Bought My First Handheld GPS

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For my 60th birthday yesterday I bought myself a detecting present: a Garmin Montana 700 with 5" touch screen. Now when someone tells me to get lost I reply not likely. I can't get Sierra Nevada lost where I live but I can get uncomfortably lost. I took it into the field today and although I didn't have to consult it for directions it gave me a sense of confidence. I like how it tracks me when I turn it on and at the end of the hunt I know how far I've gone. For example, today I hiked and hunted 6 miles into the woods and back in hill and ravine country. My cell phone doesn't get reception in these woods. I don't grid my search areas. I like to randomly walk over an area from several different directions with generous overlap. It's interesting to see where my path actually covered plus I like recording waypoints.

The downside: Garmin does not make any kind of screen protection, carrying case, holster, or way to protect this fairly large device which cost me $650 delivered to my door. And neither does any third party as of yet. For me this is unbelievably foolish of the company. I would buy a lanyard, case, belt clip, and screen protector if they sold them. It would be pretty ridiculous to lose your GPS in the woods or crush that big screen. But I am enjoying the large screen and detail of the Birdseye satellite images and topo maps. I'm also hoping it doesn't generate interference for my Nox 800. At times it sounded like it was playing carnival music today and I am hoping that was from ground mineralization.

tres141.jpg

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Eastender, do an eBay search and I think you will see all sorts of accessories including custom screen protector made of glass.
I recently got a Garmin Oregon 700 which is just a smaller version of the Montana and I added NE Topo map card and rigged up bicycle ball and socket clamp to fit it in my finds pouch. Also bought glass screen protector and extra recharging battery )that charges while in). I don’t go miles in but my woods - which had habitation beginning in1700 or so are loaded with hills and ravines and although getting truly lost is unlikely you could easily run yourself to exhaustion finding your way out, so the gps is essential and let’s me roam around letting my instincts and the detector pave the way, confidant that when I’m tired and want out the compass will lead my out quickly. Cost as much as a detector but worth every penny. Expanded my range and access to new sites. Good luck with yours.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Congratulations.

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input and wishes. This unit is 7 1/4" long by 3 1/2" wide by 1 1/4" thick, bigger than the Oregon accessories. The email reply from Garmin when I wrote to them yesterday was:

"At this time we do not currently have any cases or screen protectors for the Montana 700 units. You can typically find third party cases and screen protectors for our devices on Amazon. With this unit being so new I have not seen any available there yet, but that is where I would keep an eye out. I know that these devices are a big investment and important to keep them protected, but I apologize we do not have any of these accessories at this time."

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I only have a chrome book and to make use of the free Birds eye satellite I’d need to have a windows laptop with Garmin Basecamp installed. Maybe this winter I can get into that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread