Newbie in Pennsylvania looking for some general tips. Thanks

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't really help you with the places to hunt where your at, but think about where people went years ago. Any old parks? All the land around you people lost stuff everywhere and some was hidden on purpose. I sugguest you get Charles Garrett's book, Successful Coin Hunting He lists places to hunt that you might not ever think of.

As for Tips, check out the major manufacture's websites to learn about the many different kinds of detectors. They are tools, some are better at one type of hunting and some excel at others. Buy the best you can afford. Overlap your sweeps, don't make a mess in retrieving! Leave the area so nobody can tell you were there.

Subscribe to Western & Eastern Treasures magazine.

Good Luck.
Sandman

geckokid

Aug 4, 2007
Delaware, USA
Detector(s) used
Eldorado
Check back yards, old parks, fields, Crop fields, sidewalk strips, Beaches.
Do research on the internet. Ask around and join a Metal detecting club.

Oh, one more thing. Learn your what your MD is telling you. The more you use it the better you will get!!
And I dig all pull tabs that where the Gold comes up as. So if you don't dig the pull tabs you might be passing up a gold ring.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Yes. I agree with both these guys... read professional pubs and mags.

Also... this web site right here has enough material to keep you reading for the next three years.

I do however think you outta also get out there and learn your machine as soon as possible, thereby getting you away from books and onto some finds. :) No matter what - you live in a great place to learn the hobby and enjoy it forever... the North East is a treasure digger's Meca.

Welcome to the hobby, and to TreasureNet!

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dont know what part of Pa you're from but, the Carnegie Library in Oakland, (Pittsburgh) has a wonderful room called of all things "The Pennsylvania Room".

It has history galore on the state.

You can check your local historical society, seems lots of areas have some sort of small museum or such.

I've recently discovered the weekly Sunday Pittsburgh Post Gazette, in the real estate section, has been featuring very old turn of the century houses for sale that have been redone. It even gives some history of the area where the house is.

Look around at all the historical road markers...that'll give you some good tips. Tops of a lot of the really old buildings, like businesses and old hotels, have date blocks or stones in them.

The Pennsylvania turnpike was built mostly along old indian trails....

Pennsylvania was stripped of almost all its lumber at one time or another so some areas are full of lumber camps that can no longer be seen...unless you really, really look.

I could go on...but...do some research in your own locale. Research to me is half the fun.

Al

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
Most of the open areas are hunted until near desolation, except for popular warm climate beaches..

I know where to find old coins, new coins, and a bit of nice jewelry. Newer jewelry is found more easily in certain other places besides beaches. I don't want to share too much info because people in my area will figure it out if I do and they'll beat me to it.. Here are a couple of hints though:

Think about where you would get out of your car or horse-drawn buggy and spill something out of your pocket or purse as you remove your keys, tie up your horse ( a long time ago) . .

Where would places like that be? Tavern parking areas? Dirt parking lots? Small grassy areas? Greens inside the cities? Hobo hideouts? Kid's hideouts? Be careful though and take some protection with you when you go where bums sleep, or you could fall victim to a very bad situation!

These are the only really virgin places left to hunt and still find old keepers. I will not say exactly where these best places are in my area but they are still there and nobody but me seems to search them because of fear factors. I know of even better places too, but I reserve those places for myself alone. It's MY secret and we all have to have secrets.

There is a lot more to searching them than one thinks too, but I will let you all figure that one out by yourselves. One very good lesson though, is that you should NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use too much sensitivity or discrimination past small nails, or too powerful a detector, or else you will lose a whole lot of really good stuff! DO NOT think that you will do better with a $1200 detector than a cheap $200 one, because you won't! It's the area searched plus the operator experience that makes the big difference.

Get there fast, because if I get there before you do, I will hunt the place out so clean you could lick your lunch off the grass there without using a plate or eating utensils, and you wouldn't get sick doing it either. There ain't nuttin' left when I get through. And keep a close watch looking over your shoulders.

'Nuff said.. That will be $25.00 Cash, VISA, or USPS Money Order

EasyMoney.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread