Walmart Security really rude!

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
bowwinkles , you referred to an "open carry permit" in your post. Explain what an open carry permit is where you reside. In my area you don't need a permit to open carry just conceal carry.

How many years of law enforcement experience you have is not a long answer, it's a number. So that answer should be short and easy. I did 25 years 3 days and 6 hours. See that was easy.

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Open carry turns into man with a gun calls. How many of you guys been sent to one of those? Too many guns out there as it is. No need to walk around with one on your hip in front of little old ladies and kids. Tuck it under shirt.

You pro guns guys seen half of what I seen and done and I am sure you would think differently.
Back when I was on the job we could open carry with our badge displayed in the jurisdictions where we were commissioned. I held city, county, state and federal commissions, so I guess I could pretty much carry anywhere out in the open but never did. All you open carry guys remember, you get in a confrontation, there will be a gun involved and it will be yours.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't get the open carry thing unless one is in the wilderness. I totally understand & agree with CC. Why would anyone want to advertise they are armed? Maybe I'm missing something.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't get the open carry thing unless one is in the wilderness. I totally understand & agree with CC. Why would anyone want to advertise they are armed? Maybe I'm missing something.

Keeping in mind that laws vary by locale , and that laws change ....There are areas you cannot carry concealed without a permit or license to do so.
IF the locale you are in allows concealed carry. AND you meet the requirements to carry concealed. You can research your area , what is required . And how long it will take you. Then consider someone wanting to be armed in the meantime. (Meaning open carry is your only legal option in certain places if concealed is not legal. Or if you do not qualify for concealed.)
An example here is a hunter asking the D.N.R. if he could cover his handgun (with no license , formerly called a permit before this state became a shall issue state for those legal citizens who jump through the right hoops and pay money in addition to mandated training. And at the time the state did not issue permits to "average citizens) in rain or snow. And the answer being that would be a violation of law.
Hunters today don't need a license. Depending on what they are doing. But if they visit a gas station on the way to hunting or a range , what are the laws governing handgun possession?

In addition , there are zones you cannot carry concealed even with a license , but can open carry. Unfortunately demonstrating such has increased conflict of perception. Despite the legality.

The mishmash of laws across the country are a patchwork quilt of regulations. With regulations at the Federal level as well to add.
Which law prevails , Federal or state?
When traveling , what states law is in effect , that in which a citizen was issued a permit or licence ? Or the location/state that citizen is in?
Is passing through a state armed different than being a resident of that state? What should a citizen do if finding out the state they are passing through does not allow what the state they left or are approaching allows/ has for laws?

Far more than open carry is involved.
If it's uncomfortable for non gun folks to see an open carry...Try carrying (concealed or not) while slaloming the changing regulations by day and region.
Citizens carrying legally often know well the law and potential civil legal contests involved. Let alone should a gun be touched or heaven forbid used in public...

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I am not mistaken you are required to notify that you are carrying when you are pulled over. If you are legal you have no problems.

Depends on the state, in Florida your not required to say you have a weapon unless asked. someone wants to report me let them report me. In Florida open carry is only allowed if traveling to and from hunting, fishing, camping, gun shows and target shooting. Before it was made illegal in Florida I open carried often.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I am not mistaken you are required to notify that you are carrying when you are pulled over. If you are legal you have no problems.

Depends on the state and county ordinances. Here in NY (believe it or not!) you are not obligated to divulge. BUT, we are registered with the Sheriff and State Police so if they run your plate before approaching they know you might be. I have been stopped twice and both times I kept my hands on the wheel and politely complied (and I know that "STOP" means stop so it's never a problem). In one case I was about 10 mph over the limit and the officer asked if I was carrying a concealed handgun and I said "yes". At that time I had a "Traditional Bowhunting" sticker on my rear window and he asked "Are you a traditional bowhunter?" I said "yes." He didn't even ask to see my permit or drivers license and said "have a nice day". And I did.

The second time (I was about 5 mph over the speed limit) the officer checked my drivers license and concealed carry permit (never asked me to exit the car) and sent me on my way to "be more careful". I think they recognize and actually like the folks who have a clean enough background and go through the hoops to legally carry. At least our local officers do. It ain't easy in NY State. You have to prove you're not a thug.

Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bowwinkles , you referred to an "open carry permit" in your post. Explain what an open carry permit is where you reside. In my area you don't need a permit to open carry just conceal carry.

How many years of law enforcement experience you have is not a long answer, it's a number. So that answer should be short and easy. I did 25 years 3 days and 6 hours. See that was easy.

This is not short but very easy::::
https://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-laws/state-law/50-state-summaries/open-carry-state-by-state/

There is also an event coming in the near future that may very well alter our current "2nd A privileges". Lets hope that event does not remove our current and historical privileges.

Jon, dwelling on the past (25 years + 3 days 6 hours) may be a means of extending a conversation. That process needs to be changed to dwelling on the future duty's where the rules we are presently enjoying are to remain fixed and not changed.

Well Jon "thank you for your service" and the number I wish to give to you is also followed by a few letters 2nd AMENDMENT is that short enough???

Last edited:

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CT is an open carry state. Meaning it's actually an either/or state. I usually conceal, but not always. My son usually open.
I asked a local cop if they wanted to know on a routine traffic stop. He said No. If they are told, then they have to have you step out of car, check weapon, etc. I don't know if he spoke for the entire dept. or just personally.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monday Afternoon, a very long line outside, people waiting to get in because of the sales. Not for me.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CT is an open carry state. Meaning it's actually an either/or state. I usually conceal, but not always. My son usually open.
I asked a local cop if they wanted to know on a routine traffic stop. He said No. If they are told, then they have to have you step out of car, check weapon, etc. I don't know if he spoke for the entire dept. or just personally.
Also from Connecticut. Do you want to find out?

OP
OP
GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I understand WM has a high rate of theft, like 10%. They like to check bags. If a customer complies, it’s legal.

One day when I was exciting I heard the door guy boasting about his right to go through anyone's bags they wish.

OP
OP
GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think their security get a high off of harassing customers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread