FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo-108.JPG
photo-112.JPG photo-109.JPG I really love making driftwood/shipwreckwood furniture !! Its my favorite advenure art, and always starts with a beach combing mangrove stomping driftwood hunt !! I usally see a piece in the sea weed and boom the whole thing shapes up in my mind as im hunting wood for frame and legs. I love utilizing my metaldetected hard ware in these pieces so both hobbies inspire each other !!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ah. A man who knows his fly-fishing history. I have a copy of Frank Sawyer's book "Nymphs and the Trout" (that I gleefully found at a used book store at an affordable price) and that is where I found the pattern and instructions. It truly is a killer nymph pattern.

The Hopper is my favorite smallmouth bass fly. It's all synthetic and a foam body so it floats great and holds up. Once in a while a trout falls to it as well. It's a fun tie.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20201001_181831.jpg making some wooden mallets for my friends and fellow woodworkers. I just got done with a tremendous stack of hardwood for a ceiling job. We have buckets of hardwood stickers. These stickers are used to space the boards out when stacking them.....they allow air flow around the wood and eliminate moisture and mold. At the end of the project you will have piles of these stickers left. Instead of burning them or throwing them away I will repurpose them into mallets and other small glue up projects.....i hate wasting even the saw dust. Seems the saw dust can be used to cultivate mushrooms.....we will give it a try.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Liking the mallet idea Bart! I try to get the most out of material too! Doesn't make sense to waste if there's a use. My time is well spent saving stuff like that in my mind.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I restore old bamboo flyrods and when a detecting buddy mentioned he received a bamboo flyrod from his Uncle, I asked if I could see it. Turns out it was manufactured by James Heddon's Sons from Dowagiac, Michigan. The flyrod is hand labeled with, "Expert made by Heddon". I did some research and the "Expert" model was only manufactured between 1948 to 1954. Fiberglass fishing rods originated in the early 50's and many of the rod manufacturers switched over to this new material.

I asked if I could restore the rod and my buddy agreed. Here's some before and after pics. This 66 year-old flyrod is now ready to hit the streams again!

Before:

P5060035 (3).JPG

P5060037 (3).JPG

P5060055 (2).JPG

P5060050 (2).JPG

After:
Expert.jpg

made by.jpg

heddon.jpg

stripper guide.jpg

snake guide black.jpg

The rod has been re-varnished and new guides attached with a burgundy colored thread. The thread wraps have three coats of spar varnish.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting your mill vid Bart! Here's a couple pics of mine along with a cutting board I just finished for my daughter out of that bay wood I was talking about. Bay wood in the middle bordered in pine. It's got fantastic grain but the trees I had are not huge. The cutting board was made of 1/2" x 1 1/2" strips glued with the edge grain showing like butcher block.

I missed that post smallfoot ! My bad. Nice mill.....I need one like that....gonna get a woodmizer soon. The Baywood looks awsome in that glue up. Nice work brother !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I restore old bamboo flyrods and when a detecting buddy mentioned he received a bamboo flyrod from his Uncle, I asked if I could see it. Turns out it was manufactured by James Heddon's Sons from Dowagiac, Michigan. The flyrod is hand labeled with, "Expert made by Heddon". I did some research and the "Expert" model was only manufactured between 1948 to 1954. Fiberglass fishing rods originated in the early 50's and many of the rod manufacturers switched over to this new material.

I asked if I could restore the rod and my buddy agreed. Here's some before and after pics. This 66 year-old flyrod is now ready to hit the streams again!

Before:

View attachment 1871141

View attachment 1871142

View attachment 1871143

View attachment 1871144

After:
View attachment 1871145

View attachment 1871146

View attachment 1871147

View attachment 1871148

View attachment 1871149

The rod has been re-varnished and new guides attached with a burgundy colored thread. The thread wraps have three coats of spar varnish.

I know this handiwork....the master is back at work. Beautiful SD !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20201012_163727.jpg just learning how to carve wood....only my 4th or 5th try !! Sometimes things come easy and the first time I picked up a chisel and Mallett it felt like I had been doing it in a past life. This piece has more details to go and I'll give it to the boys at B.C.C. bronze cannon corp. Just wanted to give those guys something back for giving me a shot on the treasure diving boat !!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1871188 just learning how to carve wood....only my 4th or 5th try !! Sometimes things come easy and the first time I picked up a chisel and Mallett it felt like I had been doing it in a past life. This piece has more details to go and I'll give it to the boys at B.C.C. bronze cannon corp. Just wanted to give those guys something back for giving me a shot on the treasure diving boat !!

GOD given talent brother!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread