Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all the rain we've had this summer the mushrooms are doing very well in my forest.
I went out today and picked some Black Trumpets ,many small ones to be picked in the days to come. 20200826_152549.jpg
way better than bland store bought Mushrooms.

Do any of you forage for wild edibles ? it's a great hobby to go along with relic hunting .

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do, but only ones where there’s no chance that I could mis-identify the species. I don’t want to be in line for a liver transplant so I stick with morels, chanterelles, and chicken of the woods.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
ticndig

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are all great easy to identify mushrooms Kantuckeean, look into the black trumpet , nothing else looks anything like it and they taste great. but they are hard to find as they blend into the forest floor so well. look for areas with oaks and moss .
Man I hear ya about the heath risk and stick to the ones you've listed . I just found a few hundred Chanterelles but they're too small still to pick.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes I love looking for mushrooms, and we have all sorts of wild leeks/ramps. Unfortunately it has been super dry this year, like drought status, and none of the chanterelles grew on my land.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy picking Morels, Pheasant Backs (Hawks wings) and Hen of the woods (Sheeps head) mushrooms. On the fruit side, I pick wild Mulberries and Blackberries.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my mushrooms processed through the stomachs of deer, turkeys and squirrels.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I hunt the King Bolete, Matsutake and Chanterelle mushrooms out here in the northwest. Truly a treasure all their own.

Mike

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is this thing you call “rain”?

I like eating morels but don’t have much luck finding them.

OP
OP
ticndig

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's one of the wettest August on record for Va . and the mushrooms are popping. . you guy's mention some I've never found but always on the look out as I swing the detector. I stick to the mushrooms that are very easy to identify ,I'm not ready to die and be shroom food just yet.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pick around 20 different mushrooms, some for the pleasure of eating and some for their medicinal value. It's about time for an explosion of Shaggy Manes to pop up just across the road from me. Yum!

OP
OP
ticndig

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man that sounds good, I'm only up to 5 types so far , sticking with the easy ones . If only I had the knowledge of the American Indians that once roamed this land , everything a man needs is eat well and be well is right under our feet.

Shoesnsocks

Feb 22, 2020
Placer county, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all the rain we've had this summer the mushrooms are doing very well in my forest.
I went out today and picked some Black Trumpets ,many small ones to be picked in the days to come. View attachment 1859071
way better than bland store bought Mushrooms.

Do any of you forage for wild edibles ? it's a great hobby to go along with relic hunting .

Good job! I haven't found any of these here on the west coast yet but hopefully this year I will get the chance. When it gets too wet to go prospecting then I'll be transitioning to mushroom hunting. Actually found some chicken of the woods the other day while out prospecting. Too bad they were just barely a little too old.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200823_080941.jpg
    MVIMG_20200823_080941.jpg
    733.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
OP
OP
ticndig

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the chicken of the woods is what I was looking for when I found the trumpets . I have to stop and look about to see them , if walking I miss them most of the time as they blend in real well. good luck on your hunts.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job! I haven't found any of these here on the west coast yet but hopefully this year I will get the chance. When it gets too wet to go prospecting then I'll be transitioning to mushroom hunting. Actually found some chicken of the woods the other day while out prospecting. Too bad they were just barely a little too old.

Actually the outter edges of those would have been just fine! chicken of the woods is one that regardless of how old(to an extent of not being rotten) the new growth on the edges is almost always good. next time jut harvest the outer 2 inches or so.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually the outter edges of those would have been just fine! chicken of the woods is one that regardless of how old(to an extent of not being rotten) the new growth on the edges is almost always good. next time jut harvest the outer 2 inches or so.

I usually just harvest the tender outer parts. They’re my favorite, even more so than morels. My wife prefers morels.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice mushrooms! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread