Detector Warehouse - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Detector Warehouse

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex
    2601 times
    Metal Detecting
    Both simplex and pro are single freq machines and thus are not suited for salt water use.

What is ? In theory, the Equinox is, being multi freq ,,, But I'd be hard pressed to recommend it [I have one of those too] because there are loads of reports of units dying after being submerged.
    Excalibur 2 comes to mind, it is at or near the top of the heap when it comes to water machines. Downside is it is expensive, have heard it doesn't do well on land because of its weight/balance. Must always use headphones as they do not disconnect.

There are others, maybe someone can jump in with some recommendations, or perhaps you need 2 detectors, one for water and one for land.
    DeepseekerADS likes this.

us
    Silver Fiend

Oct 2009
    9034 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Xraywolf View Post
    Both simplex and pro are single freq machines and thus are not suited for salt water use.

What is ? In theory, the Equinox is, being multi freq ,,, But I'd be hard pressed to recommend it [I have one of those too] because there are loads of reports of units dying after being submerged.
    Excalibur 2 comes to mind, it is at or near the top of the heap when it comes to water machines. Downside is it is expensive, have heard it doesn't do well on land because of its weight/balance. Must always use headphones as they do not disconnect.

There are others, maybe someone can jump in with some recommendations, or perhaps you need 2 detectors, one for water and one for land.

I find the change in warnings and recommendations from people to be funny. First, there are tens of thousands of EQX in use that have never had a problem. The Excal has had plenty of problems and hate thrown its way over the years. I've read from many near-full time beach hunters say that you need 2 of them because one is always going to down for repairs, but they are were the best performers, so it was worth it. Now you have the EQX being accused of the same problems. Simple answer is that when the majority are using, there are going to be more people who have problems.

Long story short, get the EQX for beach. If you are worried about flooding, then stay to knee-deep water and sand.
    eyemustdigtreasure likes this.
    You can follow me in other places.
    My Blog
    My YouTube
    My Twitter
    My Instagram
    My Facebook

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    2601 times
    Metal Detecting
    You can find it funny, I think it is anything but.
    There are lots of people with fried units, including right here. My cousins fried out after the 1st outing in the water. Calabash reported no less than 3 fried units right here. My 3 RD Equinox bites the dust.....
    Surely thats not funny, or at least wouldn't be funny if it happened to you.
    Also, I suspect that many users who have a problem don't necessarily report them on forums, only minelab knows how many fried units they fixed or replaced. And/or, many users don't necessarily dunk them. Me for example, I have an 800 but its never been in the water and perhaps never will be. Thats fine, I don't live near salt water and I like the AT - But if the nox was up to snuff, I would have eventually sold the AT, now thats not an option. It claimed waterproof was a factor in my purchase, as it is for most. When comparisons are made with the nox to the coming Apex, people say "oh but look, the Apex is not waterproof !" IMO, neither is the nox.
    You seem to imply that all these reports is just chatter, gossip, and should not be brought to the attention of prospective buyers. I think just the opposite, people should know. And if they only intend to hunt on land, not a factor. If they are going to dunk them, very big factor. I would have never got mine if there were this many reports last year because I water hunt quite a bit, and am not content with going only knee deep to be on the safe side..

Yes the Ex2 has had problems, I would say they are minimal compared to the nox ,, Then again, the nox user base is substantially larger so its tough to quantify these things, but that doesn't stop people from making recommendations or giving advice based on what info is available. Want to get a nox and water hunt with it on a regular basis ? Then I got 1 question - Do you feel lucky ? [Well, do ya ?]
    Last edited by Xraywolf; Jul 26, 2020 at 10:53 AM.
    DeepseekerADS likes this.

us
    Silver Fiend

Oct 2009
    9034 times
    .... Want to get a nox and water hunt with it on a regular basis ? Then I got 1 question - Do you feel lucky ? [Well, do ya ?]
    Punk. I cant believe you left out the best part of the quote!

You seem to be mis-interpretting my post. I'm not saying "its funny when a detector fails". I'm saying its funny how every new detector has problems and people immediate say how great the last model was, even though the old model had problems and suffered the same accusations. It's not a knock on users, its a comment on human perceptions.
    My Blog
    My YouTube
    My Twitter
    My Instagram
    My Facebook

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    2601 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    Punk. I cant believe you left out the best part of the quote!

You seem to be mis-interpretting my post. I'm not saying "its funny when a detector fails". I'm saying its funny how every new detector has problems and people immediate say how great the last model was, even though the old model had problems and suffered the same accusations. It's not a knock on users, its a comment on human perceptions.
    Well people can take things the wrong way on forums, thought calling you a punk might set you off, would be just my luck to run into someone who never heard the quote.

Point taken, I know you are not literally laughing out loud about people with fried units. Fact remains, for a number of reasons, nox seems to have an exceptionally large share of water bricked units, I personally think that minelabs claim to this machine being waterproof should be legally challenged. AFAIK, there are defined standards to be adhered to when making that claim about a product, though of course no product is infallible.

us
    Oct 2018
    Mercer County, PA
    Ace 400
    177 times

I don't think I'll go for a multi frequency or pulse detector. Those seem very expensive. I don't plan on doing extensive salt hunting. The AT PRO marketing material implies that it works in salt. I'm just wondering how true that is.

us
    Silver Fiend

Oct 2009
    9034 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EnvoyToTheMolePeople View Post
    I don't think I'll go for a multi frequency or pulse detector. Those seem very expensive. I don't plan on doing extensive salt hunting. The AT PRO marketing material implies that it works in salt. I'm just wondering how true that is.
    HAHAHA! Thats funny. Want to know how it works in salt? Just take it right out there into that salty, wet sand. When the detector starts going crazy, turn down the sensitivity. Then keep turning, then turn it some more. Eventually that single freq will calm down but you've now lost the ability to detect 99% of what you pass over.
    My Blog
    My YouTube
    My Twitter
    My Instagram
    My Facebook

us
    Oct 2018
    Mercer County, PA
    Ace 400
    177 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    HAHAHA! Thats funny. Want to know how it works in salt? Just take it right out there into that salty, wet sand. When the detector starts going crazy, turn down the sensitivity. Then keep turning, then turn it some more. Eventually that single freq will calm down but you've now lost the ability to detect 99% of what you pass over.
    Ah, yes. Technically working is the best kind of working. At least, it is in the advertising world.

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5302 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I rarely detect beaches, but I never have issues with wet sand. The issue for me is the dry sand. That's when I have to turn down the sensitivity on my AT Pro. Beach detecting bores the heck out of me, so it's really a moot point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links