Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
My family immigrated and homesteaded in Central Texas in the 1870's. The land (around 1,000 acres at one point) was completely undeveloped when they arrived, except for the remains of an old rock wall. A piece of metal was found along the rock wall that was later identified as a piece of Spanish body armor (part of a breastplate, i think). The piece was donated to the local museum many years later, along with a Native American arrow removed from my Great Grandfather's leg; the arrow resulting from a late Indian uprising in the area. I saw the arrow on display at the museum in my youth, along with the historical account, but never saw the piece of armor.

I never lived on the property, but my dad grew up there. The property was sold in 1962, but our family was allowed to hunt and fish on the property for many years afterward. I would always see the remains of the old rock wall from the dirt road every time I went from the main house down to the creek. As a kid, I would always want to stop and explore the wall (there had to be more treasure there), but my dad always said no. Dad would say that the wall was covered with grapevine and snakes would hang out there for the grapes.

Last edited:

charles2420

Sep 19, 2019
austin, tx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My family immigrated and homesteaded in Central Texas in the 1870's. The land (around 1,000 acres at one point) was completely undeveloped when they arrived, except for the remains of an old rock wall. A piece of metal was found along the rock wall that was later identified as a piece of Spanish body armor (part of a breastplate, i think). The piece was donated to the local museum many years later, along with a Native American arrow removed from my Great Grandfather's leg; the arrow resulting from a late Indian uprising in the area. I saw the arrow on display at the museum in my youth, along with the historical account, but never saw the piece of armor.

I never lived on the property, but my dad grew up there. The property was sold in 1962, but our family was allowed to hunt and fish on the property for many years afterward. I would always see the remains of the old rock wall from the dirt road every time I went from the main house down to the creek. As a kid, I would always want to stop and explore the wall (there had to be more treasure there), but my dad always said no. Dad would say that the wall was covered with grapevine and snakes would hang out there for the grapes.
It would be worthwhile to explore that area in more detail w/a metal detector

dougachim

Jan 30, 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a guy who found a knife near El Paso I have some stuff that was used in the mines near Silver City New Mexico. There is a guy near San Antonio who has a fantastic collection and the chairman of the board of King Ranch also has a great collection, I am trying to get an invite to go see it. I have other stuff but it is all from Chihuahua and southern new Mexico

Attachments

• IMGP9196.JPG
    IMGP9196.JPG
    689.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMGP9197.JPG
    IMGP9197.JPG
    902.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMGP9198.JPG
    IMGP9198.JPG
    772.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMGP9199.JPG
    IMGP9199.JPG