Was it common for large cents to have a hole in them

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never found one with a hole in it. Older coppers (KG II) and Spanish silver seem more likely to have holes in them, at least around here. I think the custom comes from wearing them as jewelry like the native Americans wore wampum.

40 Rounds

Nov 26, 2016
Iowa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO, EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Holed" coins are fairly common. Folks did wear them and keep them on lengths of string to prevent losing them. If the hole is crisp and not rounded it was probably lost soon after it was holed and saw no further circulation. Either way cool find. Congrats

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've had old timers tell me that people often used large cents like a gromet to nail stuff down because the "india rubber" gromets were more than 1 cent. And cut nails were more squared. I've found a few before holed in the middle but if at top probably a necklace.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found several at an early 1700s church with a slate roof. I showed them to the minister and he said there were many used as washers to hold the slates to the roof and when some repairs were done the workers saw many of them still in place from the 1700s. I found another few at standing colonial homes with slate roofs also. They are likely used as other washers. 40 rounds, nobody wore coins with center holes, they don't hang well and nobody was destroying coins to put them on a string to not lose them. If the coins had been used as jewelry they are holed near an edge so they hang or dangle properly.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
One cent coins were not always worthless as they are today. I doubt they were used as washers or targets or buttons back in the day.

g

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One cent coins were not always worthless as they are today. I doubt they were used as washers or targets or buttons back in the day.

g

The ones I found were well worn KG 11s and 111s, and they DEFINITELY came from the slate roof where they were used as copper washers. According to the minister there are still some up there where repairs have not been necessary. Look up slate roofing, all slate roofs use soft copper washers to hold slates in place. Worn smooth or almost smooth coins were not full weight and not accepted as full value, and used as slate washers for sure. I am also sure the worn down coppers were used as washers for other uses also.

Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I deer hunted in So. IN. we nailed a brand new penny to the tree we picked for our stand. Anyone coming along later would know someone "claimed" that particular tree with the coin. Gary

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The ones I found were well worn KG 11s and 111s, and they DEFINITELY came from the slate roof where they were used as copper washers. According to the minister there are still some up there where repairs have not been necessary. Look up slate roofing, all slate roofs use soft copper washers to hold slates in place. Worn smooth or almost smooth coins were not full weight and not accepted as full value, and used as slate washers for sure. I am also sure the worn down coppers were used as washers for other uses also.

This is consistient with what I was told about large cents being used as "gromets" on roofs coz gromets were more than one cent

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've dug I think 10 big coppers in the past year and only two of them had any sort of hole. The first was a KWIV from 1834 that had one round hole near the top and the second was half of a vicky that was used as a washer or something. None of the largies had holes.

Last edited:

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

g
IMG_2324.JPG

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
fisfulladirt had a good point. Two that I've found are holed and I believe were nailed to the door or somewhere else on a house site. I've read that was done

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, "Holed" coins from the 1800's or earlier are fairly common.

An example - I've found (31) Large Cents - (7) of them have been Holed.
It was a common practice to put a hole in coins with a nail (often with old square nails) or other pointed object.
Then the coins were put on a string or wire and worn inside clothes to protect against loss or theft.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

g

they absolutely were used as washers, think of a time where going to the store to grab a washer would have been a half day affair.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do believe that one cent coins could have been used as washers and for other repairs when needed.
But as already mentioned - there was a time when One Cent had a real value.
That's why they made Half Cents.
If you lost a Silver Dollar in the year 1900 - it would be equal to loosing $21.00 today.

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just happens to be today,found a 1844 large cent and a little small square hole punch In the middle. I read many things offering clothes didn’t have pockets so they wore around neck not to lose, and also used as we do today as copper bracelets for medical reasons, anyone care to offer the opinion thanks.
Some times they punched a hole in the center to use like a washer to nail slate shingles down. i had a friend that when they replaced his slate roof there was over 100 nailed up there

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nope, never found a colonial copper with a hole and I've found my share. I wonder if wearing them on a string etc. was just in certain locales or people fixing to not lose them? I've seen plenty on Forums.
Lucky for us - still they got lost. One thing I've realized, because of their basic coloring - once they hit the dirt, they were not easy to see or find. Russian 2 Kopecks is not a found coin. I did find one in a corn field and was quite amazed by that - in typical condition for a copper lost for 200 years. How did it get there? The mysteries of MD'ing.

Attachments

• B460.jpg
    B460.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 16
  • Russia 2 Kopeks 1812 obverse sample.jpg
    Russia 2 Kopeks 1812 obverse sample.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 20

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread