Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just wondering if anyone has had any luck hunting vineyards, I think I might have a few sites in mind that are currently vineyards (but had old houses, schools, etc.) but I wonder if there might be a crap ton of iron laying around from wires of the trellis/fence and I thought I might as well see if anyone else hunts these type sites before I actually head out there. Happy hunting.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just don't see them being into people digging there. You'd have to know someone on the inside ( or just be more charming than most). Often they have irrigation and metal in the ground. I've wondered about it myself . Could be worth a wine tour to find out.

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just don't see them being into people digging there. You'd have to know someone on the inside ( or just be more charming than most). Often they have irrigation and metal in the ground. I've wondered about it myself . Could be worth a wine tour to find out.

Oh, yeah. That's true, I forgot about the irrigation stuff. I do know a few people though...

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know guys that have killed it in old orchards - specially if you can find one that goes back to colonial times
usually the whole town worked it

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My oldest coin was found in a vineyard. Lots of folks have to work them so chances are good that coins & relics were dropped from years past. Good luck.

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i know guys that have killed it in old orchards - specially if you can find one that goes back to colonial times
usually the whole town worked it

Speaking of orchards... that's just about all I have hunted for the past month or so! Mine was not an orchard then but it had a house and tavern on it since early 1800s-ish. Unfortunately the earth by the tavern has been disturbed. I'll have to see if I can find an orchard or something like that that dates back pretty far.

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya know! I just thought of something, I literally live on top of an old vineyard... it's all woods now but the little hills are still mostly visible. From historic aerials I can see the vines on photos from 50s to 70s and I know the property goes back earlier at least to 1870s. I wonder how old the vineyards might have been. I tried hunting it with my old bh quicksilver but didn't find much and I haven't tried it since. I feel like such an idiot for forgetting I live on a vineyard lol.

Last edited:

Bible

Jan 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always wondered myself, was raised in Napa, California and remeber seeing the older mansions with vineyards for miles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions