OP
EnvoyToTheMolePeople
Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both simplex and pro are single freq machines and thus are not suited for salt water use.

What is ? In theory, the Equinox is, being multi freq ,,, But I'd be hard pressed to recommend it [I have one of those too] because there are loads of reports of units dying after being submerged.
Excalibur 2 comes to mind, it is at or near the top of the heap when it comes to water machines. Downside is it is expensive, have heard it doesn't do well on land because of its weight/balance. Must always use headphones as they do not disconnect.

There are others, maybe someone can jump in with some recommendations, or perhaps you need 2 detectors, one for water and one for land.

I don't think I'll go for a multi frequency or pulse detector. Those seem very expensive. I don't plan on doing extensive salt hunting. The AT PRO marketing material implies that it works in salt. I'm just wondering how true that is.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I'll go for a multi frequency or pulse detector. Those seem very expensive. I don't plan on doing extensive salt hunting. The AT PRO marketing material implies that it works in salt. I'm just wondering how true that is.

HAHAHA! Thats funny. Want to know how it works in salt? Just take it right out there into that salty, wet sand. When the detector starts going crazy, turn down the sensitivity. Then keep turning, then turn it some more. Eventually that single freq will calm down but you've now lost the ability to detect 99% of what you pass over.

OP
OP
EnvoyToTheMolePeople
Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAHAHA! Thats funny. Want to know how it works in salt? Just take it right out there into that salty, wet sand. When the detector starts going crazy, turn down the sensitivity. Then keep turning, then turn it some more. Eventually that single freq will calm down but you've now lost the ability to detect 99% of what you pass over.

Ah, yes. Technically working is the best kind of working. At least, it is in the advertising world.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rarely detect beaches, but I never have issues with wet sand. The issue for me is the dry sand. That's when I have to turn down the sensitivity on my AT Pro. Beach detecting bores the heck out of me, so it's really a moot point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions