Clad Coins Before And After Cleaning

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_0778.JPG IMG_0779.JPG Just wanted to post a pic of what clad coins look like before and after cleaning. These were coins from my most recent hunt.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look really good but just so you know, they will go through any coin counting machine and of course can be spent without cleaning. All you need to do is wash off the dirt.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good. I do the same thing. It really bothers me to hand people tarnished coins.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They look great, what is your method you used to clean those???

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been saving every coin, to give my granddaughter when she turns 16. I’d like to clean them. What’s your method?

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They look really good but just so you know, they will go through any coin counting machine and of course can be spent without cleaning. All you need to do is wash off the dirt.
Thank Susan....I'm well aware that most would go through a counting machine BUT if the machine stops for any reason and a teller has to come over and unjam the machine they see what kind of coins you're running through it. It's happened to me a few times when the machine had a bag filled to capacity. And yes, you can spend them without cleaning BUT.....I prefer to not do that.

Looks good. I do the same thing. It really bothers me to hand people tarnished coins.
Thanks Flinthunter......I'm the same way, I don't like to hand rusty, corroded looking coins to anyone.

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They look great, what is your method you used to clean those???

They look great. How did you clean them?

I’ve been saving every coin, to give my granddaughter when she turns 16. I’d like to clean them. What’s your method?

First step is tumble the coins in water, some dish soap, and aquarium gravel for about 45 minutes to get the dirt off. Then I put the coins in a plastic bottle with some liquid bowl cleaner....just enough to cover the coins, and shake for 2-3 minutes. Final step is tumble again in the water, soap, and gravel for ninety minutes. Might sound like a lot of work but it really isn't.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Have you tried tumbling just the coins with lemon juice and salt for about 40 minutes? I fill a barrel about half full with just coins, no gravel.
Then, I might need to polish them with some soap and gravel as they tend to get a white etching look. Also, I use free gravel. No need to buy it.

Your coins look great and are ready to be in circulation for decades.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Turned out nice.

But, FYI, US Nickels aren't clad. Its a copper/nickel alloy.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What year is the Lincoln Memorial can’t be zinc it way to pretty. Thanx for sharing.

No, the Lincoln isn't zinc.......it was a 1977

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried tumbling just the coins with lemon juice and salt for about 40 minutes? I fill a barrel about half full with just coins, no gravel.
Then, I might need to polish them with some soap and gravel as they tend to get a white etching look. Also, I use free gravel. No need to buy it.

Gosh dang! How many coins do you find that it takes a barrel to tumble them!? :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I used to do salt and vinegar but a couple of years ago I switched to bowl cleaner. The gravel I bought only cost a couple of bucks so no big deal there.

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Turned out nice.

But, FYI, US Nickels aren't clad. Its a copper/nickel alloy.

I know they aren't "clad" in the true definition of what a clad coin is but most everyone, including me, lumps the nickels in with all the others when talking about the coins currently being minted.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not me. I'm a nickle "snob" and find lots because most who have hunted the parks and fairgrounds before me don't appreciate the "34 of 99" TDI target a nickel presents and don't bother to sort through the trash metal to find them.

Attachments

• 62C74C40-9B73-4AD7-8B1D-73C6CC016785_1_105_c.jpeg
    62C74C40-9B73-4AD7-8B1D-73C6CC016785_1_105_c.jpeg
    32.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done, congrats! :occasion14:

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aren't there less aggressive ways to get the crud off? Jewelry cleaner?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While all y’all be cleaning coins, I’m spending dirty dug up clad like a boss.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread