Red touches Yellow, your a dead fellow!

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look what we came across exploring Seminole State Forest yesterday. E12992ED-B5BB-482A-8135-63806CD4D0E7.jpeg

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's awesome! Beautiful snake. I know they're around here, but I've never seen one.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hate snakes! All kinds even the human kind. I rather not cross paths with one.

OP
OP
Flipperfla

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st one for us also. The saying kept running thru my head red touches yellow and kept looking and verifying red and yellow and thought yep, this is the real deal. Had my pistol loaded with CCI Big Four Shot but went for the camera, he wasn’t bothering anyone.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you mess with a coral snake, they won't mess with you. I haven't seen a snake on my property all summer! Maybe they're hiding from covid.

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome coral snake, I actually used to have one many years back, they are actually pretty docile for a venomous snake, they are not rear fanged like a lot of people think and they rarely bite, usually people only get bit when handling or stepping on one, the venom is a nasty one though, it a neural toxin, in humans the bite is almost painless but can cause respiratory failure in a couple hours if not treated with antivenom, it's been a while since I seen one, I do see a lot of mountain king snakes near Prescott Az that try and mock the same colors to scare away predators but they are harmless but very attractive snakes as well. Cool pic, thanks for sharing :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Flipperfla

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could have went bad real fast. It was inches off the trail. I caught him out of the corner of my eye after I passed when it was moving away. I could have easily stepped on it. Maybe I better start wearing my gaiters my wife laughed at me for buying for us for Christmas lol

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful little snake!! Actually they are not that dangerous. They have no fangs, just tiny teeth, and their mouths do not open enough to bite much more than a little toe or pinky finger. Even if one did bite it would have to chew or work it's tiny teeth back and forth enough to break your skin before you could absorb the poison. Almost impossible to get poisoned by one taking a bite at your foot or leg since they can't get their mouths open enough to chew on any but the small extremities. I wouldn't pick one up and tempt fate that it wouldn't bite down on a finger, but I don't fear just being near them. Like stated above, they are fairly docile and don't attack people. They sure are pretty!!

OP
OP
Flipperfla

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It didn’t show any aggression at all, even when I took the pix, he just froze then shot off in the opposite direction from us. Beautiful colors that the camera couldn’t capture.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They sure are a pretty colorful breed of snake. Snakes are good for insect and rodent control.

KeyaPaha

Oct 12, 2015
Naper, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D and now M6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you care to check ToddsPoint, there are 4 species of venomous snakes in Illinois.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool snake. I think the fangs are in the back of the mouth but like another poster said just let them be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread