your skin ,they'll often fire.
    I've recycled many flints from dead/expired Bics to use in Zippo's too.
    I smoke , but don't carry a Zippo anymore. Good lighters. But a worn hinge on multiples has had them leak fluid or fumes on my leg.
    A lid not closed tightly can cost fuel. A good squirt and a half a day or less was standard refilling. (For my use. It will vary with user.) Carrying naptha would be required. Nothing wrong with that. Just add it too the list.
    But if a Zippo fits the bill for anyone , use it! As with any firestarting system/method , have a back up.
    Follow instructions on how to care for the wick and double check it before heading out.
    I've sent a sentimental one to Pa. for hinge repair and it was stolen on the return. "Package arrived damaged" at one point. Package arrived missing contents" at another.
    Yet no one seemed to want to know at which point the lighter mysteriously disappeared.
    The post office no longer asks me how it's doing after a few communications. For some reason.......
    Phil and cyzak like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links