Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2020
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am a total newbie. I purchased a Garrett Ace 400 and a Garrett Pro-Pointer AT. I did go detecting with a friend that helped me out with the new machine. I have been hunting around a rental house that I own that dates at least to the 1950's, and probably late 1940's. I am getting better at finding coins, but today all I found was 8 memorial pennies. Any suggestions for this rank amateur.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here are a few:

Swing with the coil parallel with the ground just touching the grass. Grid the area with flags or some other markers. Dig everything, you never know what is under ground.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well if you've already found 8 cents, I would say you're doing something right. Take the time to learn your machine and what it is telling you. Set up a test garden with various coins, pull tabs, bottle tops, rings, etc. and pay attention to your detector as you swing over each item. Experience will come with time. Be patient and you will be rewarded. Good luck. :icon_thumleft:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Practice, practice, practice ! The more you hunt, the quicker you will get use to your detector. Dig every signal at first to learn the tones, and even at that, after over 30 years of detecting, I still dig about 90 % of my signals. I don't want to miss anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions