Does wet ground for example after rain effect actual coil reads vs dry land

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all heard stories, the fish bite better in the rain, metal detecting what’s the true outcome of this particular question, not mineralization to speak but the ground being wet from rain. I’m no geological or expert of ground saturation making detecting a positive or negative, can anyone answer with confidence, thankyou

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seem to have better luck when the ground is a little damp, vs bone dry. Not to mention it's easier to dig. Just me.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things work in mysterious ways, nobody’s an expert obviously but anyone ever did studies on the ground moisture vs dryer conditions. Thanks for your opinion a lot of people had this same question I’m sure

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sir, it makes the soil more conductive, you get more depth.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely. Also, having dug in all types of weather if you have decent moisture (not sopping wet) in the ground AND the temps drop and there is some frost in the ground it makes it even better. I have long noticed this phenominum.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I have always leaned toward wet being better even from the stand point of easier digging. Has anyone actually done testing on this?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As in test garden, no, those things are useless. But in real life, hunting the same 3' x 3' grid on an abandoned CW hut, the answer is yes. When its dry you would get just chirps and burps. When things are wetter, you would get a few solid targets, and the targets proved to be a minie ball and eagle button. On another trip back to the same little spot, I then recovered two more minies and three buttons and 3 percussion caps, that was when the ground was about 33 degrees on top. There were a lot of nails in the spot and I kept going over and over and over it again. I have noticed this on three different manufacturers' machines which I have used. Frequency didn't matter much, including multi frequency, just ground conditions.

snakejim

Dec 18, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer, White's GM3, GMT, GM24K, White's Pulse scan TDI, Sierra Pulse Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We all heard stories, the fish bite better in the rain, metal detecting what’s the true outcome of this particular question, not mineralization to speak but the ground being wet from rain. I’m no geological or expert of ground saturation making detecting a positive or negative, can anyone answer with confidence, thankyou

I have found that it depends where and what you are hunting and if you are using a VLF or PI detector. In a high mineral area where you are hunting gold nuggets, a vlf does better and goes deeper the dryer the ground is. But, a PI seems to go deeper on gold nuggets when the ground is damp or wet; as the pulse ignores the minerals better. In a park or other place of low minerals hunting coins with a VLF, the depth seems to be better when the ground is damp. Hope this helps.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is going to sound a little off the wall but I feel I have better luck after an electrical storm and also during a full moon.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I find that my detectors always go deeper in wet ground and it does not matter what brand i am using.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find that my detectors always go deeper in wet ground and it does not matter what brand i am using.

My buddy and I worked an area near an old fur trade site. We where pulling out flat buttons and rings from amazing depth. The soil was sweet black loam and water saturated from spring snow melt. The soil was so wet that some holes started to fill up with water soon after opening. He was using a Tesoro Vaquero and I had a Tejon. I saw this kind of depth in the same area with wet soil several times, with our machines tweaked out to the max. I believe you Keppy.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always get deeper when it's wet. Hold on, wait a minute, are we talking about.. never mind.:headbang:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found my detector gets a deeper signal when its wet.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Moist or wet ground is more conductive. You metal detector will "see" deeper. Usually the signals are clearer. With all this said, soil conditions do play a role.:icon_thumleft:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to be better when wet with AT Pro here. Our soil is sandy and mostly dry to swamp wet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread