ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YEah I have been downsizing my backpack so it doesn't drag on the ground anymore.... was getting heavy... now its perfect...

This is me using my backpack to hold items my girl buys while shopping... AND I always have survival gear with me.

Carry it everywhere... not just in the woods. :P

OneBag-Ninja.jpg

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
YEah I have been downsizing my backpack so it doesn't drag on the ground anymore.... was getting heavy... now its perfect...

This is me using my backpack to hold items my girl buys while shopping... AND I always have survival gear with me.

Carry it everywhere... not just in the woods. :P

View attachment 1885290

Reading about some of the all the supplies one would need to go out, that pic of the backpack fills my thoughts up quite nicely.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I grew up in the woods, so I respect the woods. It's kind of strange that I carry more survival gear in the car and truck than I would if I went for a hike.
I never leave home in the vehicle without a parking blanket-summer or winter. The quilted will keep stuff warm or cool, and it's a must in both, yr round.
Winter-never less than a half tank even to the local store-go down in a ditch, a person might be there till a storm clears.

Water, a bag of salted trail mix-flashlight-first aid kit-change of footwear-HANDWARMERS X 3, mitts, gloves.
Even if I go out detecting it's a extra water and a bag of nuts and seeds. I'm known for packing my birdseed around. Nothing worse that the body starts to vibrate-everything goes south in a hurry.
Really believe in good undergarments Merino wool long sleeve/under ware from Oct.-may, the socks are worn 365 regardless. They wick away the moisture, feet feel great even in the summer-no burning sweat.
In the winter, over dress in cheap-then the sweats start as one walks, works, hikes, clothes get damp-then if you get in trouble then one finds out how fast they get uncomfortable when the inner layers are damp from sweat.
Dry clothing = the happy body.

On fishing trips my father used the old gas/oil to start many a fire. Wood matches were the only thing we had back then.
"Every good Boy Scout has these to start the fire" was the play on words, as the fire got started.
Yes we carried the starter kindling/lint/moss and it worked.

Though standing in -25F raging wind snow along a railway track in the inner desert region of the interior of BC-nothing seemed work for a starter as it was a hard go. I found the solution-the big pom-pom on the poly/combo toque I cut it off and put some twigs, sage brush, R/R tie splinters over it and presto-that sucker was an instant torch.
Just keep the mind clear/working-the body will obey most times.
Stay safe-winter is arriving soon enough.

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
I used to work at a Cabela's and I could tell by taking to a customer that was buying a GPS had no clue how to use it. Most GPS units when you get one defaults to Lat Long. Which having done 20+ years in the Army and even more years with SAR is the most useless format IMHO. UTM or MGRS is so much easier to use. LEARN how to use it! A good and fun way to get practice is by doing some geocaching in your local neighborhood.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.geocaching.com/play[/FONT]

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to work at a Cabela's and I could tell by taking to a customer that was buying a GPS had no clue how to use it. Most GPS units when you get one defaults to Lat Long. Which having done 20+ years in the Army and even more years with SAR is the most useless format IMHO. UTM or MGRS is so much easier to use. LEARN how to use it! A good and fun way to get practice is by doing some geocaching in your local neighborhood.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.geocaching.com/play[/FONT]

Now that is some excellent advice.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reading about some of the all the supplies one would need to go out, that pic of the backpack fills my thoughts up quite nicely.

Hey Pep... you do know I was joking... yes ?

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I always carry extra supplies in my truck for outings , and in case of road emergencies in the Winter. I also have day packs and a 20 year supply of emergency food in the basement in case of disaster close to home, like Tornadoes, power outages, riots, etc. There are some great suggestions on this thread.

20 year supply?
I can’t wrap my head around that.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
ffd
my comment was in reference to 20 years on the same diet
I'm sure they offer more than one flavor and consistency, but still....

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
ffd
my comment was in reference to 20 years on the same diet
I'm sure they offer more than one flavor and consistency, but still....
Ha ha, yes, I agree. There’s no way one could eat that same stuff for 20 years. I’m not sure if that’s what the OP intended, I’d assumed that they meant a 20-year shelf life. I could be wrong.

Anyhow, I’d need a large warehouse to supply my family food for 20 years.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ha ha, yes, I agree. There’s no way one could eat that same stuff for 20 years. I’m not sure if that’s what the OP intended, I’d assumed that they meant a 20-year shelf life. I could be wrong.

Anyhow, I’d need a large warehouse to supply my family food for 20 years.

Agreed one would need a very large everything. Just to put out eating the same thing-we love certain things but all the things we truly love don't have the shelf life that is required.
Salads for example not going to happen, there's going to be a 3 month gap.
Have no problem eating good soups everyday either-but for 20yrs?
Can only store so much of frozen now, 5 chest freezers, and the rotation of foods and inventory list is pages are detailed and long.
Then there's the dry goods, cold room stocks. Then again we have always bought high quality foods in case lot.
We have a food share with a few close friends, that the farms grow/share/purchase/preserve/self sufficiency is a closer to reality.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread