Umbrahabitator

Jun 7, 2020
Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello,

I previously posted this watch-fob to What Is It and had it ID'd, I then posted it to What's It Worth. From what I have found, and been provided by the helpful members of this forum:icon_thumleft: ; I believe this is from the very early years of the Anchor Buggy Co. from Cincinnati Ohio. From what I understand, they were founded in 1886 and soon after became the Lion Anchor Buggy Company. Furthermore, according to what I have read, they were essentially the Ford of buggys and were the largest manufacturer of their time.

Now to the point; I contacted the Cincinnati Ohio Museum for information and they want me to mail it to them for their collection. I know what Indiana Jones would say, but should I send it in?
20200724_121044.jpg 20200724_121033.jpg 20200724_121024.jpg

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/637800-anchor-buggy-co.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what-s-worth/637853-anchor-buggy-co-worth.html

Thank you

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that's up to you. If it has no value to you and you think they will display it..might be a good idea.

My dad donated some items to the local museum and never saw the items displayed.
Who knows where they went?

Museums will sell items to generate operating funds. Of course they would be interested in any and all free sellable items.

OP
OP
Umbrahabitator

Umbrahabitator

Jun 7, 2020
Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well that's up to you. If it has no value to you and you think they will display it..might be a good idea.

My dad donated some items to the local museum and never saw the items displayed.
Who knows where they went?

Museums will sell items to generate operating funds. Of course they would be interested in any and all free sellable items.

That is what I am afraid of, what is the point in donating it if it is never going to be displayed or is just going to be sold off? Is there any way I can donate an item with the condition that it may not be sold and must be displayed?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'd send it to the museum with all the history you can find. In return, and assuming they are a 501(c) (3) non profit organization, I'd ask them to give you an appraisal of the item and a proper "501' receipt; as evedence for a tax deduction.
Don.......

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what I am afraid of, what is the point in donating it if it is never going to be displayed or is just going to be sold off? Is there any way I can donate an item with the condition that it may not be sold and must be displayed?

LOL, If you could, it would be one the few. Most museums wont take donations, period. If they do, you have to sign away all future rights to it. Its not the Hope diamond, and accepting things like this with any "conditions" is nothing but a headache and legal nightmare for them.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No, once they own it it is theirs to do what they wish with it. Like IMAUDIGGER says most museums sell things for operating expenses. I used to buy fine arrowheads in the American Museum of Natural History in NYC gift shop, one of largest museums in the country. Somebody had donated all the artifacts they had for sale, I'm sure they would never have thought the items would be sold off. A local friend's aunt donated a nice civil war Colt in original holster to the local historical society museum and when I went there five years later it was on display but all rusty and the leather was falling apart. When I asked why it was in much worse shape than when they got it they told me they had nobody there who knew how to maintain such things. Decision is yours, but I would never donate to a museum. Sell to a museum, but not donate.

mikefromIllinois

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2008
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D
I have items on loan to our historical society in my town. They filled out a form of what I loaned, they have a copy and so do I, in case I want them back.

OP
OP
Umbrahabitator

Umbrahabitator

Jun 7, 2020
Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for the help, if I decide to send it in then it will be on loan if I can. The situations presented by gunsil were something I never thought a museum would do but I guess they are human and like money too. I wonder... is Indiana Jones the bad guy, stealing treasure so it can be sold off by the museum:icon_scratch:? The idea to donate it as a tax-deductible or sell it are good ideas and will be considered if they won't accept it as a loan. I will update if anything interesting happens with the museum.

Thank you for all the help

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take a ride if you can and see them in person - type up an agreement tp put on loan and they will return if they stop displaying
i loaned a large display of stuff to maritime museum for like 2 1/2 yrs - then they got a huge maritime collection from guy
who died and needed my space and they had me pick it up
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sending it in, is a personal decision. But I would add to that, only send it in, if you are prepared to never see it again. Like others here have said, once its in their hands it belongs to them unless there is a legal agreement drawn up, and unless you have an attorney in your family, I don't think the price for the paperwork would be worth it. I would enjoy looking at it in my own display case.

OP
OP
Umbrahabitator

Umbrahabitator

Jun 7, 2020
Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good news, it will not be in a museum anytime soon. The property owner would like the item in a shadow box and displayed locally with other items I have found. Even better, he is trusted and made it clear the item is mine to do what I wish with if I don't want it in the shadow box. Thank you for all the help and input, it and my other treasures will likely not be going to museums.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice display Casper! :occasion14:

Over the years I've donated Ryker cases full of nice relics and coins to museums, local Granges, Historical societies and interested individuals. I figure if someone will see it, enjoy it and appreciate the artifacts, why not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions