best way to keep bees out of my water

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i when out to the desert today to drywash,i use a blue bowl for clean up.it uses 3 gal of water ,i try to keep it covered ,the the bees came and took over,i have a new dog and she was trying to eat them.not good, i heard that adding apple cider vinegar to the water would help?? any other ideas???
thank you brad Resized_20200909_083257.jpeg Resized_20200909_064921.jpeg Resized_20200909_070741.jpeg

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try putting out a water tray, where your dog can't get to it, just for the bees.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have an apiary in the wooded field next to our house. The guys and girls that tend it told me that bees are attracted to bright, dark colours but not to pale colours. Bee-keeper suits are white or cream for a reason… and if there was a colour that ‘repelled’ them then the suits would be dyed that colour.

They confirmed that two tablespoons of vinegar per gallon (any kind, even synthetic) will generally keep bees out of water. I thought that was an old wives’ tale, but apparently not. Bees also prefer ‘dirty’ water (ie pond water over tap water). If you provide an attractive source of water alongside an unattractive source then bees will go for the former, even if there’s a lot less of it.

So, for your own needs you might try using a white or pale coloured bowl if you can get one, with a small amount of vinegar added to the water, and then provide a smaller brightly coloured bowl nearby filled with plain water for the bees.

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS: bees will also preferentially go for water that has the best access. So, floating a (brightly coloured) sponge in the bowl will attract them to that source.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try putting out a water tray, where your dog can't get to it, just for the bees.

This is a very good idea. Kind of like bribing the bees! I do this with the yellow jackets in my yard. I put out a shallow bowl of hummingbird food to keep them away from my feeders. Doesn't keep them all away, but the hummingbirds only have to fend off a couple of bees at the feeders.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apple cider vinegar actually draws bees to water. I use vinegar with a few drops of dish soap in a small bowl of water. This is very effective on killing yellow jackets. I have a couple bee hives. Honey bees carry water to their hive and use the water to cool the hive through evaporation. The vinegar water solution does'nt attract honey bees, only yellow jackets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread