Old Whites XLT or buy new? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Old Whites XLT or buy new?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jun 2020
    Lincolnton, GA.
    66 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Well, looks like I'm mainly looking at the Ace Apex, Vanquish 540 and the Simplex. But the Simplex being single frequency....not sure I want that. And the Equinox 600 is a little higher than I really would like to spend.

us
    Jun 2020
    Lincolnton, GA.
    66 times
    Any words of wisdom on these rigs?

us
    Jan 2015
    Morris County, NJ
    Minelab Equinox 800 White's MXT
    986 times
    Gold Prospecting + Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by halo71 View Post
    Any words of wisdom on these rigs?
    Earlier in the thread I mentioned that a friend got a Minelab Vanquish, and it was performing well. I've been out with him since and it continues to perform well and he's very happy with it.
    I can say this: Minelab support here in the US is good. I had to have mine repaired and they fixed it for free, and quickly.

Someone recently asked me about Garrett so I checked out eh Apex; it seems like a strong contender and some of the non-biased opinions I read seemed to declare it an excellent alternative to the Vanquish and Equinox 600. Personally I've never liked Garretts - something about their display on the detector itself just didn't click with me.

As for Nokta Simplex, I watched a couple videos on the detector and people also seem happy with it. One video showed it alongside an Equinox and even an XP Deus and the claim was that the Simplex was finding the same items (mostly coins) in an old house's yard. But I suspect it's not as flexible as a multi-frequency (Vanquish, Apex) so the ultimate answer may depend on what you detect for.

My final thoughts: review the controls carefully and especially things like switching between all-metal and other modes because you will use those buttons / controls all the time, hundreds of times per hunt. Check out how the detector pinpoints because you'll probably use that a lot too. Minelab uses -10 to 40 VDI while the others use 0-100; I'm ok with the -10 to 40 range, but are you?
    Since all 3 detectors can get the job done, get the one that you think you'll like be most comfortable with using (via the controls).

us
    Jun 2020
    Lincolnton, GA.
    66 times
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc053 View Post
    Personally I've never liked Garretts - something about their display on the detector itself just didn't click with me.
    I feel that way with the 540. It just looks cheap and dated to me while the Apex looks pretty modern. I've used Garretts before and liked them. Mainly the GTI1500 and GTI2500.

How important is that the Apex, ya can't do firmware updates. While the 540 ya can? Also the single frequency mode of the Simplex I am not sure about.

I don't do beach hunting much ever. Mostly hunt for coins and CW stuff. Right now I am leaning towards the Apex.

us
    Jan 2015
    Morris County, NJ
    Minelab Equinox 800 White's MXT
    986 times
    Gold Prospecting + Metal Detecting
    I feel that way with the 540. It just looks cheap and dated to me while the Apex looks pretty modern. I've used Garretts before and liked them. Mainly the GTI1500 and GTI2500.

How important is that the Apex, ya can't do firmware updates. While the 540 ya can? Also the single frequency mode of the Simplex I am not sure about.

I don't do beach hunting much ever. Mostly hunt for coins and CW stuff. Right now I am leaning towards the Apex.
    If it breaks the tie: Garrett’s an American company so you’d be Buying American.
    DeepseekerADS and halo71 like this.

us
    Jun 2020
    Lincolnton, GA.
    66 times
    One last question. How big a deal/difference is it to have a single frequency detector like the Simplex. Over mutli frequency detectors like the Vanquish 540 or Ace Apex? I will mainly be coin or relic hunting. No beach or water.

Charter Member
    us
    Low & Slow 2C Below

Sep 2017
    SW Washington
    Nox 800, CTX 3030, XP DEUS, Excalibur II Garrett AT Max, Whites DFX, Vanquish 540
    3581 times
    One last question. How big a deal/difference is it to have a single frequency detector like the Simplex. Over mutli frequency detectors like the Vanquish 540 or Ace Apex? I will mainly be coin or relic hunting. No beach or water.
    Embrace the new technology.

Here is some logic.

1990’ technology
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	66A2D64C-DA1A-4347-B66A-D9FCA069326C.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	1869114Name:  1E0C4687-EA70-4516-994E-245BD7761183.jpeg
Views: 51
Size:  25.7 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	9319D067-A055-4E4B-BD05-617BE5ED210B.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	1869118

2020 Technology

Name:	8C9243CB-9740-43AE-B970-129817237CC0.jpeg 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	1869116Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5C7CFA12-8AB2-469C-A339-FFC08133BCA9.jpeg 
Views:	6 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	1869117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7E48CCDB-9255-437E-8427-2B1B7D49F2C6.jpeg 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	1869119

Not knocking old detectors. With proper research you can find treasure with any detector even one of these

Name:	7CCED6BA-8EA1-40BA-BBA3-147FB302237C.jpeg 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	1869120

What I’m saying is that you could increase your chances of getting more treasure by adopting the new technology.

Cheers
    "If you can cut the people off from their
    history, then they can be easily persuaded."
    ~ Karl Marx

"History does not long entrust the
    care of freedom to the weak or the timid."
    ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

us
    Jun 2020
    Lincolnton, GA.
    66 times
    WaterScoop....thanks. But I've already decided to buy a new detector. See my question just above your reply? That's where i need advice right now. That's what is holding me up at the moment.

si
    Nov 2017
    Countryside
    DBP2010, eeTH
    230 times
    Practicaly it Will make no diference.
    halo71 likes this.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    17444 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    i still used my 25 yr old xlt and still go to spots others "hunted" out and i pull old silver
    xlt loves small silver - half dimes half reales and small cut coins
    dokc and michael NY like this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

Charter Member
    us
    Low & Slow 2C Below

Sep 2017
    SW Washington
    Nox 800, CTX 3030, XP DEUS, Excalibur II Garrett AT Max, Whites DFX, Vanquish 540
    3581 times
    WaterScoop....thanks. But I've already decided to buy a new detector. See my question just above your reply? That's where i need advice right now. That's what is holding me up at the moment.
    If you are watching your pennies I strongly recommend the Minelab Vanquish series. The 540 is a super nice machine. My son has one and the way it folds into itself and is 30” in length it makes it an awesome space saver.

Also look around the forum. Many folks have the Vanquish series and live their machine.

Cheers
    ~ Karl Marx

~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

Charter Member
    us
    Low & Slow 2C Below

Sep 2017
    SW Washington
    3581 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-2 View Post
    i still used my 25 yr old xlt and still go to spots others "hunted" out and i pull old silver
    xlt loves small silver - half dimes half reales and small cut coins
    Even this computer can write the next best seller.

Name:	5F9DC2DC-8060-4AD7-AB54-9142A16B6751.jpeg 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	1869310

It’s always the Indian and never the arrow! But then again I’m preaching to the choir.<grin>

Name:	F31DF44D-BA0B-40D1-9948-6544621F2F86.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	1869311
    ~ Karl Marx

~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

us
    Daylight is buring

Nov 2007
    USA
    Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
    341 times
    Metal Detecting
    I agree some what with you about the detectors. Minelab is having water issues with there machine not good just because it's shiny new tec, I purchased the Explorer XS when it came out still have it and it finds coins. I purchased a used Minelab Sovereign XS in 2001 it found not only coin that went for W&E Best Finds but a ton of old coins. My first Reale dug was with a Garrett Grand Master Hunter CX III
    Different Brands models coils have proven successfully that's why I keep older machines. Different sights ground conditions one detector does better. Finally the operator interpreting signals. Don't underestimate experienced guy with older detector. Best luck with your finds.
    halo71 likes this.

us
    Big Boys Hobbies

Jul 2005
    Moore Oklahoma
    Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
    721 times
    Metal Detecting
    I asked about buying a detector a while back after I joined TN. I was wanting to get back into detecting. And was given a few suggestion within what I wanted to spend. Well from that time to now, I put off buying a new detector and bought a new Z71 Silverado instead. And then my ex father-in-law gave me a pretty old XLT detector. The one I used to use when he and I would go detecting.

My question is...with all the advances in electronics and software etc. over the years. Would I be better off buying a more modern detector? The XLT is around 20 years old. My budget for a new detector would be $400-$500 range max. Cheaper the better!
    The newer ones are MUCH better in iron and trash. If you can snag it cheap it might be worth it. At least until you can get a newer more advanced one.

In your price range the Garrett APEX Metal Detector might be your best bet. They are very good little Detectors for the money. Being a multi frequency they have a huge advantage on just about everything out. If you can save up a little bit I would look at the Minelab Equinox 600. Those are absolutely outstanding machines.

Feel free to call us if you have more questions. The glad to go over with you. Be sure to mention the forum when you call!
    halo71 likes this.

Contact us for fastest and best service around!

We will beat any price or deal. Have questions on a machine?
    Bart@BigBoysHobbies.net or Call or text 405-206-9010
    Minelab Metal Detectors, Nokta Makro Metal Detectors, Garrett Metal Detectors, XP Deus, Fisher Metal Detectors, Teknetics Metal Detectors

Minelab Partner of the year award for the USA 2012. Minelab Customer service award 2012 and 2013.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links